At The Break

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: At The Break

Postby ESKYMOPACK » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:18 pm

It's hard for us to gauge what's really going on unless we can see the whole play develop. I just don't see the separation of WR's, so YES it's making AR hold the ball longer. What he did to slide around the pass rush in earlier games this year, and roll out of the pocket has developed a strategy to make a small triangle around AR, and pinch him tight in the pocket. Teams are forcing AR to dump the ball down and their LBers are ready for it.

What's made AR look really, really good in the past is having Nelson's ability to stretch the field, and take on a safety's help for at least 3 seconds, just enough time for AR to scan the field and find an open WR. Cobb has been relegated to running quick routes that they can double him with a LBer, and that leaves Jones, Adams, and Montgomery one on one with DB's. If those guys can't get open quick enough, like what has happened in the past, and AR doesn't get a second look down the field when he can't break the pass rush, all hell breaks loose.

We lead the league in passing when Rodgers could improvise outside the pocket. After the first couple games, it's been harder for him to break that pocket.
In Memory of JustJeff
ESKYMOPACK

Postby OldPackerFan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:12 pm

At the break:

Rollins and Randall are both good additions to the team and should play more after the break

The Packers need to give Matthews more breathers. He was soaked at the end of the game and like a car running on vapor rather than gasoline. Ryan being hurt does not help.

Hopefully Burnett is back after the bye. He has been missed, Raji also but less so.

Bak is a problem on offense. He has not improved this season and if anything, has regressed. The rest of the Oline is fine now that Bulaga is back.

Lacy is not himself. He needs to get healthy but there may be more than an ankle problem. As the season gets colder his asthma has been a problem in prior years so maybe it is time to get Harris and/or Rip more into the games.

Adams has been missed. Monty looked badly hurt, no weight at all on that leg as he left the field. I will be shocked if he is back in 4 weeks and I hope they don't bring him back too soon as they did to Adams.

TE is still a problem and it will be a while before AQ returns. Pretty sad that we miss AQ.

Something needs to be done to get the pressure off AR. He is taking too many hits.

6-0 is hard to argue with. Homefield advantage in the playoffs will be big and is probable.
OldPackerFan

Postby grace1st » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:31 pm

OldPackerFan wrote:Something needs to be done to get the pressure off AR. He is taking too many hits.

6-0 is hard to argue with. Homefield advantage in the playoffs will be big and is probable.

I do believe Aaron has more pressure in his face the past couple of weeks. I'm not actually concerned with the outside rushers too much. But Aaron is a different kind of QB. Where most QBs want space in front of them so they can step up and deliver a clean pass, Aaron seems to like it more so that he can wiggle around and see his receivers better.

I think SD had some ballast in their interior DLine, but we still let Aaron get too crowded.
God bless America
grace1st

Postby Half Empty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:44 pm

OldPackerFan wrote:At the break:

Rollins and Randall are both good additions to the team and should play more after the break

The Packers need to give Matthews more breathers. He was soaked at the end of the game and like a car running on vapor rather than gasoline. Ryan being hurt does not help.

Hopefully Burnett is back after the bye. He has been missed, Raji also but less so.

Bak is a problem on offense. He has not improved this season and if anything, has regressed. The rest of the Oline is fine now that Bulaga is back.

Lacy is not himself. He needs to get healthy but there may be more than an ankle problem. As the season gets colder his asthma has been a problem in prior years so maybe it is time to get Harris and/or Rip more into the games.

Adams has been missed. Monty looked badly hurt, no weight at all on that leg as he left the field. I will be shocked if he is back in 4 weeks and I hope they don't bring him back too soon as they did to Adams.

TE is still a problem and it will be a while before AQ returns. Pretty sad that we miss AQ.

Something needs to be done to get the pressure off AR. He is taking too many hits.

Not so much for the Packers since, and including, their last Super Bowl.
Half Empty

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm

The Packers are on a 13 game home winning streak. The longest active streak in the NFL.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby lulu » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:09 pm

6-0, mighty fine.

Definitely need Adams and/or Montgomery back to bolster our receiving options. I'm confident enough in Montgomery that he brings enough to help across the board.

Very impressed with our rookies. Getting much more quality production out of this rookie class than previous rookie classes. Assuming they continue to develop we are in a very good position over the next 3-4 years.

The giant woke up - good to see Raji bringing it and hope he's ready to go against Denver.

What I just can't get my head around is the significant inconsistency with both offense and defense. Moments of brilliance and moments of brain farts. "We'll get that cleaned up"...

Shields regressed a bit yesterday but still having a fantastic season so far. Secondary has started out much better than I expected and they should continue to get better.

I don't have to cover my eyes or change the channel every time our ST takes the field. Impressed with the progress so far. Good to see that they trusted Abby in there yesterday to at least field the ball.

I get the sense teams are starting to figure us out on offense so it's time to shuffle the playbook. Not sure how, just need to do something different.

I'm not as concerned as others regarding our TE play. It seems to me that Rodgers is becoming a more rounded TE (better blocking). We sort of all knew that he was never going to be a stud receiver so lets keep expectations in check.

Lacy. WTH? If he's that banged up then put him on the shelf and bring in Alonzo until Lacy can roll.
lulu

Postby Half Empty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:The Packers are on a 13 game home winning streak. The longest active streak in the NFL.

Will be great if they can keep that going when "lose and got home" starts.
Half Empty

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 am

The best thing about this team is that issues in any one single game are not the same from week to week. There is not one glaring deficiency of this team. There is no pattern of "failure" for this team. Every issue we have had so far has been fine before or already fixed. Dare I say, any issue we have is easily fixable.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29 am

Pckfn23 wrote:The best thing about this team is that issues in any one single game are not the same from week to week. There is not one glaring deficiency of this team. There is no pattern of "failure" for this team. Every issue we have had so far has been fine before or already fixed. Dare I say, any issue we have is easily fixable.

In a different thread I called this team complete. I think you're saying the same thing.

Not like 2011 when despite the record we all knew the DEF had serious problems.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby Cdragon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 am

grace1st wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:Something needs to be done to get the pressure off AR. He is taking too many hits.

I do believe Aaron has more pressure in his face the past couple of weeks. I'm not actually concerned with the outside rushers too much. But Aaron is a different kind of QB. Where most QBs want space in front of them so they can step up and deliver a clean pass, Aaron seems to like it more so that he can wiggle around and see his receivers better.

I think SD had some ballast in their interior DLine, but we still let Aaron get too crowded.

It might have been those uniforms but I think Sitton looked a lot fatter yesterday. If it is extra weight it isn't helping him move.
Cdragon

Postby OldPackerFan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:10 am

Cdragon wrote:
grace1st wrote:

It might have been those uniforms but I think Sitton looked a lot fatter yesterday. If it is extra weight it isn't helping him move.

He has always been heavy. It does not seem to hurt him too badly. He is agile for such a big man. It might shorten his career though.
OldPackerFan

Postby Pugger » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:30 pm

OldPackerFan wrote:At the break:

IMO the reason why Bak hasn't looked good is because he isn't 100% since he got hurt in preseason. I can't remember what happened to him in TC and I can't seem to find any info about it online this morning but it isn't something that will keep him from playing..
Pugger

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Will be very interesting to see how we do after 8 games, with Sunday night @ 6-0 Denver, short week then @ currently 5-0 Carolina.
BF004

Postby grace1st » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:12 pm

BF004 wrote:Will be very interesting to see how we do after 8 games, with Sunday night @ 6-0 Denver, short week then @ currently 5-0 Carolina.

That is quite a road trip, right? I'd be happy to win one of those, but two is definitely doable. Both teams are stronger on D than O. If we can protect Aaron, as we've seen, we should do just fine. But I would like our running game to take the next step.

Must also say that Denver has survived because their D is forcing turnovers that lead directly to points. If we keep the ball safe, we'll do just fine there.
God bless America
grace1st

Postby Pugger » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:15 pm

ESKYMOPACK wrote:It's hard for us to gauge what's really going on unless we can see the whole play develop. I just don't see the separation of WR's, so YES it's making AR hold the ball longer. What he did to slide around the pass rush in earlier games this year, and roll out of the pocket has developed a strategy to make a small triangle around AR, and pinch him tight in the pocket. Teams are forcing AR to dump the ball down and their LBers are ready for it.

What's made AR look really, really good in the past is having Nelson's ability to stretch the field, and take on a safety's help for at least 3 seconds, just enough time for AR to scan the field and find an open WR. Cobb has been relegated to running quick routes that they can double him with a LBer, and that leaves Jones, Adams, and Montgomery one on one with DB's. If those guys can't get open quick enough, like what has happened in the past, and AR doesn't get a second look down the field when he can't break the pass rush, all hell breaks loose.

We lead the league in passing when Rodgers could improvise outside the pocket. After the first couple games, it's been harder for him to break that pocket.

I suspect defenses are doing a better job at keeping him bottled up so he can't escape.
Pugger

PreviousNext

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum