Defense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Defense

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:As a whole it was a good performance. Never denied that. I just thought we could have done better stoppping the run.

Mod Edit: Please keep your posts about football and not about other posters.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Mod Edit: If you are so offended by the nonsense, please stop replying to it.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:50 pm

Mod Edit: Again, posts about other posters are not acceptable. Knock it off already.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Kyle.McCarroll » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:The Rams stuck with the run because the run was successful. Why would they stick with it if it was not?

Prob better to say they stuck with the run because it wasn't sucking as hard as the passing game.
Kyle.McCarroll
The Data Master

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Kyle.McCarroll wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:The Rams stuck with the run because the run was successful. Why would they stick with it if it was not?

Prob better to say they stuck with the run because it wasn't sucking as hard as the passing game.

amen to that.

heck they had Foles measured up for a casket at the end of the first qtr, If they had kept trying to pass no telling what may have happened to him, we had it dialed up pretty good when they started to run more, once that starts happening, you've got to do something to save your QB, because it can get really ugly, when you can't stop guys from blowing through gaps as CM and crew where doing there hitting that QB with a full head of steam, and no amount of padding really helps, ouchie :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby RingoCStarrQB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:13 pm

72 Sacks
Postby RingoCStarrQB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Packers are only averaging 4 sacks a game. Packers need to crank it up to an average of 4.727272727272727 sacks a game to tie the NFL regular season record of 72. A lofty but attainable goal for the Packers great defense.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ ... e64ae4a6f0

GO PACKERs

THE PACK WILL BE BACK
'There are football fans and there are Packer fans' 1-13-2002
'Green Bay, I hope you're proud of us because we're proud of you' 1-12-1997
'Well then run it, and then let's get the hell out of here' 12-31-1967
THE PACK WILL BE BACK
'There are football fans and there are Packer fans' 1-13-2002
'Green Bay, I hope you're proud of us because we're proud of you' 1-12-1997
'Well then run it, and then let's get the hell out of here' 12-31-1967
RingoCStarrQB

Postby MazrimIV » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Here I thought this thread would be a (more or less) positive thread regarding the resurgence of the defense. Instead I find an extended discussion regarding how much (or little) credit to give Capers. Who cares?! I really don't see much point in debating which segment of the coaching staff deserves the most credit. The team seems to have figured something out on that side of the ball. I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. One thing I will say is that I wasn't shy about calling for Capers' head since 2011. So in fairness, I think I have to say that I think he's been doing a great job THIS season... since week 1.

To me, there are a few things that really stand out as being different from the past several years

- Reduced mistakes in the secondary. We've all seen the blown coverage assignments on the defensive side. From 2011 - 2013 it was almost comical how often opposing players would be running free in the GB secondary. Those breakdowns have been almost non-existent this season. Read something a couple weeks back about how the calls have been simplified on the defensive side. It seems to be paying dividends.

- DL is penetrating rather than 2 gapping. This team hasn't had the personnel for 2 gapping since Pickett began his decline and Jolly went all purple drank. Unfortunately, the team continued playing 2 gap with guys who weren't best suited for it. The poor results were predictable. It's been fun seeing Raji, Daniels, Guion and even Pennel playing on the other side of the LOS.

- ILB is no longer a liability. Even in my wildest dreams I never would have thought Matthews would be the force he is at ILB. IMO, the team is now using Matthews in exactly the right way to maximize his talent. It has to be hell on the opposing offense knowing that Clay could literally be lining up across from any gap. I also think using Thomas in dime is a step in the right direction. I don't know if he's the long-term guy, but at least the team is finally putting someone out there with legit coverage ability.

- OLB rotation. For the first time since the team adopted the 3-4, there is a legit rotation of OLB's. Peppers has been a great addition, Perry and Neal are finally (until this past week) healthy, and Elliot looks to be a player. The team can now rotate guys at OLB without seeing a significant drop-off. Being able to keep the edge rushers fresh makes a huge difference.
Drink the Kool-Aid!!!
MazrimIV

Postby kampmanfan4life » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:28 pm

MazrimIV wrote:Here I thought this thread would be a (more or less) positive thread regarding the resurgence of the defense. Instead I find an extended discussion regarding how much (or little) credit to give Capers. Who cares?! I really don't see much point in debating which segment of the coaching staff deserves the most credit. The team seems to have figured something out on that side of the ball. I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. One thing I will say is that I wasn't shy about calling for Capers' head since 2011. So in fairness, I think I have to say that I think he's been doing a great job THIS season... since week 1.

To me, there are a few things that really stand out as being different from the past several years

- Reduced mistakes in the secondary. We've all seen the blown coverage assignments on the defensive side. From 2011 - 2013 it was almost comical how often opposing players would be running free in the GB secondary. Those breakdowns have been almost non-existent this season. Read something a couple weeks back about how the calls have been simplified on the defensive side. It seems to be paying dividends.

- DL is penetrating rather than 2 gapping. This team hasn't had the personnel for 2 gapping since Pickett began his decline and Jolly went all purple drank. Unfortunately, the team continued playing 2 gap with guys who weren't best suited for it. The poor results were predictable. It's been fun seeing Raji, Daniels, Guion and even Pennel playing on the other side of the LOS.

- ILB is no longer a liability. Even in my wildest dreams I never would have thought Matthews would be the force he is at ILB. IMO, the team is now using Matthews in exactly the right way to maximize his talent. It has to be hell on the opposing offense knowing that Clay could literally be lining up across from any gap. I also think using Thomas in dime is a step in the right direction. I don't know if he's the long-term guy, but at least the team is finally putting someone out there with legit coverage ability.

- OLB rotation. For the first time since the team adopted the 3-4, there is a legit rotation of OLB's. Peppers has been a great addition, Perry and Neal are finally (until this past week) healthy, and Elliot looks to be a player. The team can now rotate guys at OLB without seeing a significant drop-off. Being able to keep the edge rushers fresh makes a huge difference.

Spot on in my opinion. Hardly ever see a WR running open with a blown coverage, you don't see that with other teams. Not just Capers but all the coaches rotating players to keep them fresh, and we are deep enough those backups are making plays ( Elliot). Its not a perfect Defense but I think as long as we can pressure the QB and not be a liability in the run game we are doing good!
"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."-Vince Lombardi
kampmanfan4life

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Still got the 3rd scoring D at 16.8 pts/game and 2nd in sacks to Denver still.

BF004

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 pm

15th in yards now.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:44 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:15th in yards now.
Tells me likely we've had decent special teams and our offense hasn't turned the ball over much. Both are in fact true.
BF004

Postby YoHoChecko » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:48 pm

BF004 wrote:
Tells me likely we've had decent special teams and our offense hasn't turned the ball over much. Both are in fact true.

Entering this game, the Packers had the BEST post-kickoff starting field position in the league; thanks Zook and Montgomery! (-:
YoHoChecko

Postby NCF » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Entering this game, the Packers had the BEST post-kickoff starting field position in the league; thanks Zook and Montgomery! (-:

Thanks whole KR team. Every time a watch a kick-off return there is a flag on the field and the offense ends up inside the 20. The Packers have done a really nice job of avoiding penalties on returns.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Willink » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:32 am

After Jets and Vikings games today defense is now #1 in the NFL in PPG (16.8), #2 is tie between Denver and Vikings (17.0).
Willink

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:38 am

Willink wrote:After Jets and Vikings games today defense is now #1 in the NFL in PPG (16.8), #2 is tie between Denver and Vikings (17.0).

now if we could only get these yards down we'd be a respectable defense :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

PreviousNext

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum