PackersNews.net Forum
The way a Packers forum SHOULD be.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Packers OL Draft Status
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PackersNews.net Forum Forum Index -> Packers Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle.McCarroll
The Data Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Packers OL Draft Status Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of people making comments on how TT needs to focus on the OL earlier in the draft instead of building a make-shift line full of late round draft picks without really knowing what they are talking about.

So why don't we lay out the facts?

I got this chart off of another forum. It breaks down the draft position and age for each starting OL for every team in the NFL. The averages are then tallied.

Our OL's average draft positon is 84.0. That's 9th best in the NFL.

So blame Campen. Blame McCarthy. But this one (like most) isn't on TT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, drafting high does not equate to drafting well. The Lions are #4 on the list and they all are seasoned vets.
Kyle.McCarroll
The Data Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoc wrote:
Of course, drafting high does not equate to drafting well. The Lions are #4 on the list and they all are seasoned vets.

Oh come on. Everyone knows the Lions aren't a real football team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, draft status doesn't matter much. The concern is that the line hasn't played consistently, not where we draft guys. Poor scouting, poor scheme, poor coaching, whatever it is, 'we need to get it fixed'. Maybe this young group of lineman will come together.

I like to think we have good potential in Lang and Merideth but they are probably a year or two away (I'd guess) from really finding out if they have what it takes to become starters.

I'm watching the Dolphins/Colts game now and although Peyton is a great QB, he has had an unbelievable line for many years and that gives him all the time in the world with a good run game to boot.

That's the kind of consistency we used to have and I'm anxious for us to get back there (Clifton, Tauscher, Winters, Whale, Rivera).
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulu wrote:
Good point, draft status doesn't matter much. The concern is that the line hasn't played consistently, not where we draft guys. Poor scouting, poor scheme, poor coaching, whatever it is, 'we need to get it fixed'. Maybe this young group of lineman will come together.

I like to think we have good potential in Lang and Merideth but they are probably a year or two away (I'd guess) from really finding out if they have what it takes to become starters.

I'm watching the Dolphins/Colts game now and although Peyton is a great QB, he has had an unbelievable line for many years and that gives him all the time in the world with a good run game to boot.

That's the kind of consistency we used to have and I'm anxious for us to get back there (Clifton, Tauscher, Winters, Whale, Rivera).

Peyton's line is terrible.

He throws the ball so fast it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see TT bring in a top FA next year to anchor the OL.

I'd also be shocked if it happened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulu wrote:

Of course, the core of that line was together a few years and became very good. This line should is still a year or two away with two new starters. They looked very good in preseason even if it was for only a half or less of each game. I have confidence they'll gel together quite well - eventually.
Kyle.McCarroll
The Data Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foosball wrote:

It's never good enough for the TT haters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me thinks the new GM will be drafting one in the 2010 draft, if things don't improve.
cindoc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackie2001 wrote:
Quote:

Me thinks the new GM will be drafting one in the 2010 draft, if things don't improve.

With his history, I'd be surprised if he didn't draft an OL. He usually does, multiple ones.
Mackie2001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoc wrote:
Mackie2001 wrote:
Quote:

With his history, I'd be surprised if he didn't draft an OL. He usually does, multiple ones.

I was thinking more along the lines of a top five pick in the first round and it won't be TT.
cindoc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Top five pick? Expecting a good year are we? Wink
Mackie2001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoc wrote:
Hmmm. Top five pick? Expecting a good year are we? Wink

My only question is, how many qbs will end up on the IR. We just might find out if Brohm's a player or not...in a real game.
twobrian5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackie2001 wrote:
cindoc wrote:
Mackie2001 wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of a top five pick in the first round and it won't be TT.

I'm one of the bigger soap box screamers about TT and the O-line, but I don't think we'll be looking at a top 5 pick unless drastic injury occurs. I think that the things we're worrying about this week won't be talked about this time next week. They'll fix some of the problems and we'll be worried about the Vikings for week 4.
yooperfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle.McCarroll wrote:
Foosball wrote:

It's never good enough for the TT haters.

hey kyle quit throwing the hater tag out there just because a fan would like to see a all pro line, who wouldn't want a good line, and after 4 years and what we saw yesterday people have a right to bitch.

besides all the hater tag does is divide the forum and the issues..

I stand up for ted most times, cliffy is on his last legs, likely wont be back next year, we needed a backup tackle yesterday, sure colledge will be alright next week, we'll need one next year, everyone new colledge was the backup this year, maybe he should have been ready to play it, mac thought he could step in without practice, wow..

kyle most people are getting tired of mcCarthy's patented excuses because of his poor preparation, now thats not hate, it's just reality
now mac's failures fall back to ted, a backup LT may emerge from within next camp who knows, but one will be needed, was needed yesterday, this oline is a strke against all involved, campen, mac and ted, and people have a right to be pissed.... Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PackersNews.net Forum Forum Index -> Packers Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: