Tennis 2015

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Tennis 2015

Postby RodgePodge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 am

Any tennis fans here? Let's discussing the upcoming year.
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Re: Tennis 2015

Postby Beagle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:12 am

RodgePodge wrote:Any tennis fans here? Let's discussing the upcoming year.

Yep! I play a lot as well as watch a ton of it. In fact, I am watching the Auckland tourney right now. IMO, Nadal is already hurt and saying he may not make the Aussie Open which leaves the door wide open for Novak Djok. to take the title. Not sure Stan W. makes it again to the final and Federer has a good, but outside shot at another title.

I used to be a regular at the US Open in NYC until I moved away from the area. Watching it live and court side is amazing.

I love tennis. It's a great way to stay in shape and requires a good degree of skill.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:11 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:Any tennis fans here? Let's discussing the upcoming year.

Yep! I play a lot as well as watch a ton of it. In fact, I am watching the Auckland tourney right now. IMO, Nadal is already hurt and saying he may not make the Aussie Open which leaves the door wide open for Novak Djok. to take the title. Not sure Stan W. makes it again to the final and Federer has a good, but outside shot at another title.

I used to be a regular at the US Open in NYC until I moved away from the area. Watching it live and court side is amazing.

I love tennis. It's a great way to stay in shape and requires a good degree of skill.

I agree re: playing tennis. It's a great way to stay in shape and is also a hobby, in terms of choosing specific technical things to work on. It is also an awesome mental chess/psychological match between players (in a serious match).

I recently went from a really light racquet to a very heavy one and hurt my shoulder, but I'm recovering now and should be back on the courts soon with a new (mid-weight) racquet. How would you describe your game? I have very good touch, solid BH, used to have a nice FH but need to rebuild my technique, same with serve. I play a very tactical game that changes based on my opponent, so I'm fine with doing whatever, except pushing because a) I don't like pushing; b) my stamina isn't so great.

Lost my league final last year 6-4 6-4 and was very disappointed.

For 2015, I see:
AO: Djokovic
FO: Nadal
W: Murray
USO: Nadal
WTF: Djokovic

YE1: Djokovic

I won't write Nadal off, ever. I don't buy his injuries and I believe he is doping. I think Murray has a bounceback year. Djokovic will continue to be solid. I think Fed will regress after his heavy 2014. Dimitrov will continue to flail until he changes coach. Del Potro will always be hurt. Ferrer and Berdych are worthless; Stan is too inconsistent to win another slam (though he loves AO and could win it again). I don't see any of the young guys breaking through this year, although I think that Nishikori will finish #3 and might win USO.
RodgePodge

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 am

I also find it really sad how sports media has abandoned tennis almost completely, yet loves to turn team sports like football into individual (QB) sports :messedup

But yeah, tennis is dying because of the media powers. Very sad. It is the most "pure" sport there is.
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I play mostly from the baseline and I like to wear down my opponents and make them miss. I move them around as much as I can while trying to keep them deep behind the baseline. I hit hard to force errors. You are right, it is a very tactical game.

I have a 2 handed backhand and I use the Babolat Aeropro Drive strung at 58. It gives me good control and spin. Feels good in my hand and it was a noticeable upgrade for me from the Prince Speed Sport (Black).

I play singles and doubles both in league play and I have found I am much happier just enjoying the competition and not worrying if I win or lose. I come home happier and I seem to play better when I am more relaxed. I took 3rd place ay my club last year so that was good.

I think this might be the year that Djokovic wrestles the French Open away from Nadal. It's way too early to really call anything but I could see it happening. I'll be pulling for Nadal though, he is currently the player I love watching. He is relentless. I am hope he gets healthy because the sport is a lot more fun to watch when he is on the court.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of Americans in the top ten. What is going on?? Isner is just not the answer and guys like Jack Sock I doubt will ever crack the top ten. We need a new Sampras! Roddick was a huge disappointment in my opinion but I still loved watching his matches.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Beagle wrote:I play mostly from the baseline and I like to wear down my opponents and make them miss. I move them around as much as I can while trying to keep them deep behind the baseline. I hit hard to force errors. You are right, it is a very tactical game.

I have a 2 handed backhand and I use the Babolat Aeropro Drive strung at 58. It gives me good control and spin. Feels good in my hand and it was a noticeable upgrade for me from the Prince Speed Sport (Black).

I play singles and doubles both in league play and I have found I am much happier just enjoying the competition and not worrying if I win or lose. I come home happier and I seem to play better when I am more relaxed. I took 3rd place ay my club last year so that was good.

I think this might be the year that Djokovic wrestles the French Open away from Nadal. It's way too early to really call anything but I could see it happening. I'll be pulling for Nadal though, he is currently the player I love watching. He is relentless. I am hope he gets healthy because the sport is a lot more fun to watch when he is on the court.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of Americans in the top ten. What is going on?? Isner is just not the answer and guys like Jack Sock I doubt will ever crack the top ten. We need a new Sampras! Roddick was a huge disappointment in my opinion but I still loved watching his matches.

Roddick had a great career but Fed really ruined his potential, sadly. Sock actually has top 10 potential IMO. Just such a great serve and FH (especially FH). He needs to improve his fitness and improve mentally, however.

You're right though, the American men's situation is bleak right now. Ryan Harrison has gone MIA, his little brother Christian is more talented but has had terrible luck with injuries. There are some really promising younger guys, but they won't be ready for at least a few years.
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 pm

RodgePodge wrote:
Roddick had a great career but Fed really ruined his potential, sadly. Sock actually has top 10 potential IMO. Just such a great serve and FH (especially FH). He needs to improve his fitness and improve mentally, however.

You're right though, the American men's situation is bleak right now. Ryan Harrison has gone MIA, his little brother Christian is more talented but has had terrible luck with injuries. There are some really promising younger guys, but they won't be ready for at least a few years.

Something happened to Roddick's forehand from about 2004 onwards. It became super spinny and could not penetrate through the court. Guys, especially guys like Roger Federer, would just eat it alive. It went from being a top weapon in the game to being below average. Roddick was always very consistent but consistency won't beat Federer. You have to hit a lot of winners and Roddick never went for the clutch shots. IMO, he played it way to safe, always. Too bad, I followed Roddick and his game for years. Some great wins but very frustrating overall. IMO, he should have stayed with Brad Gilbert as his coach.

Yea, both men and women's American tennis will be on the backseat for a while. I hope Sock comes out strong. I wonder, when will an American win the French again?? Red clay is not a strong suit for us at all.
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:

Something happened to Roddick's forehand from about 2004 onwards. It became super spinny and could not penetrate through the court. Guys, especially guys like Roger Federer, would just eat it alive. It went from being a top weapon in the game to being below average. Roddick was always very consistent but consistency won't beat Federer. You have to hit a lot of winners and Roddick never went for the clutch shots. IMO, he played it way to safe, always. Too bad, I followed Roddick and his game for years. Some great wins but very frustrating overall. IMO, he should have stayed with Brad Gilbert as his coach.

Yea, both men and women's American tennis will be on the backseat for a while. I hope Sock comes out strong. I wonder, when will an American win the French again?? Red clay is not a strong suit for us at all.

An American won't win the French for a long, long time. It's just not our surface. We prefer real tennis, not mud tennis :wink: . But really, I mean yeah we play on hardcourt and emphasize serve + FH, not movement and fitness. As long as the ATP continues to keep the courts slow, the US will struggle.

You're completely right about Roddick post-2004, re: forehand. It went from a great, aggressive shot to a weak spinny pusher shot. I think the answer is that he wanted to change something since he simply couldn't beat Federer, and he bought into the notion that fitness + high % play = winning. Which was true, sort of, as evidenced by Nadal. But Nadal had superhuman fitness and most importantly was a lefty.

Incredible shame that Roddick ditched his power FH post-2004 though. And btw I think he wins W 2004 if the rain didn't come after the first set. He was on fire and dominating the court.
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 pm

RodgePodge wrote:An American won't win the French for a long, long time. It's just not our surface. We prefer real tennis, not mud tennis :wink: . But really, I mean yeah we play on hardcourt and emphasize serve + FH, not movement and fitness. As long as the ATP continues to keep the courts slow, the US will struggle.

You're completely right about Roddick post-2004, re: forehand. It went from a great, aggressive shot to a weak spinny pusher shot. I think the answer is that he wanted to change something since he simply couldn't beat Federer, and he bought into the notion that fitness + high % play = winning. Which was true, sort of, as evidenced by Nadal. But Nadal had superhuman fitness and most importantly was a lefty.

Incredible shame that Roddick ditched his power FH post-2004 though. And btw I think he wins W 2004 if the rain didn't come after the first set. He was on fire and dominating the court.

I think he wins it as well. Typical Federer though, always seems to have "Lady Luck" on his side when he needs it most. Roddick had that match almost in the bag...then came the rains and Roger got some good coaching. BTW, if you get some time, go back and watch the 2003 SF match with Fed/Roddick. Federer must have painted every line in that match with a ton of miss hits and a ton of luck. When I saw the match, I instantly thought Roddick was the better player who faced an unbelievably lucky opponent. Oh well, history shows Roger to be one of the most gifted tennis players in the history of the sport. Also, Roddick should have won it in 2009 as well. Took his foot off the gas at times. Ugh....

Still, overall, I rate Nadal is a better player. Not only was he fit, fast and lefty, he could make unreal shots time after time after time after time. That AO 2009 final was unreal and so were the epic Wimbledon matches he had with Federer. By far, one of the best tennis players I have ever seen. By the way, my wife and I ran into him on Long Island years ago when he playing a small tournament. The kind where he was running around getting his own tennis balls because they didn't ball boys/girls there. I had no idea who he was at the time.

Do you get to any tournaments around the US or abroad? Cincy is good and so is Washington DC. Indian Wells will most likely be on the radar coming up soon.

BTW, watch out for Raonic (Canada) this year. He looks pretty strong already. He might sneak into the AO finals with the way he is playing.
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:50 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:An American won't win the French for a long, long time. It's just not our surface. We prefer real tennis, not mud tennis :wink: . But really, I mean yeah we play on hardcourt and emphasize serve + FH, not movement and fitness. As long as the ATP continues to keep the courts slow, the US will struggle.

I think he wins it as well. Typical Federer though, always seems to have "Lady Luck" on his side when he needs it most. Roddick had that match almost in the bag...then came the rains and Roger got some good coaching. BTW, if you get some time, go back and watch the 2003 SF match with Fed/Roddick. Federer must have painted every line in that match with a ton of miss hits and a ton of luck. When I saw the match, I instantly thought Roddick was the better player who faced an unbelievably lucky opponent. Oh well, history shows Roger to be one of the most gifted tennis players in the history of the sport. Also, Roddick should have won it in 2009 as well. Took his foot off the gas at times. Ugh....

Still, overall, I rate Nadal is a better player. Not only was he fit, fast and lefty, he could make unreal shots time after time after time after time. That AO 2009 final was unreal and so were the epic Wimbledon matches he had with Federer. By far, one of the best tennis players I have ever seen. By the way, my wife and I ran into him on Long Island years ago when he playing a small tournament. The kind where he was running around getting his own tennis balls because they didn't ball boys/girls there. I had no idea who he was at the time.

Do you get to any tournaments around the US or abroad? Cincy is good and so is Washington DC. Indian Wells will most likely be on the radar coming up soon.

BTW, watch out for Raonic (Canada) this year. He looks pretty strong already. He might sneak into the AO finals with the way he is playing.

I would not be surprised at all if Raonic wins a slam this year. I think he is peaking this year at a new level.

I have been to the DC (Citi) Open, it was a great time. Very nice venue.

I disagree with you regarding Nadal. Federer is clearly the more talented player of the two by a huge margin. Nadal's career is only because of the slowing of the courts and the fact that he matches up so perfectly with Federer. If you were to draw up a player on paper to combat Federer, it would be Nadal. Nadal also only wins 55% of matches vs Federer normalized for all surfaces. Nadal is the clay GOAT of course, but on other surfaces it isn't so simple. But they've had so many matches on clay that the H2H is skewed. IMO Nadal has very little tennis talent and relies on his athleticism, errors by his opponent, and slow courts. I do respect his hard work and his effort level. It is also very weird how his uncle controls him, even at this age.

Of course, every thread turns into a Fed vs Nadal debate :lol:
RodgePodge

Postby Stevedore » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:02 am

I used to follow it more when Sampras was playing, knew the guy a little; cool dude, went to the same HS, he was three years younger then me. Before that, I was a Borg guy; that era with Borg, Johnny Mac, and Connors all going at it was some great tennis to watch.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Stevedore wrote:I used to follow it more when Sampras was playing, knew the guy a little; cool dude, went to the same HS, he was three years younger then me. Before that, I was a Borg guy; that era with Borg, Johnny Mac, and Connors all going at it was some great tennis to watch.

Any interesting things about Sampras you can share?
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:13 pm

RodgePodge wrote:Any interesting things about Sampras you can share?

I have been to a number of smaller tournaments and have met a lot of these guys. Some wander around the grounds between matches or play tennis and help other guys warm up. Ran straight into Federer on his way to the court,I tossed balls to Darren Cahill as he hit with Zimonjic. My wife has her picture taken with a lot of these guys as well. Justin Gimelstob, Patrick McEnroe, Brad Gilbert are around these places and are pretty accommodating.

Rodge: If you get a chance, visit these smaller tourney's. They are really worth the time and money of you are a serious fan.
Beagle

Postby Stevedore » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:46 am

RodgePodge wrote:
Stevedore wrote:I used to follow it more when Sampras was playing, knew the guy a little; cool dude, went to the same HS, he was three years younger then me. Before that, I was a Borg guy; that era with Borg, Johnny Mac, and Connors all going at it was some great tennis to watch.

He's a really good golfer, hit balls next to him at a driving range in Palos Verdes a few times. Cool guy, really laid back; his sister Stella was in my class, good player, think she coached at UCLA. Pete was never around school, always away playing tournaments; he'd come back for CIF finals and blow away some dude 6-0, 6-0 who was 3 years older then him and much taller. Pretty funny :lol:
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:54 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:Any interesting things about Sampras you can share?

I have been to a number of smaller tournaments and have met a lot of these guys. Some wander around the grounds between matches or play tennis and help other guys warm up. Ran straight into Federer on his way to the court,I tossed balls to Darren Cahill as he hit with Zimonjic. My wife has her picture taken with a lot of these guys as well. Justin Gimelstob, Patrick McEnroe, Brad Gilbert are around these places and are pretty accommodating.

Rodge: If you get a chance, visit these smaller tourney's. They are really worth the time and money of you are a serious fan.

Oh I know, I try as much as possible. Time, money, and distance are the problem :wink:

Stevedore wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:

He's a really good golfer, hit balls next to him at a driving range in Palos Verdes a few times. Cool guy, really laid back; his sister Stella was in my class, good player, think she coached at UCLA. Pete was never around school, always away playing tournaments; he'd come back for CIF finals and blow away some dude 6-0, 6-0 who was 3 years older then him and much taller. Pretty funny :lol:

Cool stuff. I was always a Pete guy, especially compared to Agassi.
RodgePodge

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13