Defense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Defense

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Haven't really played the who's who of offenses this year, but does any other stat make you feel more excited about our chances this year than this? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bytea ... timeframe=
BF004

Re: Defense

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:54 pm

#3 scoring defense at 17.8 pts a game, tied with unbeated Carolina.

Also #2 in sacks to Denver.

Plus we are probably the first to point out about 3-4 garbage time TD's we've given up after the game has already been decided.
BF004

Postby YoHoChecko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:55 pm

I was just about to post something very similar. Think about the teams whose defenses have been talked up as carrying their teams this year: Jets, Broncos, panthers come to mind. And we're in that league at the moment.

T3rd in points allowed
8th in yards allowed
7th in passing yards allowed
T2nd in sacks
YoHoChecko

Postby Bigcheese » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:06 pm

I was looking forward to seeing our defensive stats.

RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Small sample size, but I will take it! This last game really helped. I hope we can keep it up. Would be great to see a top 5-10 defense again.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby NCF » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Chiefs and Bears at the bottom...

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Jim T » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:Small sample size, but I will take it! This last game really helped. I hope we can keep it up. Would be great to see a top 5-10 defense again.

Small sample size, yes. But it is the only sample we have to go with now. I really like how our defense is playing now. I won't let a few lapses here and there bring my enthusiam down. Every defense will have their bad plays or series. Hopefully we will eliminate the bad games.
You think these are tough times? For your sake, I hope you never see tough times.
Jim T

Postby Jim T » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:18 pm

NCF wrote:Chiefs and Bears at the bottom...

Thanks in part to the Packers. :wink:
You think these are tough times? For your sake, I hope you never see tough times.
Jim T

Postby salmar80 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:18 pm

BF004 wrote:Haven't really played the who's who of offenses this year, but does any other stat make you feel more excited about our chances this year than this?

The only stat I'm more exited about is 4-0.

And it can get better: We haven't gotten as many turnovers as usual, but with THAT pass rush, the INTs will come.

Garbage time scores will probably bring us down a bit, though. No matter.
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
salmar80

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Jim T wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:Small sample size, but I will take it! This last game really helped. I hope we can keep it up. Would be great to see a top 5-10 defense again.

Small sample size, yes. But it is the only sample we have to go with now.

Ya, why I said I will take it...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Kyle.McCarroll » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Give Rodgers a top 5-10 defense and good luck beating him.

The defense should only continue to improve throughout the year as they gel as a unit.

DL is very deep and very talented. We have tons of pass rushers. Putting Clay inside means our ILB's are no longer a liability and possibility even a strength. And those young DB's will only get better.

We could really have something this year guys.
Kyle.McCarroll
The Data Master

Postby YoHoChecko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm

I also would like to point out that while our rush defense is only 21st, that's due mostly to 2 things: Matt Forte and QB scrambles.

M. Forte: 24 for 141
M. Lynch: 15 for 41
J. Charles: 11 for 49
C. Hyde: 8 for 20

After week one, that is some pretty darn good containment of some pretty darn good backs.

Cutler, Wilson, Smith, and Kaepernick have combined for 30 carries for 199 yards, with Smith and Cutler getting just over 30, Kaepernick getting 57, and Wilson getting 78. I think we can mostly agree that Smith, Cutler, and even Kaepernick didn't really consistently hurt the team, but mostly were simply "take what you can get" scrambles when the coverage was good or the pass rush flushed the pocket.

The eye test says that we played a more penetrating style/scheme after week one, but I don't know if that was just anecdotal or execution differences. Either way, the run D has played very well against some good challenges for 3 weeks now.

After getting through Gurley next week, the run challenges should be of an easier variety for a while--until Peterson. And no more mobile QBs until Newton November 8th
YoHoChecko

Postby YoHoChecko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Also, this is that dangerous time of year where the sample size is too small to be meaningful, but the ease of multiplication by 4 makes projections too common, but I'm jumping in by mentioning that we have 4 different players "on track" for 10 or more sacks this year--and another at 8.
YoHoChecko

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:02 pm

well it's sure a good thing we have a coach like McCarthy who was able to finally fix this defense, we need to fire Capers and just let Mike run it, he looks a bit bored anyway, I noticed he jumped in when Clements and Rodgers where going HS ball and pulled them out of there funk, but then he went back to thinking what should I do next and standing around, I've seen many giving credit to MIke for our defensive turn around, why not fire Capers and let him carry the show.

there are a select few who will never give credit to Capers for anything
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Bigcheese » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:03 pm

yoop wrote:there are a select few who will never give credit to Capers for anything

He has a great comb over. :wink:
RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

Next

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum