Defense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Defense

Postby APB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:42 am

Willink wrote:After Jets and Vikings games today defense is now #1 in the NFL in PPG (16.8), #2 is tie between Denver and Vikings (17.0).

It's fantastic to see this defense rated near the top of the league in points allowed but, keep in mind, the opposition hasn't exactly been stellar. Heading into week 7, we've played three of the four worst scoring offenses in the league (SF, STL, CHI) and only one top 10 scoring offensive team (SD). It's been good so far, but not sure we've been fully vetted just yet.
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Defense

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:52 am

Willink wrote:After Jets and Vikings games today defense is now #1 in the NFL in PPG (16.8), #2 is tie between Denver and Vikings (17.0).

And Denvers been talking how their d doesnt get enough respect, lol.
Image
User avatar
BF004
 
Posts: 11126
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Galesville, WI

Re: Defense

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:40 pm

APB wrote:
Willink wrote:After Jets and Vikings games today defense is now #1 in the NFL in PPG (16.8), #2 is tie between Denver and Vikings (17.0).

It's fantastic to see this defense rated near the top of the league in points allowed but, keep in mind, the opposition hasn't exactly been stellar. Heading into week 7, we've played three of the four worst scoring offenses in the league (SF, STL, CHI) and only one top 10 scoring offensive team (SD). It's been good so far, but not sure we've been fully vetted just yet.


It has not been vetted fully, I call that the "after the entire season" rankings.
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.
We will have to win with our offense scoring30+ to go deep in playoffs.
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
User avatar
JKB
 
Posts: 10442
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Defense

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:56 pm

The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 39655
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

Re: Defense

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.


True as far as that goes, 20 yards is not "short " IMO. I know YAC is figured in though.
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
User avatar
JKB
 
Posts: 10442
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Defense

Postby Pugger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Outside of SD - who is head and shoulders above everyone in passing stats, NE and Cincy what offenses have been lights out this year?
User avatar
Pugger
 
Posts: 13663
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL

Re: Defense

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:56 pm

JKB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.


True as far as that goes, 20 yards is not "short " IMO. I know YAC is figured in though.


Gates was our huckleberry, take away Gates and HHCD would have been able to help Shields more, look what happened to SD without Gates yesterday.

not saying HHCD had a great game, he didn't, but at least he was there to make the tackle and stop the big plays.
Image
User avatar
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net
 
Posts: 19304
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Yooperopolis

Re: Defense

Postby NCF » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

yoop wrote:
JKB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.


True as far as that goes, 20 yards is not "short " IMO. I know YAC is figured in though.


Gates was our huckleberry, take away Gates and HHCD would have been able to help Shields more, look what happened to SD without Gates yesterday.

not saying HHCD had a great game, he didn't, but at least he was there to make the tackle and stop the big plays.


It doesn't really make sense, though, as well as we fared against the other top TE's we have played.
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: Defense

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:33 pm

NCF wrote:
yoop wrote:
JKB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.


True as far as that goes, 20 yards is not "short " IMO. I know YAC is figured in though.


Gates was our huckleberry, take away Gates and HHCD would have been able to help Shields more, look what happened to SD without Gates yesterday.

not saying HHCD had a great game, he didn't, but at least he was there to make the tackle and stop the big plays.


It doesn't really make sense, though, as well as we fared against the other top TE's we have played.



Shields didn't play well, and Keenen Allen did, couple that with Hyde's inability to out muscle Gates, and you have Dix not sure who to help out, to me it looked like HHCD arrived late to support coverage, but just in time to make the tackle, when ya take one of those receivers away and SD is a very average team, substitute Burnett in for Hyde, and I'd bet Gates doesn't do nearly as well.

people need to understand if your gonna play press coverage, you better win that battle, or that receiver will be open till you catch up to him, and thats if you have the speed to do so, and Allen is just about as fast as Shields, and Shields rarely wins those los battles.

and Gates is a mis match for all but the best safety's, we probably should have jammed him with Mathews more, it's a roll of the dice, Capers opted to keep using mathews trying to force Rivers into a bad throw, it didn't work, and Gates became the game changer, it's tough to cover two receiving weapons that are beating single coverage constantly, typically you lose those games.
Image
User avatar
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net
 
Posts: 19304
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Yooperopolis

Re: Defense

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Keenan Allen is in no way as fast as Sam Shields. He is a low 4.5 guy.
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 39655
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

Re: Defense

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:Keenan Allen is in no way as fast as Sam Shields. He is a low 4.5 guy.


well then is sam shields injured? he sure had trouble staying stride for stride with Allen last week, possibly this helps with your veiwpoint that you don't have to be fast to be a great WR, just don't get jammed at the los.

I probably should have said Allen looked as fast as Shields.
Image
User avatar
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net
 
Posts: 19304
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Yooperopolis

Re: Defense

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm

yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:
yoop wrote:
JKB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
The Chargers exploited and showed a road map to beating us. Our secondary was terrible overall, Recievers running open all over the field.

Simply underneath, not all over the field, because we were allowing them to throw underneath for most of the night. We played off their receivers most of the time, which allowed them to exploit the short stuff. Anything over 20 yards they were 2 for 8 for 88 yards.


True as far as that goes, 20 yards is not "short " IMO. I know YAC is figured in though.


Gates was our huckleberry, take away Gates and HHCD would have been able to help Shields more, look what happened to SD without Gates yesterday.

not saying HHCD had a great game, he didn't, but at least he was there to make the tackle and stop the big plays.


It doesn't really make sense, though, as well as we fared against the other top TE's we have played.



Shields didn't play well, and Keenen Allen did, couple that with Hyde's inability to out muscle Gates, and you have Dix not sure who to help out, to me it looked like HHCD arrived late to support coverage, but just in time to make the tackle, when ya take one of those receivers away and SD is a very average team, substitute Burnett in for Hyde, and I'd bet Gates doesn't do nearly as well.

people need to understand if your gonna play press coverage, you better win that battle, or that receiver will be open till you catch up to him, and thats if you have the speed to do so, and Allen is just about as fast as Shields, and Shields rarely wins those los battles.

and Gates is a mis match for all but the best safety's, we probably should have jammed him with Mathews more, it's a roll of the dice, Capers opted to keep using mathews trying to force Rivers into a bad throw, it didn't work, and Gates became the game changer, it's tough to cover two receiving weapons that are beating single coverage constantly, typically you lose those games.


We weren't pressing early in the game but playin off to much. Made changes that helped later but wow there were some clean releases and open Recievers for the Chargers, I believe we got very lucky to win that game. :AOK
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
User avatar
JKB
 
Posts: 10442
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Defense

Postby APB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Oakland showed yesterday what a little disruption at the LOS could do to the SD passing offense rhythm. Rivers and company were in complete disarray for a good portion of that game and it was more than just the absence of Gates.

Speaking of Gates, he is not the TE he was a decade ago. He is now in his 13th yr and has slowed considerably. It could even be argued Ladarius Green has surpassed Gates in many respects and he was largely held in check against Oakland.

What did Oakland do that we did not? What player capabilities do they possess on defense that we do not? Something led to Oakland largely snuffing out the SD offense for the majority of the game, and I suspect it was more than just the absence of Gates.
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Defense

Postby BF004 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

So who is taking over gameday thread duties? Ready to talk some game talk.

A healthy Raji and Burnett would do wonders, if we can stop their run game fine, I think there will be a lot of punts this game.

Would be nice to have an effective run game against them, even if averaging arounde 3.5 yards a carry, setting up favorable down in distance, just don't want to see us with like 8 carries for 14 yards be halftime or something like that.

Denver plays a lot of man, wouldn't be surprised if ARod picks up multiple first downs with his legs unless they go full blown contain/spy rush.
Image
User avatar
BF004
 
Posts: 11126
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Galesville, WI

Previous

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests