McCarthy's Monday Presser

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: McCarthy's Monday Presser

Postby Papa John » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:55 pm

yoop wrote:If ya run a short version of a wc attack as NE does then speed isn't as important, if you run more vertical passing then speed helps more, we could sure use a leap from Janis after the bye.

Then why do the Packers keep trying to force big play offense? Maybe we see more short west coast after the bye.
Papa John

Postby Stevedore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:That was the whole point Stevedore...
We're disagreeing on Nelson's speed and it's impact on the offense. You don't think he ever was a burner in the first place and therefore his absence this year isn't that big of a deal for lack of a better word. I think he always was a burner and it's still too early this year to truly see the impact of his absence; a lot of football still to be played 23.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby Jim T » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm

NCF wrote:
JKB wrote:throwing long on 3rd and short :kaboom:

x2

Nobody complains when the long pass on 3rd down works, do they?

Rodgers is great because of how he does what he does. When coaches start nit-picking and try to eliminate all the bad things that happen Rodgers starts become a good QB vs. great.
You think these are tough times? For your sake, I hope you never see tough times.
Jim T

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 pm

By timed speed, Nelson was never a burner. That is not debatable and was the whole point of the oppising argument that we will lose any deep threat because we lost Nelson's timed speed (and we needed Janis to step up because he has that timed speed). Partially the reason we some hate James Jones so much (timed speed).

Other injuries, in my opinion, have very much exacerbated the effect of having Nelson injured, much more than Nelson himself being out (and adding Jones).
Last edited by Pckfn23 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Half Empty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Jim T wrote:
NCF wrote:
JKB wrote:throwing long on 3rd and short :kaboom:

x2

Nobody complains when the long pass on 3rd down works, do they?

Rodgers is great because of how he does what he does. When coaches start nit-picking and try to eliminate all the bad things that happen Rodgers starts become a good QB vs. great.

3rd and short, Starr to Dowler/Dale worked because they didn't do it all the time.
Half Empty

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

So far the longest gain on 3rd and 3 or less has been a 19 pass to Kuhn on 3rd and 3. The next longest was a 3rd and 3, 13 yard TD to James Jones.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Jim T » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:By speed, Nelson was never a burner. That is not debatable and was the whole point.

Other injuries, in my opinion, have very much exacerbated having Nelson injured, much more than Nelson himself being out (and adding Jones).

The speed thing is all relative, IMO. 40 time is a fairly good indicator but is only one aspect of speed.

40 times don't always equal football speed. To me the eye test is a better indicate on speed, most notably football speed.

We all know there are guys that time relatively slow yet they don't seem to have much of a problem running away from defenders.

Doesn't always matter how fast you can run. What matters is the ability to run faster then the guy who is trying to catch you.
You think these are tough times? For your sake, I hope you never see tough times.
Jim T

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Football speed, simply incorporates other aspects of the game, in conjunction with straight line speed, that gives us an indicator of how fast a football player is, on the field. This is exactly why straight line speed is not the end-all-be-all of a deep receiving threat. As the perfect example, Jordy Nelson.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby yoop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:Right now we are 26th in 3rd and 3 or less situations and converting them. We are 5 out of 6 when running it and 4 out of 13 when passing it.

We are 14th in converting 3rd and 4+ situations.

about what I expected, we do need a better short passing game.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Stevedore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:41 am

I think more then anything it's Jordy's route running ability that's been missed dearly, just the ability to sell a particular route; make the safety bite or move. I don't know if Janis will ever get that part of the game down, but I think Adams can. A couple of weeks ago I read something where Rodgers' YPA was down a little, Nelson's absence or Adams being out for an extended time, maybe both? I want to see what this offense can really do once Adams and even Montgomery come back to full strength.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby Pugger » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 am

Jordy is also a master at catching the back shoulder fade and his body control is second to none. I too hope Adams can fill in this void the rest of the way.
Pugger

Previous

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum