McCarthy's Monday Presser

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: McCarthy's Monday Presser

Postby Bogey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:And yet this group has 2 WRs in the top 5 of TD receptions.

And yet this WR group has accounted for 12 TD receptions, the next highest group in the league is Arizona and Jacksonville with 10.

+1
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Postby yoop » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:04 am

OldPackerFan wrote:
yoop wrote:If ya run a short version of a wc attack as NE does then speed isn't as important, if you run more vertical passing then speed helps more, we could sure use a leap from Janis after the bye.

Yes getting a leap from Janis would help. But getting last year's Eddie Lacy back would help too. Starks breaks the big runs but then gets stuffed for no gain on first down too often.

I agree, hopefully Lacy is healthy, but it's not as though teams don't man up to stop our run game, it's not as though this line is blowing people out, we see 7 and 8 in the box often, and very few open cut back lanes, teams respect our run game more then they do the pass, thats why where in 3rd and long so often, and we have no short passing game, well at least not good enough to consistantly move the chains.

But I feel as though we've played very vanilla, we tried Monty at TB and he blew a tire on the first attempt, I expect we'll see more of that, we've only thrown to a RB a few times, I get that Aaron has thrown to a bunch of diff. targets, and we lead the league in TD's, I guess what I'am looking for is the consistant marching down the field wearing out the opposing defense instead of ours, I love those time consuming drives, knocking off 6 yards a crack.

I suppose I'am old school a little, and I get the less plays the less chance of mistakes thingie, but I always liked the WCO, I like what Belechick does with stacked sets, and mis direction plays, and the unbalanced attack, it narrows the playing field, draws coverage, drags the lbers over, pulls down a safety, now you go out the backside with a speedster like Janis with one on one coverage, or a backside run.

maybe we'll do some of that after the bye, I know I'd like to see it.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby YoHoChecko » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:12 am

Honestly, the thing keeping us from more of those long drives isn't anything most people are talking about. Plain and simply, it's poor execution on 3rd and short. The numbers are clear there, and the visual tells me it's not inability or necessarily bad calls (though we all know about the longer passes on those downs, ugh, but even those often get open). It's just execution, miscues, little things. They'll fix.
YoHoChecko

Postby yoop » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 am

YoHoChecko wrote:Honestly, the thing keeping us from more of those long drives isn't anything most people are talking about. Plain and simply, it's poor execution on 3rd and short. The numbers are clear there, and the visual tells me it's not inability or necessarily bad calls (though we all know about the longer passes on those downs, ugh, but even those often get open). It's just execution, miscues, little things. They'll fix.

they better or I'am Emailing McCarthy to ask Capers for some advise on the matter :lol:

you know I'am not a numbers guy, so thanks for clarification, it just seems to me we are in 3rd and more then 5 often, and I've seen us in 3rd and short and that stubborn HOF bound QB continues to look 20 yards down field, I'am not sure who to email about that :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Pckfn23 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:38 am

Green Bay ranks No. 2 in the NFL with 17 pass plays of 25-plus yards behind only the Cincinnati Bengals' 19 such plays.

The statistic that might be most surprising, however, is James Jones being tied for No. 1 in the NFL with seven receptions of 25-plus yards.

So much for that.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby wallyuwl » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Green Bay ranks No. 2 in the NFL with 17 pass plays of 25-plus yards behind only the Cincinnati Bengals' 19 such plays.

The statistic that might be most surprising, however, is James Jones being tied for No. 1 in the NFL with seven receptions of 25-plus yards.

How many such plays does Myles White have?
wallyuwl

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:19 am

He got a special teams fumble!!! That's close right?
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Stevedore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:38 am

Pckfn23 wrote:New England, a consensus top 3 offense in the league doesn't have these speed receivers that some think is necessary to run an NFL passing attack. We have heard gripe after gripe since Jordy went down that we would be hurting as an offense because we couldn't take the top off the defense. The problem with that assumption is that Jordy wasn't a speedster int he first place. Jordy Nelson ran a 4.51 and we just fine with Jordy, Randall, and Davante last season. As New England and the 2014 Green Bay Packers shows, blazing speed is not necessary to make an NFL passing attack function.
How do you explain then that Nelson and his pedestrian 40 time has the NFL record for most TD's in a season of over 40+ yards? He's always been tops in the league for deep bomb TD's, dude is fast and gets behind corners and safeties regularly. Sometimes 40 times don't tell the whole story, didn't Jerry Rice have an average 40 time?
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:44 pm

That was the whole point Stevedore...
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Stevedore wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:New England, a consensus top 3 offense in the league doesn't have these speed receivers that some think is necessary to run an NFL passing attack. We have heard gripe after gripe since Jordy went down that we would be hurting as an offense because we couldn't take the top off the defense. The problem with that assumption is that Jordy wasn't a speedster int he first place. Jordy Nelson ran a 4.51 and we just fine with Jordy, Randall, and Davante last season. As New England and the 2014 Green Bay Packers shows, blazing speed is not necessary to make an NFL passing attack function.
How do you explain then that Nelson and his pedestrian 40 time has the NFL record for most TD's in a season of over 40+ yards? He's always been tops in the league for deep bomb TD's, dude is fast and gets behind corners and safeties regularly. Sometimes 40 times don't tell the whole story, didn't Jerry Rice have an average 40 time?

Good question Steve, ya rarely ever see a CB try and press Jordy, or Jam him at the los, thats a lose lose right from the start, he'll toss you aside and win the leverage battle in the route progression right off the hop, and providing you have another WR that demands safety support (Cobb) it's game over and Jordy is racing towards the EZ.
Jordy is long and strong, runs perfect routes, and has enough speed to run with most any safety.

playing press corner against a team with two outstanding receiving weapons is a big gamble, because if you lose that battle and don't have elite speed the WR has the advantage, and now theres a good chance you don't have safety help either, as was the case with Shields against Keenan Allen a couple times, Shields is plenty fast, but so is Allen, getting beat at the los, or out of the break made it impossible for him to catch up, and Allen wins that battle, it's why Capers prefers off man coverage. imho anyway.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Keenan Allen doesn't have elite speed. He is a low 4.5 guy.

The entire point is that elite speed is not required to be a deep threat at WR.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby JKB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 pm

yoop wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:
yoop wrote:If ya run a short version of a wc attack as NE does then speed isn't as important, if you run more vertical passing then speed helps more, we could sure use a leap from Janis after the bye.

Yes getting a leap from Janis would help. But getting last year's Eddie Lacy back would help too. Starks breaks the big runs but then gets stuffed for no gain on first down too often.

I agree, hopefully Lacy is healthy, but it's not as though teams don't man up to stop our run game, it's not as though this line is blowing people out, we see 7 and 8 in the box often, and very few open cut back lanes, teams respect our run game more then they do the pass, thats why where in 3rd and long so often, and we have no short passing game, well at least not good enough to consistantly move the chains.

But I feel as though we've played very vanilla, we tried Monty at TB and he blew a tire on the first attempt, I expect we'll see more of that, we've only thrown to a RB a few times, I get that Aaron has thrown to a bunch of diff. targets, and we lead the league in TD's, I guess what I'am looking for is the consistant marching down the field wearing out the opposing defense instead of ours, I love those time consuming drives, knocking off 6 yards a crack.

I suppose I'am old school a little, and I get the less plays the less chance of mistakes thingie, but I always liked the WCO, I like what Belechick does with stacked sets, and mis direction plays, and the unbalanced attack, it narrows the playing field, draws coverage, drags the lbers over, pulls down a safety, now you go out the backside with a speedster like Janis with one on one coverage, or a backside run.

maybe we'll do some of that after the bye, I know I'd like to see it.

IMO It is the 3rd and shorts (3yards or less) fail to convert that is killing the offense. Gotta move the chains! AR throwing long on 3rd and short :kaboom:
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
JKB

Postby Pugger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:17 pm

This isn't the first season where AR often throws it long on 3rd and short. :? As fabulous as Rodgers is sometimes he should just take what the defense gives you instead of always trying for a big play.
Pugger

Postby NCF » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm

JKB wrote:throwing long on 3rd and short :kaboom:

x2

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Right now we are 26th in 3rd and 3 or less situations and converting them. We are 5 out of 6 when running it and 4 out of 13 when passing it.

We are 14th in converting 3rd and 4+ situations.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

PreviousNext

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum