Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't football related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Random stuff

Postby paco » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:21 am

A thread for everything.

To start, I just ordered one of these for my dad's birthday. Thought about getting the US one, but went with Wisconsin. Maybe he'll get the US one himself. Fun idea for the beer memorabilia collector. Plus it was designed and is manufactured in Wisconsin.

Going to get him a few Blues CD's as well. Hard to believe that my old man is turning 60.

paco

Re: Random stuff

Postby paco » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 pm

I hate my job.
paco

Postby Trudge » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:17 pm

I've been looking too. Trying to get to Green Bay. Haven't had any responses in 10+ applications though.
Trudge

Postby APB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Bought the first motorcycle of my life this week. It only took 47 years. Last time I rode was in high school on the mean streets of Sheboygan! Looking forward to getting on the thing...once I get this basic rider course thingy done.

It's a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard M50. Wanted a cruiser type bike but didn't want something so big I'd wreck it the first week before I figured out how to ride. Looks good in my garage, at least!
Attachments
rsz_bike.jpg
rsz_bike.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 660 times
APB

Postby paco » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Does anyone want to give me a Million bucks or so? I would like to either start my own business or just retire and live out my days away from civilization. This working for people who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground is getting old.

I'm only 34. I've got another 30 years of this crap to go. :kaboom:
paco

Postby paco » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:01 pm

For the last several years, my dad, brother and I have gone on a fall fishing trip. This is proving to be hard to schedule. We've now ruled out all of September and the first 2 weekends in October. Thinking it might just end up being my dad and I. It's a shame, I actually like my brother there.

We don't want to turn this into an ice fishing trip. I'm frustrated. I want another vacation.
paco

Postby NCF » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:03 pm

paco wrote:For the last several years, my dad, brother and I have gone on a fall fishing trip. This is proving to be hard to schedule. We've now ruled out all of September and the first 2 weekends in October. Thinking it might just end up being my dad and I. It's a shame, I actually like my brother there.

We don't want to turn this into an ice fishing trip. I'm frustrated. I want another vacation.

My dad hasn't quite accepted it yet, but I'm pretty sure my annual deer hunting trip with my brother and dad will not be happening this year. It sucks when plans fall through or don't get made, but it sucks even worse when there is a legitimate reason not to do something you are accustomed to doing every single year.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby paco » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:07 pm

NCF wrote:
paco wrote:For the last several years, my dad, brother and I have gone on a fall fishing trip. This is proving to be hard to schedule. We've now ruled out all of September and the first 2 weekends in October. Thinking it might just end up being my dad and I. It's a shame, I actually like my brother there.

My dad hasn't quite accepted it yet, but I'm pretty sure my annual deer hunting trip with my brother and dad will not be happening this year. It sucks when plans fall through or don't get made, but it sucks even worse when there is a legitimate reason not to do something you are accustomed to doing every single year.

Yep. It sucks that it's just work stuff we can't all get around. My dad is travelling to Brazil for a week or so in September, so that knocks out 2 weeks. Then my brother has a week or 2 he can't get away and his wife has a week or 2 she has to work so he can't leave their kid. Me, I had 1 week in question. I made it work. I blame my bro. He never thinks of stuff in advance to make it work. We do this every year. Ask a week off of work ahead of time! It's not that hard!
paco

Postby Waldo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of moving into my new house. One of the features is a shop; my last house had neither shop space nor a garage. I managed to get enough tools now that I can do pretty much every major function to wood (but turn, however turners are an odd bunch and turned things have relatively low utility), and most to metal.

It really changes your perspective on things when you can pretty much fix everything, usually with upgrades, and if you want something, you can make it.

Right now I'm working on redoing my front doors. The original ones were hollow (eek), plain, and painted black. Got some new doors, some windows to install in them, all new top of the line door hardware. I'm just about done, should have them hanging early next week. Its going to transform the look from a hidden and plain into a portal to a fabulous space.

Then its on to a rad built in storage cabinet/entertainment center.
Waldo

Postby paco » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Very cool Waldo. I wish I was better with building and fixing things. I can do stuff if I have to. But better if I have someone around who knows what they are doing. I was always better in the kitchen.
paco

Postby BF004 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Waldo wrote:Yesterday was the one year anniversary of moving into my new house. One of the features is a shop; my last house had neither shop space nor a garage. I managed to get enough tools now that I can do pretty much every major function to wood (but turn, however turners are an odd bunch and turned things have relatively low utility), and most to metal.

It really changes your perspective on things when you can pretty much fix everything, usually with upgrades, and if you want something, you can make it.

Right now I'm working on redoing my front doors. The original ones were hollow (eek), plain, and painted black. Got some new doors, some windows to install in them, all new top of the line door hardware. I'm just about done, should have them hanging early next week. Its going to transform the look from a hidden and plain into a portal to a fabulous space.

Then its on to a rad built in storage cabinet/entertainment center.

Been following your stuff on facebook, looking quite good I gotta say. Through finishing our basement in the last year, I've learned all kinds of things. Doing wiring, installing outlets and lights, built our solid oak bartop, in-ceiling speakers, trim, doors, been doing other fun things like making cornhole boards, built a little table for our girls (still need to make some chairs), stripping sanding and am going to refinish our kitchen table right now, in progress. Next on the list is to make a pair of adirondack (sp?) chairs for the front porch. Going through replacing tons of light switches in our house with dimmer switches too.

Definitely look at things different, as in generally what is an easy fix or replacement build instead of buying new. Slowly but surely starting to collect more and more tools making future projects possible.
BF004

Postby Waldo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:14 pm

BF004 wrote:Been following your stuff on facebook, looking quite good I gotta say. Through finishing our basement in the last year, I've learned all kinds of things. Doing wiring, installing outlets and lights, built our solid oak bartop, in-ceiling speakers, trim, doors, been doing other fun things like making cornhole boards, built a little table for our girls (still need to make some chairs), stripping sanding and am going to refinish our kitchen table right now, in progress. Next on the list is to make a pair of adirondack (sp?) chairs for the front porch. Going through replacing tons of light switches in our house with dimmer switches too.

Definitely look at things different, as in generally what is an easy fix or replacement build instead of buying new. Slowly but surely starting to collect more and more tools making future projects possible.

Thx.

Yeah I built a cornhole board too, one of the first things I build. Plus refinished a few furniture pieces we found cheap. Year 1 in the new house by and large though has been lights, outlets, switches, dimmers, fans, etc.., though I redid all the interior doors also. The front doors are a totally different beast than the interior doors.

On the mid-term radar is to do something for the front porch as well. I'll probably go to the well again with pallets, which I have a couple more of (but not as nice of wood as what I used for the lamp), I'm thinking just a simple bench, the top laminated pallet slats, solid across, about 2" thick, with breeze blocks (If I can ever get my hands on some, not easy to find) for a base.

I might try to fit in a chair before I do the built-ins, more of a funding issue. I'm planning on using walnut plywood for the bulk of the cabinets, but with a solid walnut frame and base, with baltic birch sliding doors. Needless to say, materials alone are going to be upwards of $500, so it'll take a bit to amass it all. Right now I've got a fair amount of 6/4 and 4/4 quartersawn cherry that I scored at an estate sale for pennies, enough to make a lounge chair. A chair isn't high on the needs list, but I have the stuff to make it. Was going to try to make myself a Z-chair, which is about as perfect as a chair can be IMHO.

Waldo

Postby wallyuwl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 pm

paco wrote:A thread for everything.

wallyuwl

Postby paco » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 pm

I just pissed off half of Canada.
paco

Postby NCF » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:20 pm

paco wrote:I just pissed off half of Canada.

How'd you pull that off?

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Next

Return to Cheesehead Chatter - PG