RicRod - second year jump?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

RicRod - second year jump?

Postby HeavyD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:01 am

We all know that TT and McCarthy are draft and develop. McCarthy talks about the jump players make between year one and two. It is amazing how players improve. But one guy who seems to not be making the jump given a golden opportunity is #82.

I believe he is getting 90+ snaps per game, but only has 155 years for the season, which I think is pretty brutal given the WR and TE injury situation. Check out this scathing analysis by McGinn.

Part of the reason the Packers aren't able to stretch defenses is their tight end. Richard Rodgers (58 of 62 snaps, including 16 in a three-point stance) led the team in receptions (six) and targets (eight) largely because the Rams paid him little heed. If the Packers want him with the ball in the flats or on check-downs, the Rams weren't concerned. Rodgers never breaks a tackle. He's 270 pounds, but little bitty defensive backs just chop him down with no problem. When he ran a slant from out wide on third and 3, SS T.J. McDonald stopped him from reaching the marker. On a 10-yard screen pass, Rodgers couldn't get CB Janoris Jenkins blocked and the gain was wiped out on his illegal-block penalty. Rodgers' exceptional hands failed him on a dropped 30-yard TD pass. His blocking was uneven, too. Rodgers had to play too much (94%) because rookie Kennard Backman (three) must not be ready.

It would be helpful to know how many first down receptions he has,....anybody got those numbers for the year?

Disappointing, but he still has time to make it click, I sure hope he does, the Pack needs him.

McGinn haters...try to stay on topic.
HeavyD

Re: RicRod - second year jump?

Postby Pckfn23 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:26 am

He did not have a good game, but evaluating his year just on this one game is far too harsh. He has been much better at blocking this year. If he can continue to improve there and be sneaky good in the pass game, that is all we need. We don't need a Jimmy Graham.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Papa John » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:33 am

Hard for me to be frustrated with him because I'm not really sure what I expected out of him in the first place. As I recall, his draft scouting report indicated a guy with subpar speed and below average blocking ability. I remember many fans not being happy with the pick. His numbers in college were underwhelming. Maybe there were some positive attributes that I'm forgetting, but the point is that he was not a very exciting prospect to begin with.

His ceiling is average NFL starter.
Papa John

Postby mission » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:43 am

He's a better blocker than most give him credit for, but my-oh-my is he slow. Just a plodder and I swear my five year old could tackle him. I'd at least like to see a stiff arm or something for an extra yard.
mission

Postby HeavyD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 am

Pckfn23 wrote:He did not have a good game, but evaluating his year just on this one game is far too harsh. He has been much better at blocking this year. If he can continue to improve there and be sneaky good in the pass game, that is all we need. We don't need a Jimmy Graham.

I'd like to know how many times he moved the chains, that seems primary to his total yards. McGinn's comments indicate that the Rams didn't think he was a threat. That is concerning.
HeavyD

Postby Pckfn23 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 am

In 19 receptions he has 7 first downs, 2 touchdowns, and a 2 point conversion.
Compared to other TEs:
3 have more TDs.
10 have more receptions.
11 have more targets.
17 have more yards.
44 have more yards per reception.
11 have more YAC.
31 have more YAC per reception.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby wallyuwl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:54 am

Pckfn23 wrote:In 19 receptions he has 7 first downs, 2 touchdowns, and a 2 point conversion.
Compared to other TEs:
3 have more TDs.
10 have more receptions.
11 have more targets.
17 have more yards.
11 have more YAC.

Good stats. Those tell me he is a safety blanket and red zone target, but not a threat. I think that is pretty much all we expected or need him to be as a receiver.
wallyuwl

Postby Pckfn23 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:09 am

wallyuwl wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:In 19 receptions he has 7 first downs, 2 touchdowns, and a 2 point conversion.
Compared to other TEs:
3 have more TDs.
10 have more receptions.
11 have more targets.
17 have more yards.
11 have more YAC.

Good stats. Those tell me he is a safety blanket and red zone target, but not a threat. I think that is pretty much all we expected or need him to be as a receiver.

Agreed. If he can lock down is blocking, I will take him years to come.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:47 am

Guy is a good dirty and I love it. Find a scrum, or someone getting ejected, or getting decleated somewhat away from the play and you'll find Dick Rod as the instigator nearly every time. Guy plays hard to the whistle, love his attitude, but yeah, he'll never be Antonio Gates or Gronk, but a great guy to have around, will still have a huge role even if we fall into the next Finley or Jimmy Graham.
BF004

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:02 am

I LOVE having him on the team. Granted he's not a big play threat or a game changer but he's a great player to have - reliable (minus that terrible drop that could have been a TD). Yes his lack of YAC is frustrating, but if he is reliable then he has value.
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby Bogey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 am

Pckfn23 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
Compared to other TEs:
3 have more TDs.
10 have more receptions.
11 have more targets.
17 have more yards.
11 have more YAC.

Agreed. If he can lock down is blocking, I will take him years to come.

:AOK
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Postby Bogey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:07 am

BF004 wrote:Guy is a good dirty and I love it. Find a scrum, or someone getting ejected, or getting decleated somewhat away from the play and you'll find Dick Rod as the instigator nearly every time. Guy plays hard to the whistle, love his attitude, but yeah, he'll never be Antonio Gates or Gronk, but a great guy to have around, will still have a huge role even if we fall into the next Finley or Jimmy Graham.

:AOK
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Postby ESKYMOPACK » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:12 pm

I remember Finley having the same issues early on in his career. He would go down too easy. Finley's last year, that injury year, man, that guy was really trying to prove everyone wrong and become that complete TE, by running over people. Rodgers has a ceiling, and I think you'll see Backman become our "down the middle" guy and RichRod being our blocker.
In Memory of JustJeff
ESKYMOPACK

Postby NCF » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:17 pm

I don't think people would notice as much if we were more dynamic at WR right now. The injuries to Nelson and Adams have put everyone in a spotlight. Even still, Rodgers is doing what he is supposed to be doing.

I'm not one who will say I don't want a dynamic TE or our offense is better without it, but they are obviously not easy to find.

For what we have and the way we use him he is essentially supposed to be an extension of the OL that is a reliable target when he releases down field. He had the drop last week, but otherwise that is pretty much him.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby OldPackerFan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

NCF wrote:I don't think people would notice as much if we were more dynamic at WR right now. The injuries to Nelson and Adams have put everyone in a spotlight. Even still, Rodgers is doing what he is supposed to be doing.

I'm not one who will say I don't want a dynamic TE or our offense is better without it, but they are obviously not easy to find.

For what we have and the way we use him he is essentially supposed to be an extension of the OL that is a reliable target when he releases down field. He had the drop last week, but otherwise that is pretty much him.

+1.
OldPackerFan

Next

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum