Packers 2016 Offseason at a Glance

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Postby BF004 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Pretty much threw this together so I could start making mock drafts, but thought it would spark good conversation.

2015 Salary Dollars: $140,102,107
2015 Salary Cap: $143,280,000
Packer's 2015 Salary Cap (including carryover): $150,844,514

Potential 2016 Cap Carryover Increase: $10,742,407

2016 Salary Obligations: $123,573,481

2016 Estimated Salary Cap: Estimates seen from $150M - $155M
2016 Estimated Potential Packers Cap (including Carryover): $163.2M (Average of 160.7 and 165.7)

Estimate Cap Space for 2016 Spending: $39,626,519

2016 Free Agents
QB - Scott Tolzien
RB - James Starks
FB - John Kuhn
WR - James Jones
TE - Andrew Quarless
TE - Justin Perillo (ERFA)
RT - Don Barclay
G - Lane Taylor (RFA)

NT - BJ Raji
NT - Letroy Guion
DE - Mike Daniels
OLB - Andy Mulumba (RFA)
OLB - Mike Neal
OLB - Nick Perry
CB - Casey Hayward
S - Chris Banjo (ERFA)
S - Sean Richardson

LS - Brett Goode
K - Mason Crosby

Possible Cap Casualties

OLB Julius Peppers (Cap Number - 10.5M, Dead money - 2.5M, Cap Savings 8.0M)
Last edited by BF004 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BF004

Re: Packers 2016 Offseason at a Glance

Postby packfntk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:42 pm

There are a lot of players on that list that I really want to re-sign. I really am anxious to see what happens with James Jones. Do we re-sign him to a contract? Is it a team friendly deal? Does he go for more money? Does he hold back the development of DeVante and Monty when Jordy comes back? ARod is comfortable with him, how will that play in?

Tozien is another that intrigues me. Hundley has looked the part of a backup but is still raw. What does Tolzien command?

I think this is Kuhn's last year in GB. But I said that two years ago...

I want to re-sign Raji RIGHT NOW.

Daniels... He gets PAID this offseason. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Even though often injured, I want to retain Perry.

Neal, Hayward, sign them again.

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
packfntk
Super Homer
Super Homer

Postby backthepack4ever » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Raji and Daniels are the only must have back IMO. The d line is playing great, why mess with that after trying to get it right for so long?

I think peppers will retire after he gets his ring this year. It would be nice to get either Perry or Neal back. Can never have to many pass rushers and I love that we can sun in and out and not lose much.

We will be fine without the rest of the FA. Of course it would be nice to keep our own but we got some young guys and a draft to fill back up rolls.

I'd like to extend either Lang or Sitton BF I don't see us keeping both in 17
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby NCF » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:20 pm

The offense, meh, re-sign who you can if you want. No one overly concerning there. Next offseason is where its dire for the offense with Lacy and 3/5 of the OL up for new deals.

On defense, the entire DL and a lot of LB depth is up. I'd say Raji should be a priority. I still don't know what to think about Daniels. Is Datone Jones making him expendable? I'd love to have him back, but not at a top salary amongst his peers.

Perry or Neal. Bring one back.

Let Hayward walk. Randall, Shields, and Rollins are the future there.

Peppers is interesting, too. I think if he keeps playing the way he is, he'll be back to finish out his contract and likely career in 2016.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby salmar80 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 pm

No way the Packers cut Pep if he keeps producing like he has. Retirement is an option if we win it all.

I think Raji will walk. He screwed up his chances at truly big contracts before, and will look for max money for his likely last deal. Packers have been grooming Pennel, who has been playing real well and can conceivably take over the NT position.

TT simply does not let quality 2nd contract guys go. Daniels will be re-signed. His impact has been such that franchise tag is even an option.

Perry is having by far his best season, and I would REALLY like to see him back. He seems to have finally have figured it out.

On O, JJ is again an option, for a reasonable sum and contract length. Dunno if he's willing to be on a team where Adams and TyMont will take bigger roles.

I have no qualms at handing the backup QB duties over to Hundley, but would bring back Tolzien if he gets zero interest elsewhere.
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

salmar80

Postby flapackfan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:54 pm

I rather lose them a year early than a year too late, BUT, #56 has a lot left, seemingly. Maybe he retires because of the ring, but if he continues throughout the season at his current level of play, I want him back. I am liking Perry's play, but he is like the hot chick you could could get, and then find out she has blemishes as well. No disrespect intended.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby BF004 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:14 pm

http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23641

Quick plug for my mock draft and hopefully encouraging people that we have a draft forum everyone should be visiting and contributing to. =)
BF004

Postby salmar80 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:38 pm

BF004 wrote:http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23641

Quick plug for my mock draft and hopefully encouraging people that we have a draft forum everyone should be visiting and contributing to. =)

Good stuff BF, and I'll be back in that part of our forum around Senior Bowl time... I simply can't handle talking about the draft for an entire year - there's a tsunami of draft stuff every spring, and that suffices for my tastes.
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

salmar80

Postby lupethefiasco » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:40 am

I think keeping Raji, Daniels, and Perry is the way to go. Hayward is expendable at this point and I think its almost a forgone conclusion he the man out with Rollins and Randall and Hyde probably being the slot man going forward. Other than that I say clean the rest of them out.
Ted Thompson is a nutless wet blanket of a GM. NO BALLS! NO COJONES!
lupethefiasco

Postby OldPackerFan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:12 am

Don't forget to resign Mason.

Raji would be tough to replace, Daniels would be easier, almost have to resign one of them. I'd like to see Barclay resigned and I don't think it will cost a lot to keep him. Probably 3 or 4 others will be resigned but none of the others are important. Tolzein is gone for sure.
OldPackerFan

Postby go pak go » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 pm

I have been thinking of this more and more lately as well. My dream scenario is we win the Super Bowl and Julius retires. I just really want to keep our younger guys. With his cap savings, that pretty much pays for Daniels in his first year which will be our pricey free agent signing.

The other 4 players I really want to keep is (in order) Perry, Raji, Crosby and Neal. I am a huge Perry fan and think once he can get over this hump he will actually be a pretty good player for us. I think his value or contract should be around 4 to 5 million per year with Raji at 6 million per year for two years and Daniels at that 10 to 11 million per year mark. I look at Elliot being able to replace Neal if necessary.

Hopefully our players' deals will all be fairly short termed.

Crosby will be interesting because he was drastically overpaid the majority of his contract and that will be brought up. I think we get him for a decent deal on our end. As for James Jones, that is completely up to him and the external market.

I think we can keep our players big name players at a cap of around $25 million cap hit allowing us to carry-forward a decent amount of cap into our feared 2017.

Needs going into the draft would then include:

Inside Linebacker
Tight End
Offensive Tackle
Defensive Linemen
Wide Receiver
Running Back Outside Linebacker

We would most likely be able to address most of those needs if necessary come draft time.
Next Man Up
go pak go

Postby backthepack4ever » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't see ILBer so much a need as a want. With Clay moving around and the young guys we have, Im not so worried about the position. We can make it. An upgrade is always nice but OLB will be a bigger need imo. If we lose Perry or Neal or both, we need to add.

Id say draft needs

OLB
OL
TE
DL
WR
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm

I suspect we will need to sign one of Neal or Perry. Peppers is getting long in the tooth. ILB isn't set either. If Ryan doesn't look like he can contribute this year, chances are he won't in the future. Barrington, Thomas, and Palmer are average at best ILBs. We need an upgrade there, still.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby NCF » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:I suspect we will need to sign one of Neal or Perry. Peppers is getting long in the tooth. ILB isn't set either. If Ryan doesn't look like he can contribute this year, chances are he won't in the future. Barrington, Thomas, and Palmer are average at best ILBs. We need an upgrade there, still.

I feel the same way about Neal and Perry. EIther/or would be nice.

After witnessing how it played out with House/Tramon, though, I would not be surprised if both were back, one of the two, or neither. I think we try to keep both of them, but odds are at least one will get more money elsewhere. I think Neal is the easier re-sign of the two.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Cdragon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

We've seen Ryan on 4 snaps I'm not going to make any judgments about him until he plays. Raji is finally playing like or being allowed to play like he wants a deal. Getting Daniels back would be huge.

Richardson is gone because of the neck.

Q and Starks probably get deals. Barclay might get an off but not much better than here. Jones was forced to test the waters and was shipwrecked twice. If he's offered a deal he's taking it here.

Looks like another D heavy draft.
Cdragon

Next

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum