Game of Thrones

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't football related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Lord Ben » Tue May 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Bran is all caught up except for one little bit in his final chapter with some visions after eating a bowl of "weirwood sap paste".

Ramsey/Roose quarrel a bit in the books (subtext) so I think the portrayal of Ramsey as totally deviant will work pretty well because the quiet and cunning Roose seems "less" evil after sticking a sword through Robb.

My guess would be that the Sand Snakes and Dorne have a different set director from the other scenes... they're just pretty badly done.... all of them.

The Loras thing is my biggest hangup thus far. I don't mind them including his character but in the books the Tyrell gang was clearly set up by Cersei but innocent. Now they're set up by Cersei and guilty. I did notice the man-whore claimed to be Loras's squire though. Maybe he'll get set free on a technicality.

At the end of this season the books should be pretty much caught up with the novel. Stannis is on track to be where he is. Boltons inside Winterfell with a Stark, Jon Snow ready to depart for Hardhome with his wildling/watch mixed force, Dany married, Jorah/Tyrion approaching Meereen, trials about to start in King's Landing, Brienne still chasing a Stark girl, Arya learning more but not complete.

Main differences?
Randyll Tarly - mentioned by Stannis to Sam so maybe he'll come in towards the end, maybe next season. Usually if they spend time talking about someone new it's because they have a part to play soon in the show.
Quentyn - cut from the show.
Griff and Young Griff - Season 6 additions? Cut? It's hard to say since we don't know how important they are since they're story is still starting.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby Bigcheese » Wed May 20, 2015 6:10 pm

^^ Great post!
RIP Peace Jeff
38-17 Packers!
Bigcheese

Postby APB » Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm wondering if the Griff and Young Griff storylines are going to be omitted entirely? Not a peep of them so far in the series. Strange because in the books their storylines seem to be building up to something significant.

Agree with the Dorne storyline and filming. Just seems disjointed and poorly presented.
APB

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Mon May 25, 2015 2:31 pm

I thought it was good episode.

At least we finally saw D. and Tyrion in the same scene....

Part of my disappoint this season is that the lack of sentimentality, which as first, with the beheading at the start of the story, was shocking and real and entertaining, has become wholly predictable. Was anyone surprised that the messenger was flayed by Ramnsay? That Cersei rubbed it in with Maegary? That Cersei became the next High Sparrow prisoner? That the writers used breasts to conceal a bad story line? Speaking of which,

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Meereen is the worst. And Daenerys really ought to know better than to wear white to a bloodbath. Do you know how hard it is to bleach out arterial spray?) And I still love Bronn, absolutely and without reservation. It was just a shame to see his charm stashed in a dungeon and yoked to … whatever that was with the flirty Sand Snake. Autoerotic incarceration? Magical antidotes in necklaces? Do they have mulligans in the Seven Kingdoms, and could we possibly take one on all of Dorne?
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby APB » Tue May 26, 2015 1:18 am

I'm an avid fan of the Grantland post-episode write-ups, too. In depth discussion into what's going on with the characters and various storylines that not only fill in a lot of holes, but does it from a fan perspective. I recommend it to all GOT fans.
APB

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 am

It was a good episode. Best one of the season so far. We should be getting somewhere now, with only 3 episodes left. We are back to David Benioff & D. B. Weiss now, so hopefully the storyline is a bit better from here on out.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Lord Ben » Wed May 27, 2015 12:35 am

APB wrote:I'm wondering if the Griff and Young Griff storylines are going to be omitted entirely? Not a peep of them so far in the series. Strange because in the books their storylines seem to be building up to something significant.

Agree with the Dorne storyline and filming. Just seems disjointed and poorly presented.

Yeah, I have a feeling that they'll get absorbed into the plot in the TV series. Dany is already way more of a "hero" type in the show than she is the book.

But maybe just late arrival too? They introduce new characters in new seasons and not when the book does it. Jojen and Meera Reed arrive way later in the show than books too.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 pm

Littlefinger: [The Iron Throne] has a certain appeal.

Varys: The Lysa Arryn of chairs. Shame you had to settle for your second choice.

Littlefinger: Early days, my friend. It is flattering really, you feeling such dread at the prospect of me getting what I want.

Varys: Thwarting you has never been my primary ambition, I promise you. Although, who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then.

Littlefinger: You're so right. For instance, when I thwarted your plan to give Sansa Stark to the Tyrells, if I'm going to be honest, I did feel an unmistakable sense of enjoyment there...

Varys: I did what I did for the good of the realm.

Littlefinger: The realm. Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies, a story we agree to tell each other over and over, until we forget that it's a lie.

Varys: But what do we have left, once we abandon the lie? Chaos? A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.

Littlefinger: Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby APB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 am

Last night's episode was pretty intense. From the back and forth opening dialog between Tyrion and Dany to the battle with the walkers, very edge-of-seat IMO. Also, we've gone beyond the books in many of the storylines. Only Arya is still playing out some of the written scenes. Very much looking forward to these next two episodes...but not the looooooooong off-season!
APB

Postby Lord Ben » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 pm

They storylines are off script but it seems like it'll end where the book does. Hardhome happens in the book we only hear of it via a raven instead of having a POV character there, etc. Jamie isn't around to help his sister too.

I think the next book will be out before the next season starts.
Lord Ben

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:08 am

Stannis

Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:09 am

Deus ex drogona

Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby Lord Ben » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm not cheering Stannis but I've always found it refreshing in GoT where characters are given hard choices and the "right" answer sometimes doesn't pay off. Ned keeps his honor... but loses his head, etc. Too many books allow the main characters to always do what's right and somehow they keep winning and their path is cleared from having to make messy choices. The guy who stole their father's throne is always an incompetent ruler, if they don't push the elderly out into a blizzard they always find food instead of everyone starving, etc.

People cheer when Robb Stark calls the banners to war to avenge a wrongful arrest of his father, consigning tens of thousands to die for his family pride. But if Stannis kills one to save thousands then he's a terrible evil person?

I'm not saying he's a great dude and super nice to have as a friend or anything. But if I was some random soldier and had the choice of the King giving up his family member so I got home safe vs me dying to save someone's Dad from a prison sentence or execution I know which one I'd pick every time.
Lord Ben

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 am

I don't think Stannis had a hard choice.

To me Stannis is just as fanatical as the High Sparrow. Both are religious nuts allowing the some distant end or ideal to justify their actions.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:26 am

I guess I'm always very fond of the High Sparrow, even the TV version, because I view it through the book's filter and it gets into his causes and motivations a lot more. It's hard to turn that off and view TV version as simply a fanatic.
Lord Ben

PreviousNext

Return to Cheesehead Chatter - PG