Game of Thrones

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't football related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby madcity_matt » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:30 pm

mnkcarp wrote:
madcity_matt wrote:
APB wrote:
mnkcarp wrote:Reading the books during the interim. On the Storm of Swords right now - very enjoyable.

I'm on A Dance With Dragons. Love the book series.

After the season finale, started from book one and just finished the series (what's been published, anyway.) You know nothing, mnkcarp. :)

I hope that was meant as a jape. Not that I'm getting my smallclothes in a wad either way.

I'm almost done with A Dance with Dragons. Also hearing rumors about a very important scene with Cersei making its way onto the little screen.

I was channeling my inner ygritte. Yes it was a jape :)
madcity_matt

Postby glorydays » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am

Loved watching the new episode last nite. Who will be the next set of rulers? So many possibilities.
glorydays

Postby Lord Ben » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:01 am

I subscribe to HBO and don't plan to stop but since Episodes 1-4 were leaked online already I watched the first 4 yesterday. It's a great season so far... like always!!

Lots of changes that substantially deviate from the book but probably best for the show itself anyway.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 pm

I too watched all four released episodes. It is like I waited for a year to take a bite of chocolate cake and then preceded to eat half of it in 30 seconds...
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby APB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:01 am

Lord Ben wrote:I subscribe to HBO and don't plan to stop but since Episodes 1-4 were leaked online already I watched the first 4 yesterday. It's a great season so far... like always!!

Lots of changes that substantially deviate from the book but probably best for the show itself anyway.

Yeah, hard not to notice the deviations from the books. Kinda exciting, tho, to be honest.

I kinda like not knowing what is going on with the Bronn and Jaime adventure, although I'm guessing it'll be similar to how the action in Dorne played out in the book, just with those two as the main characters. Also, Tyrion and Varys are off on their own little tangent. Glad to see that as I wasn't too thrilled with how Tyrion's story went in the book. Pairing him with Varys through this period should be much more fun to watch.
APB

Postby mnkcarp » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:40 am

Sam's machinations to get Jon Snow elected were pretty much skipped over - that was a really cool part in the book that was just bland on the show.
Cheese curds...

are good.
mnkcarp
His Royal Pointyness

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 pm

mnkcarp wrote:Sam's machinations to get Jon Snow elected were pretty much skipped over - that was a really cool part in the book that was just bland on the show.

I've only watched and I was thinking that it was such a waste - an election is always a chance for drama and intrigue and back room deals and unsavory stuff - good TV. Instead it was just a few monologues and a vote...meh.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby APB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:09 pm

mnkcarp wrote:Sam's machinations to get Jon Snow elected were pretty much skipped over - that was a really cool part in the book that was just bland on the show.

Yeah, I agree. I was looking forward to that sequence of events because it marked a distinctive growth point in Sam's character, but the way it was portrayed in the show just left it somewhat hollow.
APB

Postby Bigcheese » Mon May 18, 2015 8:49 pm

what do you all think of the season so far?
RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

Postby Pckfn23 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:10 pm

Bigcheese wrote:what do you all think of the season so far?

Fairly tedious. A lot of setup, not much action.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 pm

"The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant."

"We both peddle fantasies...mine just happen to be entertaining."

The action has slowed, too much. That's not my main complaint tho, as the writing and acting is still very good. That said...

(1) In a few instances the writing has been quite bad. The scene with the Sand Snakes was something out of a B movie.

(2) The Boltons and Ramsay are just too evil with no redeeming qualities. Just too heavy handed. I mean, Jamie Lannister pushed a kid from a window and banged/raped his own sister, but his motivations make sense and he has some good qualities. Ramsay is just cartoon evil.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby mnkcarp » Tue May 19, 2015 12:14 am

The screenwriting is falling way short of the books, especially with the Dorn story, the omission of the Greyjoys' story, the paring down of Tyrion's journey to Mereen, and the Cersei/Marjory story in King's Landing - they made it all about Loras' sexuality, which was an entirely different focus than that story in the book. The deviations are fine, but they make you look harder at the choices, and the choices don't seem right when there isn't enough backstory to explain the motivations.
Cheese curds...

are good.
mnkcarp
His Royal Pointyness

Postby Bigcheese » Tue May 19, 2015 4:03 pm

With only 4 episodes left I ask.

What has Stannis or Danerys gained so far? Arya is still scrubbing floors. Sure John Snow is in charge, but?

Rather frustrating!
RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Bigcheese wrote:With only 4 episodes left I ask.

What has Stannis or Danerys gained so far? Arya is still scrubbing floors. Sure John Snow is in charge, but?

Rather frustrating!

I haven't gotten to the 5th book (Dance with Dragons), but I just think it is kind of the way the books are going. They have gotten so convoluted that it is tough to figure out where things are going. I just hope Martin can tie it all back together.

I also think the series is trying to slow it down because their source material is running out. Winds of Winter doesn't even come out until next year and they are already on Dance with Dragons in the series.

Where is Bran?

One thing they almost seemed to touch on was John Snow's lineage, I hope we find that out some time.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Bigcheese » Tue May 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Pckfn23 wrote:
Bigcheese wrote:With only 4 episodes left I ask.

Rather frustrating!

Where is Bran?

It's kind of wierd about Bran. Remember last season he talks to the man in the tree, and he ask if he will walk again and he is told "no" but you will fly. Well that actually happens in the 5th book.

My theory, Bran will be able to become one of the dragons :wink:
RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

PreviousNext

Return to Cheesehead Chatter - PG