Ebola: Is the end really here?

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Lord Ben » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:54 pm

There is plenty to be concerned about without having to invent new reasons.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
User avatar
Lord Ben
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 am

Lord Ben wrote:There is plenty to be concerned about without having to invent new reasons.


were you planning on inventing something?
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:50 pm

GreenDay wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:There is plenty to be concerned about without having to invent new reasons.


were you planning on inventing something?


Anything from Alex Jones can pretty much be tossed in the trash. If he's a reliable source then we have worse problems in this country than Ebola. There would be secret concentration camps run by aliens, etc etc etc.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
User avatar
Lord Ben
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

The whole thing is good but this part is the key bit.

http://pjmedia.com/andrewmccarthy/2014/ ... d-science/

While current science indicates the disease can only be transmitted by contact with contaminated body fluids, it remains unclear if other transmission modes are feasible. Filoviruses are able to infect via the respiratory route and are lethal at very low doses in experimental animal models, however the infectious dose is unknown. There is minimal information on how well filoviruses survive within aerosolized particles, and in certain media like the biofilm of sewage systems.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
User avatar
Lord Ben
 
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Pckfn23 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:33 am

Lord Ben wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:There is plenty to be concerned about without having to invent new reasons.


were you planning on inventing something?


Anything from Alex Jones can pretty much be tossed in the trash. If he's a reliable source then we have worse problems in this country than Ebola. There would be secret concentration camps run by aliens, etc etc etc.



Ah, the internet. The boon and bane of the information age. Any crackpot can spread their insanity, or any crackpot can proliferate their genius.
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 40015
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby GreenDay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 am

I don't know anything about this Jones character. Sounds like I don't want to find out.
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
User avatar
GreenDay
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Beagle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 pm

"Hickox has twice tested negative for Ebola, says she feels healthy, and upon returning to her home state of Maine has publicly said that she intended to defy that state's similar quarantine request." :shock:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/health/us ... ?hpt=hp_t2

"Negotiations between Maine and nurse Kaci Hickox concerning where she can go during a potential Ebola incubation period have failed, and Gov. Paul LePage will "exercise the full extent of his authority allowable by law," the governor's office said Thursday."

This is kind of disturbing. I wonder what she means by "defy the quarantine"? Is she planning on returning to work while she has Ebola? I would guess that treating patients while you have this virus is not a very good idea.

Where do these idiots come from?
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
User avatar
Beagle
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby dsr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 am

She hasn't got Ebola, beagle. On the other hand, if she's being offered a 21 day stay-at-home vacation with pay, why not take it? There's no point wittering on about "constitutional rights" when exercising those rights is going to cause a panic akin to the "War of the Worlds" thing. She should have quietly agreedto self-quarantine and then gone for walks when no-one's watching and she didn't need to go near anyone.
dsr
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Lancashire, England

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Beagle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 am

dsr wrote:She hasn't got Ebola, beagle. On the other hand, if she's being offered a 21 day stay-at-home vacation with pay, why not take it? There's no point wittering on about "constitutional rights" when exercising those rights is going to cause a panic akin to the "War of the Worlds" thing. She should have quietly agreedto self-quarantine and then gone for walks when no-one's watching and she didn't need to go near anyone.


Yea, I see that now. I have reading comprehension problems today! :D

I agree with the points you made. I still think she is an idiot.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
User avatar
Beagle
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby dsr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:43 pm

I certainly agree she's an idiot. She could have stopped at home for 3 weeks and been an all-American heroine, risking her life to help Ebola sufferers before coming home and ensuring her friends and neighbours didn't suffer the very small but genuine risk of catching the disease. Or, as she has chosen, she could bang on about constitutional rights and get three minutes of notoriety, rather than fame, while exposing her neighbours to an admittedly tiny risk, while making sure that everyone in her town knows her and most of them hate her, and while getting everyone to forget about the rather good thing she did in treating Ebola sufferers in the first place.

As you said, an idiot. :roll:
dsr
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Lancashire, England

Re: Ebola: Is the end really here?

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Ironic how any worry over this disappeared around the middle of November last year.
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 40015
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests