It's baaack....McGinn - Color Code players

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

It's baaack....McGinn - Color Code players

Postby HeavyD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Bob McGinn asked an NFL personnel executive to assign a color code to each Packer player.

This particular executive didn't like Ty Montgomery pre-draft and still doesn't. He lists #88 as a Yellow. This is about the only ranking I would disagree with...I'd make him a Green. I also think Barclay is too high, I'd make him Yellow, not Green.

This is a handy reference piece to combat homer evaluation of our roster.

BLUE: All-Pro, top handful at their position in the league.

RED: Above-average starter with a chance to be exceptional.

PURPLE: Starter you can win with.

GREEN: Lower-tier starter, or a backup with a chance to improve.

YELLOW: Below-average backup; needs to be replaced.

WHITE: Incomplete; insufficient information to grade.

BROWN: Reject.

PACKERS BREAKDOWN

The scout used a plus sign (+) to indicate that a player was ascending within that category and a minus sign (-) to indicate that a player was descending within that category.

Here are his grades:

BLUE (3): WR Jordy Nelson, QB Aaron Rodgers (+), LB Clay Matthews.

RED (6): WR Randall Cobb (+), G Josh Sitton, G T.J. Lang (-), DE Mike Daniels, LB Julius Peppers (-), CB Sam Shields.

PURPLE (9): WR Davante Adams, T Bryan Bulaga, C Corey Linsley, RB Eddie Lacy, NT B.J. Raji, CB Damarious Randall, S Morgan Burnett, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, K Mason Crosby.

GREEN (19): WR James Jones, TE Richard Rodgers (+), T David Bakhtiari, T Don Barclay (-), RB James Starks (+), DE Letroy Guion, NT Mike Pennel (+), DE Josh Boyd, DE Christian Ringo (-), LB Nick Perry, LB Mike Neal, LB Jayrone Elliott (+), LB Sam Barrington, CB Casey Hayward (+), CB Quinten Rollins, CB-S Micah Hyde, S Sean Richardson, P Tim Masthay (+), LS Brett Goode (+).

YELLOW (15): WR Ty Montgomery (+), WR Jeff Janis, TE Andrew Quarless, G Lane Taylor, G-T Josh Walker, C JC Tretter, QB Scott Tolzien, FB John Kuhn (-), DE Datone Jones, LB Andy Mulumba, LB Nate Palmer, LB Joe Thomas, LB Carl Bradford, CB Demetri Goodson, S Chris Banjo (+).

WHITE (15): WR Ed Williams, TE Kennard Backman, TE Justin Perillo, TE Blake Annen, G Matt Rotheram, T Jeremy Vujnovich, QB Brett Hundley, RB Alonzo Harris, FB Aaron Ripkowski, RB John Crockett, LB Jake Ryan, LB Jermauria Rasco, LB James Vaughters, CB LaDarius Gunter, CB Robertson Daniel.

BROWN (1): WR Jared Abbrederis.
HeavyD

Re: It's baaack....McGinn - Color Code players

Postby packfntk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 pm

I think a healthy Eddie Lacy should be a Red.

I am not a McGinn fan though, so I am not going to rip apart every player I disagree with on here, that one just stuck out to me.

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
packfntk
Super Homer
Super Homer

Postby Waldo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Odd that Linsley isn't higher, or doesn't even have a (+). All those free plays GB gets, he's a key part of.
Waldo

Postby HeavyD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:32 pm

packfntk wrote:I think a healthy Eddie Lacy should be a Red.

I am not a McGinn fan though, so I am not going to rip apart every player I disagree with on here, that one just stuck out to me.

Bob had no input on the rankings, he is just providing insight to an NFL executive viewpoint.
HeavyD

Postby YoHoChecko » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 pm

It's interesting to me that there's a category for "not enough information" and yet Abrederis (reject), Montgomery (replaceable), and Randall (starter) are not in it still.
YoHoChecko

Postby packfntk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:34 pm

HeavyD wrote:

Bob had no input on the rankings, he is just providing insight to an NFL executive viewpoint.

Ahhhhhhh, I get it. :wink:

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
packfntk
Super Homer
Super Homer

Postby Papa John » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Tim Masthay should probably be yellow.

Davante Adams should be a green, fringe purple.

James Jones should be a purple.

Sitton a blue (?)
Papa John

Postby grace1st » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 pm

HeavyD wrote:Bob McGinn asked an NFL personnel executive to assign a color code to each Packer player.

This particular executive didn't like Ty Montgomery pre-draft and still doesn't. He lists #88 as a Yellow. This is about the only ranking I would disagree with...I'd make him a Green. I also think Barclay is too high, I'd make him Yellow, not Green.

This is a handy reference piece to combat homer evaluation of our roster.

BLUE: All-Pro, top handful at their position in the league.

RED: Above-average starter with a chance to be exceptional.

PURPLE: Starter you can win with.

GREEN: Lower-tier starter, or a backup with a chance to improve.

PACKERS BREAKDOWN

PURPLE (9): C Corey Linsley

GREEN (19): S Micah Hyde

YELLOW (15): WR Ty Montgomery

If Linsley can put together a season similar to last season, I say he absolutely needs to go up a notch.

I don't see how Hyde isn't higher. Sure is isn't spectacular in some ways, kinda like a duct tape type of player. But he's solid in so many ways.

Montgomery has made a few mistakes this season, but you'd expect some from a rookie. And he's somewhat buried on the depth chart. But the fact is that he's dangerous with a football. Bump him up a notch.
God bless America
grace1st

Postby Two.Sheds » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:38 pm

As Sammy Hager would say '...you can analyze this situation, To me it's all just mental masturbation'. Cobb is as blue as the Kentucky uniform he wore. Abbredaris - reject? I would like to see a guy play before making that assessment. Quarless, replace but ascending? etc.
Two.Sheds

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Here is the issue for the most part:
an NFL personnel executive
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby OldPackerFan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I agree. Lacy is really really good. He also under-rates Richard Rodgers. And how is punter Mashtay a green while our rookies and 2nd year players need to be replaced????
OldPackerFan

Postby lulu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Masthay a Green +??? :shock:

Also after reading the scouting reports/scouts opinions last week about Rodgers when he was being drafted makes me look at any of these player rankings with a very skeptical eye.
lulu

Postby lulu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Waldo wrote:Odd that Linsley isn't higher, or doesn't even have a (+). All those free plays GB gets, he's a key part of.

FWIW, he was near pro bowl caliber his rookie year and I think he has room to improve. He'll be a fixture in Green Bay for the next decade.
lulu

Postby lulu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:Here is the issue for the most part:
an NFL personnel executive

ironically, that is supposed to carry some weight, I guess. Might as well be Joe the plumber's evaluation.
lulu

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:40 pm

this sounds like a executive that would like to have some of these players, probably works for the Browns.

I've seen fans on the message boards, not here, say that Sitton and Lang will need to be replaced ina year or two, now these low grades, what seems obvious is that these people have no idea how to grade Guards, both those players will get 3rd contracts right here if the price is right.

Grades are subjective to the viewer doing the grading, no two viewers are alike, but this seems like a tough grader.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Next

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum