Packers 2016 Offseason at a Glance

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Starr to Favre and now Aaron Rodgers, we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Packers 2016 Offseason at a Glance

Postby BF004 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:04 pm

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:I suspect we will need to sign one of Neal or Perry. Peppers is getting long in the tooth. ILB isn't set either. If Ryan doesn't look like he can contribute this year, chances are he won't in the future. Barrington, Thomas, and Palmer are average at best ILBs. We need an upgrade there, still.

I feel the same way about Neal and Perry. EIther/or would be nice.

After witnessing how it played out with House/Tramon, though, I would not be surprised if both were back, one of the two, or neither. I think we try to keep both of them, but odds are at least one will get more money elsewhere. I think Neal is the easier re-sign of the two.

I think Mulumba and Jayronne could make our lives a lot easier by stepping up a bit.

I think we lose both to be honest, if Peppers is back.
BF004

Postby go pak go » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:05 pm

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:I suspect we will need to sign one of Neal or Perry. Peppers is getting long in the tooth. ILB isn't set either. If Ryan doesn't look like he can contribute this year, chances are he won't in the future. Barrington, Thomas, and Palmer are average at best ILBs. We need an upgrade there, still.

After witnessing how it played out with House/Tramon, though, I would not be surprised if both were back, one of the two, or neither. I think we try to keep both of them, but odds are at least one will get more money elsewhere. I think Neal is the easier re-sign of the two.

I hope we keep Perry based off the fact I think he is a different rusher than Neal. I view Perry more as a bull rusher and Neal as a bit more agile which I think Elliot could replace easier; however, I also think Neal will be much cheaper.

Really, it is impossible to speculate who we will keep and who we will not keep at the moment. The second half of the season and the playoffs will start assessing these guys' valuations. If we go on a Super Bowl run and these guys are relevant, I could see their price tag jump quite a bit.

I think we can all agree the one position we are fairly solid for in 2016 is the secondary. As long as our expectations of the guys hold true.
Next Man Up
go pak go

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Cdragon wrote:We've seen Ryan on 4 snaps I'm not going to make any judgments about him until he plays.

I think that is the issue. He might not play because he lacks that skills to play. We resigned Joe Thomas and the guy played right away. Ryan couldn't crack the lineup. That worries me.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:14 pm

BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

I think Mulumba and Jayronne could make our lives a lot easier by stepping up a bit.

I forgot about Jayrone! He will be a nice addition, but I still think we need to resign one of Perry or Neal. Imagine if we lose Perry and Neal while Peppers retires or takes a big step back, he will turn 37 at the end of next season. That would leave Jayrone Elliott, Clay Matthews, and Andy Mulumba as the only OLBs with snaps in 2015. That would be scary.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:
Cdragon wrote:We've seen Ryan on 4 snaps I'm not going to make any judgments about him until he plays.

I think that is the issue. He might not play because he lacks that skills to play. We resigned Joe Thomas and the guy played right away. Ryan couldn't crack the lineup. That worries me.

Yeah, MLB is usually a spot where if guys have it, they show it from day 1. Haven't seen any sign that he has it.
BF004

Postby Cdragon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:

He was injured though.
Cdragon

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Cdragon wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

He was injured though.

Joe Thomas was added and played before Ryan was injured.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby go pak go » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm

BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

And that's why I hope we win the Super Bowl and Peppers retires. We just save too much money and I fear his effectiveness will diminish greatly next year. I would rather be able to keep Raji and either Neal or Perry over Peppers for one last year.
Next Man Up
go pak go

Postby Cdragon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

He was injured though.

He was resigned about 4 days before Ryan had the hammy because of other injuries to Barrington and Boyd. Thomas played in the game Ryan got hurt in. I don't know how much either would have played had Ryan not gotten hurt but Thomas had half a year on the PS and the way our coaches grab at any kind of experience he had the inside track. It doesn't tell me anything about what Ryan is yet.
Cdragon

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Cdragon wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Cdragon wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

He was injured though.

He was resigned about 4 days before Ryan had the hammy because of other injuries to Barrington and Boyd. Thomas played in the game Ryan got hurt in. I don't know how much either would have played had Ryan not gotten hurt but Thomas had half a year on the PS and the way our coaches grab at any kind of experience he had the inside track. It doesn't tell me anything about what Ryan is yet.

Joe Thomas was signed to the packers 53 man roster on Monday September 21st. He played 38 snaps in the Chiefs game, 6 days later. Jake Ryan played his only 4 snaps of the season that game. Thomas was playing at the outset of that game, prior to Ryan's Hamstring injury. Even with the injury to Barrington, Ryan didn't see much time at all in the next 2 games before his own injury. Jake Ryan was active again in week 6.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby grace1st » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm

go pak go wrote:
NCF wrote:

I hope we keep Perry based off the fact I think he is a different rusher than Neal. I view Perry more as a bull rusher and Neal as a bit more agile which I think Elliot could replace easier; however, I also think Neal will be much cheaper.

Really, it is impossible to speculate who we will keep and who we will not keep at the moment. The second half of the season and the playoffs will start assessing these guys' valuations. If we go on a Super Bowl run and these guys are relevant, I could see their price tag jump quite a bit.

I think we can all agree the one position we are fairly solid for in 2016 is the secondary. As long as our expectations of the guys hold true.

I think Neal is much more valuable than Perry. Capers can use more diverse schemes with Neal. I also think that makes Neal more valuable on the open market. Some other team will see that too. I'm not really sure that Perry isn't going to be seen as anything more than a JAG.
God bless America
grace1st

Previous

Return to JustJeff's Packers Forum