Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't football related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Random stuff

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 pm

I did find out that my work laptop (that does work on that AT&T network) does hop through a proxy. So that's probably why that machine is different.

That makes me think DNS then, but who knows, I hate networking issues.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby paco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:
I did find out that my work laptop (that does work on that AT&T network) does hop through a proxy. So that's probably why that machine is different.

That makes me think DNS then, but who knows, I hate networking issues.

Yep, me too. That's why I've stayed out of that area. I hide behind spreadsheets more than anything else now. Been a while since I got down and dirty on the tech side of things.
paco

Postby Trudge » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

If you use 8.8.8.8 as a secondary DNS does that work? Set it manually.
Trudge

Postby paco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:45 am

Trudge wrote:If you use 8.8.8.8 as a secondary DNS does that work? Set it manually.

No dice, tried that today too. Also an alternative "open DNS". Although I only set it on her network adapter. I probably should have changed it on the modem as well, but I wasn't going to mess with that. The only way I can get around the problem on her network is to use a proxy site like Hidester. Then it works. I've officially written up my findings and told her to work with AT&T and her web hosting site to figure out the problem between them.

In the end I tested 3 laptops and 2 phones on 4 networks in every imaginable combination. What is consistent is none of it works on her network unless it bounces through a proxy. All tracert's show if failing on the final step timing out connecting to the website's IP.

She's going to start reaching out to people tomorrow or Friday to dig into it more. Good news is she's happy with the Hidester work-around.
paco

Postby Trudge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 am

paco wrote:
Trudge wrote:If you use 8.8.8.8 as a secondary DNS does that work? Set it manually.

No dice, tried that today too. Also an alternative "open DNS". Although I only set it on her network adapter. I probably should have changed it on the modem as well, but I wasn't going to mess with that. The only way I can get around the problem on her network is to use a proxy site like Hidester. Then it works. I've officially written up my findings and told her to work with AT&T and her web hosting site to figure out the problem between them.

In the end I tested 3 laptops and 2 phones on 4 networks in every imaginable combination. What is consistent is none of it works on her network unless it bounces through a proxy. All tracert's show if failing on the final step timing out connecting to the website's IP.

She's going to start reaching out to people tomorrow or Friday to dig into it more. Good news is she's happy with the Hidester work-around.

Definitely a DNS issue it seems like. One way to know for sure is if you could ping the website from a device that can get there, get the IP and see if you can enter that into the browser instead of the domain and see if you can get there. 50.28.38.38 is what I got when I pinged it. Was able to get to the website entering that as well. Could you enter that into a browser and get there? If you can, see if you can flush DNS on what's providing DNS to the user's PC. I've had to do that on Windows Home Server for Avenue Jewelers before since the local PC gets DNS information from the DNS provider.
Trudge

Postby paco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Trudge wrote:
paco wrote:

Definitely a DNS issue it seems like. One way to know for sure is if you could ping the website from a device that can get there, get the IP and see if you can enter that into the browser instead of the domain and see if you can get there. 50.28.38.38 is what I got when I pinged it. Was able to get to the website entering that as well. Could you enter that into a browser and get there? If you can, see if you can flush DNS on what's providing DNS to the user's PC. I've had to do that on Windows Home Server for Avenue Jewelers before since the local PC gets DNS information from the DNS provider.

Yep, I did all that. Couldn't ping the IP or get to it by that. Same issue after flushing.
paco

Postby TheGreenMan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

paco wrote:
Trudge wrote:
paco wrote:

Yep, I did all that. Couldn't ping the IP or get to it by that. Same issue after flushing.

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again paco?
RIP JustJeff
TheGreenMan

Postby NCF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Have you tried kicking the #$%! out of it?

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby paco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm

TheGreenMan wrote:Have you tried turning it off and then back on again paco?

paco

Postby paco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm

NCF wrote:Have you tried kicking the #$%! out of it?

Pretty damn close to it!
paco

Postby paco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Onto my next saga.... My wife's car was broken into in our drive way. Technically, "broken into" is the wrong thing to say. Car was parked in our drive way and she hadn't locked the doors. Car and everything in it was tossed and a mess, GPS unit stolen, and change was stolen.

I do live in kind of a crappy neighborhood. But this is the first time (that I'm aware of), I've had anything happen. My wife almost always locks the car, but she forgot this time. So now I'm looking at outdoor wireless security cameras. I figure one or 2 should cover my driveway, sidewalk up to the front door, and the other side of my house to the back door and garage. As always, my budget is small. But I think even just 1 camera can handle most of the area I'd want to watch. So I think I can get away with something for under $150. If anyone use's anything specific, suggestions are welcome. I'd like color, wireless, battery or ac powered is fine. I'll hook it up to my pc wirelessly, but onboard sd card would be nice too. I may get some motion sensing lights too.

But I'm afraid with my ample squirrel, rabbit, bird, fox, skunk, opossum raccoon, etc population, they'll be on all the time.

stupid punks. Maybe I'll just sit at home on the front porch with a rifle and shotgun. GET OFF MY LAWN!
paco

Postby Trudge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 am

paco wrote:
Trudge wrote:
paco wrote:

No way that's DNS then. Very odd issue. Has to be provider related somehow.
Trudge

Postby APB » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:59 am

paco wrote:Onto my next saga.... My wife's car was broken into in our drive way. Technically, "broken into" is the wrong thing to say. Car was parked in our drive way and she hadn't locked the doors. Car and everything in it was tossed and a mess, GPS unit stolen, and change was stolen.

I do live in kind of a crappy neighborhood. But this is the first time (that I'm aware of), I've had anything happen. My wife almost always locks the car, but she forgot this time. So now I'm looking at outdoor wireless security cameras. I figure one or 2 should cover my driveway, sidewalk up to the front door, and the other side of my house to the back door and garage. As always, my budget is small. But I think even just 1 camera can handle most of the area I'd want to watch. So I think I can get away with something for under $150. If anyone use's anything specific, suggestions are welcome. I'd like color, wireless, battery or ac powered is fine. I'll hook it up to my pc wirelessly, but onboard sd card would be nice too. I may get some motion sensing lights too.

But I'm afraid with my ample squirrel, rabbit, bird, fox, skunk, opossum raccoon, etc population, they'll be on all the time.

stupid punks. Maybe I'll just sit at home on the front porch with a rifle and shotgun. GET OFF MY LAWN!

That is right up Louder's alley. I know he doesn't come around much anymore but you might try sending him a PM.
APB

Postby BF004 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Wife is off to some interviews in Green Bay and Appleton right now and tomorrow and looking at some houses in the De Pere/Wrightstown area.

Her job has been kicking her butt lately since her RN left so she is looking for something less demanding and back near the holy land.

Everyone wish her some luck.
BF004

Postby paco » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 pm

BF004 wrote:Wife is off to some interviews in Green Bay and Appleton right now and tomorrow and looking at some houses in the De Pere/Wrightstown area.

Her job has been kicking her butt lately since her RN left so she is looking for something less demanding and back near the holy land.

Everyone wish her some luck.

Kick some ass Mrs. 004!
paco

PreviousNext

Return to Cheesehead Chatter - PG