Bart Starr (from Bogey's Jim Taylor thread)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Bart Starr (from Bogey's Jim Taylor thread)

Postby JustJeff » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:25 pm

JustJeff
Commissioner
Commissioner

Re: Jim Taylor, ladies and gentlemen!

Postby ESKYMOPACK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:33 pm

You are da man JJ. Like I said, I'm generally not one to stand in line to get someones autograph. But that man was more than a great football player!!
In Memory of JustJeff
ESKYMOPACK

Postby Bogey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:02 am

Criticuria wrote:Great story, and a great thing to do for Mr. Taylor ... being recognized & appreciated never gets old.

Ye, I felt good about that.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Postby RingoCStarrQB » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Dowler to the left Dale to the right. Split backfield Taylor and Hornung. Starr under center barking out signals (not to mention Vince Lombardi on the sideline).

Hey........What's this Dick Stanfel HOF senior guard nomination dadada woooooooooooo bang pooeey phooey stuff!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-of-fame/

JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, !!!!!

Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE PACK WILL BE BACK
'There are football fans and there are Packer fans' 1-13-2002
'Green Bay, I hope you're proud of us because we're proud of you' 1-12-1997
'Well then run it, and then let's get the hell out of here' 12-31-1967
RingoCStarrQB

Re: Bart Starr (from Bogey's Jim Taylor thread)

Postby Bogey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:54 am

JustJeff wrote:Image

Bart is clearly the greatest of them all, JJ. Not just the greatest of the Packers, ever, but the greatest of the NFL, ever, anywhere.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Postby OldPackerFan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Bogey wrote:

Bart is clearly the greatest of them all, JJ. Not just the greatest of the Packers, ever, but the greatest of the NFL, ever, anywhere.

I'll second that. He always put the Packers needs above his welfare, as a player and as a coach. Not just on the field but for a lifetime. In doing that, he made himself the greatest Packer ever.
OldPackerFan

Postby Bogey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 am

Bart Starr is such a great man and and a great Packer.

I wish I had taken better advantage of my chances with him.

In 1967, I was at a benefit rock concert for Rawhide (one of Bart's favorite charities). I think the headliners were the Buckinghams ("Kind of a Drag") and the New Colony Six ("Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice").

I was standing near one of the doors when a man walked up beside me. "Are you having fun?" he asked (or something like that). I turned. It was Bart Starr, fresh off the Packers win over KC in Super Bowl I. I was so awestruck I can't even remember what I said, but it had to be really lame.

Fast forward to the fall of 1976. I'm a fledgling sportswriter/sports editor for the Green Bay News-Chronicle. For the next two years, I covered the Packers and Bart as head coach. I had the chance to interview Bart at least twice a week during the season and often enough in the off-season. I decided I had to put my fandom aside and be "professional" and keep my emotional distance.

Looking back, I would give anything. ANYTHING. Just once. JUST ONCE. To say "Bart, I don't care what your record is as head coach, you are the greatest Packer of all time."

My God, the things we regret as we look back on our lives. The things we didn't do. The chances we let slip by.

It's like Doc Graham says in Field of Dreams: "You always think, 'well, there will be other days.' Later you find that that was the only day."
Bogey

Postby Bogey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:41 am

You're as classy as Bart, Jeff. Thanks for everything. We miss you.
Bogey

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:20 pm

I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
JKB

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum