It's baaack....McGinn - Color Code players

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: It's baaack....McGinn - Color Code players

Postby Beagle » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:37 pm

lulu wrote:
Waldo wrote:Odd that Linsley isn't higher, or doesn't even have a (+). All those free plays GB gets, he's a key part of.

FWIW, he was near pro bowl caliber his rookie year and I think he has room to improve. He'll be a fixture in Green Bay for the next decade.

Agree.

This is an interesting exercise to see how others rank our players. I can't imagine that if a guy like Cobb hit the market and he had to make an evaluation to his GM, that he would not have Cobb as a Blue Chip. My list would barely resemble this NFL executives. I would have James Jones higher for sure. Low tier? The guy has serious football skills and demonstrates it year in and year out.

PFF does one as well and they update it throughout the year, I believe. Here is the one for Green Bay:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... y-packers/

They go into a little more depth and there are certain players I disagree with on there as well.

Good post though and worth the read!
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 pm

I agree with majority of these
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
JKB

Postby OldPackerFan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:45 pm

JKB wrote:I agree with majority of these

I also agree with most of them. However I would move several of the Yellows who are rookies or 2nd year players into incomplete.

BLUE (3): WR Jordy Nelson, QB Aaron Rodgers (+), LB Clay Matthews.

RED (6): WR Randall Cobb, G Josh Sitton, G T.J. Lang, DE Mike Daniels, LB Julius Peppers, CB Sam Shields.

PURPLE : WR Davante Adams, T Bryan Bulaga, C Corey Linsley, RB Eddie Lacy, NT B.J. Raji, CB Damarious Randall, S Morgan Burnett, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, K Mason Crosby.

GREEN: WR James Jones, TE Richard Rodgers, T David Bakhtiari, RB James Starks, DE Letroy Guion, NT Mike Pennel, DE Josh Boyd, LB Nick Perry, LB Mike Neal, LB Jayrone Elliott, LB Sam Barrington, CB Casey Hayward, CB-S Micah Hyde, LS Brett Goode, DE Datone Jones, QB Scott Tolzien, LB Nate Palmer,

YELLOW :TE Andrew Quarless, G Lane Taylor, C JC Tretter, FB John Kuhn, LB Andy Mulumba, S Chris Banjo, TE Justin Perillo, T Don Barclay, S Sean Richardson,

WHITE: WR Ed Williams, TE Kennard Backman, TE Blake Annen, G Matt Rotheram, T Jeremy Vujnovich, QB Brett Hundley, RB Alonzo Harris, FB Aaron Ripkowski, RB John Crockett, LB Jake Ryan, LB Jermauria Rasco, LB James Vaughters, CB LaDarius Gunter, CB Robertson Daniel, DE Christian Ringo, WR Jared Abbrederis, LB Carl Bradford, WR Ty Montgomery, WR Jeff Janis. LB Joe Thomas, CB Demetri Goodson, G-T Josh Walker, CB Quinten Rollins

BROWN (1): P Tim Masthay

For those who think Cobb is Blue:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -receivers
Honorable mention only. Of course this is only 1 man's opinion and there is good reason to think he should be in the 5-10 range. It is tough to be productive when consistently doubled and your best WR teammate is a 2nd year man with a bad ankle.
OldPackerFan

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:26 pm

BLUE (4): WR Jordy Nelson, QB Aaron Rodgers (+), LB Clay Matthews, G Josh Sitton.

RED (6): WR Randall Cobb (+), G T.J. Lang, DE Mike Daniels(+), LB Julius Peppers (-), CB Sam Shields, C Corey Linsley(+).

PURPLE (15): WR Davante Adams, T Bryan Bulaga(+), RB Eddie Lacy(+), NT B.J. Raji(+), CB Damarious Randall, S Morgan Burnett, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix(+), K Mason Crosby, WR James Jones, RB James Starks, LB Nick Perry(+), LB Jayrone Elliott (+), LB Mike Neal, CB Casey Hayward, DE Datone Jones(+).

GREEN (12):TE Richard Rodgers, T Don Barclay, T David Bakhtiari, DE Letroy Guion, NT Mike Pennel(+), DE Josh Boyd, LB Sam Barrington, CB Quinten Rollins(+), CB-S Micah Hyde, S Sean Richardson, LS Brett Goode, FB John Kuhn.

YELLOW (12):WR Jeff Janis(+), P Tim Masthay, TE Andrew Quarless, G Lane Taylor, G-T Josh Walker, C JC Tretter, QB Scott Tolzien, LB Andy Mulumba, LB Nate Palmer, LB Joe Thomas, CB Demetri Goodson, S Chris Banjo.

WHITE (10): WR Ty Montgomery (+), TE Kennard Backman, TE Justin Perillo, QB Brett Hundley, RB Alonzo Harris, FB Aaron Ripkowski, LB Jake Ryan, CB LaDarius Gunter, CB Robertson Daniel, WR Jared Abbrederis.

BROWN (0):

My attempt
Last edited by Pckfn23 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby flapackfan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Datone Jones should be replaced?? Just walk out to the DE tree and pick a new one?? He is contributing weekly. It is in a rotational role, but still contributing.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Morgan Burnett is a red player, led safety's in tackles last year, and has been in the top 5 in tackles for safety's years prior, a very good arguement could be made for HHCD as well, he leads safety's in tackles this year, and had about 90 tackles last year.

same with Lacy, top 10 RB 3 years running, thats a red player.

Mason Crosby is also a red player, I wont bother with stats as he obviously is a red.

Shields gets this red rating how? contract? he has not played up to it, in fact has regressed since getting it, Hayward had a higher rating then Shields last year, Shields is no better then a cusp red player.

Mashtey is a purple, he does just about everything the coaches ask him to do, and is certainly a average punter.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby salmar80 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:36 pm

flapackfan wrote:Datone Jones should be replaced?? Just walk out to the DE tree and pick a new one?? He is contributing weekly. It is in a rotational role, but still contributing.

I'm not gonna rip McGinn for reporting the views of his source - that's a journo's job, and marvel at how he can get his sources to do looong interviews and codings that take time. But the personnel man in question does have some weird views. Then again personnel men ARE only men, and evaluators' opinions can differ a ton, which is highlighted each year at draft time.

Datone has been exceptional in bringing the heat this season. One of the best pressures/snap -ratios of all 3-4 DEs. He's just not cut out for the running downs. I'd say green (+).
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
salmar80

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:46 pm

I guess that is the rub, the color coding is too subjective to mean much, especially to say a team must have so many blues and reds to be considered in the running to win a Super Bowl.

Tackle stats to prove a safety is good. :lol:
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby NCF » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:I guess that is the rub, the color coding is too subjective to mean much, especially to say a team must have so many blues and reds to be considered in the running to win a Super Bowl.

Tackle stats to prove a safety is good. :lol:

Tackle stats are a piece of the pie... although, IMO it says more about Burnett than HHCD, but as you pointed out its only one small piece of the pie. A lot of scouts will say safety play is the hardest thing to grade, so this is going to be very subjective no matter what.

I'd say we are better off than we were a few years ago, but overall HHCD and Burnett make a very average to slightly above average safety tandem.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Very much agreed that it is a piece of the puzzle, especially for a strong safety. Very much agreed that we are better off compared to 2 years ago. Very much agreed that they tandem we, at this moment, is barely above average.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby yoop » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:57 pm

agree, tackle stats are a smaller piece of the pie when it comes to grading a safety, and our group are not in the top 10 of safety duo's, both play the run well, but come up short in coverage, and speed according to what I could find, I thought the two where coming on strong though towards the end of last year, I was looking forward to a bigger jump this year, then Burnett limped off. I still think both are better then these grades though.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Previous

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum