Tennis 2015

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Tennis 2015

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:I switched to a Dunlop Muscle Weave 200G. It's small, it's heavy, but those are positives in my opinion!

Well, McEnroe did pretty well with it. I see they retooled it and brought it back. It should be a good stick. Let me know how you like it.

Yeah it is a classic that they brought back. I like it a LOT so far. Really smooth. Still working out the kinks with it but I really enjoy it.

I'm sure that any versions that pros used were heavily modded. I'd imagine that Mac had it very, very heavy.

Finally the weather has turned here!
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby Papa John » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:04 am

Just signed up for a summer tennis league which is run through a website that I found. $25 fee and you get paired up with opponents of similar ability in your region. Keeps track of standings, W/L record, and there are even playoffs. I'm ready!!
Papa John

Postby Beagle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Papa John wrote:Just signed up for a summer tennis league which is run through a website that I found. $25 fee and you get paired up with opponents of similar ability in your region. Keeps track of standings, W/L record, and there are even playoffs. I'm ready!!

Is it a USTA league? I play on a team (USTA team) that matches up against different clubs around the Austin area. 2 lines of singles, 3 lines of doubles. Winners of each division move on to sectionals for a State wide tournament.

A few months back I showed up at my club to play indoor, took my court and looked over and there was Andy Roddick and John Isner practicing. It was tough to play a match with those guys beating the ball around and all the people watching.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:29 pm

Beagle wrote:
Papa John wrote:Just signed up for a summer tennis league which is run through a website that I found. $25 fee and you get paired up with opponents of similar ability in your region. Keeps track of standings, W/L record, and there are even playoffs. I'm ready!!

Is it a USTA league? I play on a team (USTA team) that matches up against different clubs around the Austin area. 2 lines of singles, 3 lines of doubles. Winners of each division move on to sectionals for a State wide tournament.

A few months back I showed up at my club to play indoor, took my court and looked over and there was Andy Roddick and John Isner practicing. It was tough to play a match with those guys beating the ball around and all the people watching.

That is awesome! So jealous.
RodgePodge

Postby RodgePodge » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Nice! It might be the same league that I do (probably in a different city), the details sound similar.
RodgePodge

Postby Papa John » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:48 am

Beagle wrote:

That is unbelievable!

I don't believe it is a USTA league. The name of the league is Orange County Tennis League. It is set up in such a way that the two competing players can decide among themselves which playing format they would like; 2 out of 3 sets, 2 sets with a 10-point Super tiebreaker, or something called a 10-game pro set, which I am not familiar with.

As far as I know, there aren't any clubs affiliated with this league; it is a collection of individual players who registered online.

Each player is required to play at least 1 match every 15 days from June 30 until August 22.

This will be my first time playing tennis in a structured, competitive environment. I am slightly concerned because although I feel that my playing skills are much improved (I can put 100% into my serves without discretion at this point), I am not entirely well-versed in the rules. I know the basics, but as far as tiebreakers and other small things, I need to study up.

Anyway, glad to know there are some fellow tennis players on the forums!
Papa John

Postby Papa John » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 am

RodgePodge wrote:

Nice! It might be the same league that I do (probably in a different city), the details sound similar.

How long have you been in your league?

In this league, there is no designated court that hosts matches. Competing players decide on a location to play their match, but the players should be from the same area. Eventually I'd like to join a club when I get good enough though.
Papa John

Postby RodgePodge » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:40 am

Papa John wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:

In this league, there is no designated court that hosts matches. Competing players decide on a location to play their match, but the players should be from the same area. Eventually I'd like to join a club when I get good enough though.

Yeah same, we just meet up on public courts to play. I've been playing with the organization for two years, but in two different cities. They are national. I think it's called Tennis League Network but they have different names like Tennis Boston, Tennis Chicago, Tennis NYC, Tennis Milwaukee, etc
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:13 am

Papa John wrote:Anyway, glad to know there are some fellow tennis players on the forums!

Yea, without a doubt!
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Fri May 01, 2015 4:24 am

Played about 4 hours today. Amazing weather.
RodgePodge

Postby Papa John » Sat May 02, 2015 5:25 am

RodgePodge wrote:
Papa John wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:

Yeah same, we just meet up on public courts to play. I've been playing with the organization for two years, but in two different cities. They are national. I think it's called Tennis League Network but they have different names like Tennis Boston, Tennis Chicago, Tennis NYC, Tennis Milwaukee, etc

Yes, I am in one of those exact leagues. I registered as a 3.25 skill level. I don't really know where I belong at this point, not having played any matches yet.
Papa John

Postby RodgePodge » Fri May 15, 2015 4:56 am

Rain here has been nuts lately. Finally got out to play today for the first time in two weeks, just to hit around for a few hours. I thought summer was here!?
RodgePodge

Postby RodgePodge » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Wawrinka won are you kidding me!?!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

His level was insane!!! I am starting to think that Djokovic will never win RG. Maybe it's written in the stars.
RodgePodge

Postby Beagle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:03 pm

RodgePodge wrote:Rain here has been nuts lately. Finally got out to play today for the first time in two weeks, just to hit around for a few hours. I thought summer was here!?

Yea, Lake Travis rose about 30 feet in a week or so. We need the rain and it looks like great (hot) weather from here on out....at least for a long time. Even with all the rain, I was hitting 2-3 times a week.

RodgePodge wrote:Wawrinka won are you kidding me!?!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

His level was insane!!! I am starting to think that Djokovic will never win RG. Maybe it's written in the stars.

I thought he would take it pretty easily today. His game was just a off a hair and Wawrinka made some unreal shots. Not a big Wawrinka fan. He runs way too hot and cold. Watch him at Wimby, he'll be out in the 1st round.
Beagle

Postby RodgePodge » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 am

Beagle wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:Rain here has been nuts lately. Finally got out to play today for the first time in two weeks, just to hit around for a few hours. I thought summer was here!?

Yea, Lake Travis rose about 30 feet in a week or so. We need the rain and it looks like great (hot) weather from here on out....at least for a long time. Even with all the rain, I was hitting 2-3 times a week.

RodgePodge wrote:Wawrinka won are you kidding me!?!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought he would take it pretty easily today. His game was just a off a hair and Wawrinka made some unreal shots. Not a big Wawrinka fan. He runs way too hot and cold. Watch him at Wimby, he'll be out in the 1st round.

Yeah he is extremely inconsistent but when he is on, he is incredible. Djokovic played way too passive and Wawrinka just dominated off both wings.

You'd think that Wawrinka would be good on grass (1HBH, good at net) but his strokes are pretty long and not compact, and his slice is poor, so I definitely would not be surprised to see him go out in the first round.
RodgePodge

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13