Ebola: Is the end really here?

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Lord Ben » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 am

Beagle wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:Looks like NY has ebola. So does Mali.


Mayor of New York says "no reason to be alarmed." :roll:


That's because he wasn't bowling or on the subway last night!
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
User avatar
Lord Ben
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Beagle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 am

Lord Ben wrote:
Beagle wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:Looks like NY has ebola. So does Mali.


Mayor of New York says "no reason to be alarmed." :roll:


That's because he wasn't bowling or on the subway last night!


:lol:
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
User avatar
Beagle
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Lord Ben » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 am

Just remember that panic is more dangerous than Ebola. Within the 21 day risk period after working with ebola patients Dr Spencer started feeling "under the weather". Now, you or I might decide to get a little panic in us at this point but he was way too smart for that. He knows, as we've been told, that panic is more dangerous than Ebola so he spared us dangerous bouts of concern and courageously rode the subway and went bowling.

He should be an inspiration to us all. As you ponder how bad it could be just remember how much worse it wouldhave been instead were he to not display the very opposite of panic.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
User avatar
Lord Ben
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Start spreading Ebola, I'm dying today
I want to kill a part of it, New York, New York

These infected Docs, are trying to stray
Right through the very heart of it, New York, New York.

I want to wear a hazmat suit that doesn't seep,
and find I'm not really ill
Low Fore-head heat

These African villages, are dying away
I'll make a brand new start of it, in old New York

If I can vomit here,
you'll vo-mit everywhere,
It's in side you, New York, New York!

New York, New York!
I want to wear a hazmat suit that doesn't seep,
And find I'm A-symp-to-matic, off the no-fly list, not really ill, A-symp-to-matic

If I can spread it here,
I'll spread it everywhere,
It's in side you, New York, New York!
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Anyone want to go Ebowling tonight?
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Beagle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Lord Ben wrote:Just remember that panic is more dangerous than Ebola. Within the 21 day risk period after working with ebola patients Dr Spencer started feeling "under the weather". Now, you or I might decide to get a little panic in us at this point but he was way too smart for that. He knows, as we've been told, that panic is more dangerous than Ebola so he spared us dangerous bouts of concern and courageously rode the subway and went bowling.

He should be an inspiration to us all. As you ponder how bad it could be just remember how much worse it wouldhave been instead were he to not display the very opposite of panic.


Agree. I still think a country like the US has much faster response and is better equipped to handle a crisis than anything West Africa can offer. We will get cases here but they will be very limited. The response so far (except for Duncan) has been overwhelming.

What bothers me is the Doctor who came back NYC from treating infected patients. There needs to be better control over the program of "Doctors without Borders" (or anybody else for that matter)and how they are commuting to and from these infected regions. They need to be quarantined or monitored before flying home, then jogging, then kissing/sleeping with Significant Others, bowling, riding subways, riding taxis, eating out.....in other words, resuming their lives in the big city.

This Doctor could very well get sued and rightfully so. He should have known better. He is a Doctor. There is a fine line between caution and over reaction. I don't think he was cautious enough. IMO.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
User avatar
Beagle
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Beagle wrote:What bothers me is the Doctor who came back NYC from treating infected patients....
This Doctor could very well get sued and rightfully so. He should have known better. He is a Doctor. There is a fine line between caution and over reaction. I don't think he was cautious enough. IMO.


A little common sense would go a long way. If you're returning from treating ebola patients, how about a 21 day quarantine just to be safe? It's OK to have people from Ebola countries come here, just have a three week quarantine.

The fact that no one on these flights with ebola people have gotten sick gives more evidence that the transmission is through at least larger droplets more directly into mucosa. It ain't getting aerosolized as small particles; it ain't going through respiration. But why take chances, when simple preventative measures will work extremely well?
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby wallyuwl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:51 pm

GreenDay wrote: It ain't getting aerosolized as small particles; it ain't going through respiration. But why take chances, when simple preventative measures will work extremely well?


You can't quarantine people. It would be discriminatory. Travelism. Discriminating against people because of where they have traveled. Sure, it could prevent a worldwide epidemic. But it would also hurt people's feelings, potentially. And we can't take that risk of hurting people's feelings.
User avatar
wallyuwl
 
Posts: 12155
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GeMatt » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 am

When it comes to Ebola, I'll put my faith in the medical community. It's too serious of a problem to be dealt with by politicians looking for votes and the panic struck public.

Is the end here? When I was a kid the same fear of TB scared many. But we got through it, and came up with solutions to rid the country of the disease. Same with HIV. We'll get thru this also. It's a matter of everyone working together.In fact there are some promising drugs on the board.
GeMatt
 
Posts: 5764
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 am

One problem is that there isn't the same kind of healthy separation between political and medical, at least at the top echelons. The lack of common sense in favor of political agendas is astonishing throughout the institutions of the federal government.
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby OutRider » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

According to the U.S. Army, Ebola can and will thrive in cold weather--like below 45 degrees.
It can and does become airborne at that point, just like influenza.
Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and general snotting around will spread it.
At that point, everybody becomes fair game, who is out and about, and around all that stuff.
Self protection will be mandatory.
OutRider
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby APB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 pm

OutRider wrote:According to the U.S. Army, Ebola can and will thrive in cold weather--like below 45 degrees.
It can and does become airborne at that point, just like influenza.
Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and general snotting around will spread it.
At that point, everybody becomes fair game, who is out and about, and around all that stuff.
Self protection will be mandatory.

Reference?
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8794
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Beagle » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:38 pm

APB wrote:
OutRider wrote:According to the U.S. Army, Ebola can and will thrive in cold weather--like below 45 degrees.
It can and does become airborne at that point, just like influenza.
Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and general snotting around will spread it.
At that point, everybody becomes fair game, who is out and about, and around all that stuff.
Self protection will be mandatory.

Reference?


He must be referring to this site:

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-army-ebola- ... ure-drops/

Owned and operated by Alex Jones:
**********************************************
"Jones has been the center of many controversies, including his controversial statements about gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. He has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing, the September 11 attacks and the filming of fake Moon landings to hide NASA's secret technology. He believes that government and big business have colluded to create a New World Order through "manufactured economic crises, sophisticated surveillance tech and—above all—inside-job terror attacks that fuel exploitable hysteria". Jones describes himself as a libertarian and a paleoconservative.

New York magazine described Jones as “America’s leading conspiracy theorist”, and the Southern Poverty Law Center describes him as "the most prolific conspiracy theorist in contemporary America." About being labeled a "conspiracy theorist", Jones has stated that he finds himself "proud to be listed as a thought criminal against Big Brother".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_(radio_host)
**********************************************

Fake moon landings? Doesn't he watch the Big Bang Theory? We can bounce a laser off the moon because of the man made objects placed there. :D

Not really sure this is a credible source. :)

Ebola just landed in NJ but the US Army has arrived in Liberia to set up camp and defeat this evil virus. Or start the zombie apocalypse...... Which ever you prefer.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
User avatar
Beagle
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby OutRider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:28 am

APB wrote:
OutRider wrote:According to the U.S. Army, Ebola can and will thrive in cold weather--like below 45 degrees.
It can and does become airborne at that point, just like influenza.
Coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and general snotting around will spread it.
At that point, everybody becomes fair game, who is out and about, and around all that stuff.
Self protection will be mandatory.


Reference?


https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=us ... ld+weather
OutRider
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Pckfn23 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:14 am

Image
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 39656
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest