This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Postby BF004 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Hillary, Biden, Ben Carson, Ryan, Walker, Cruz, Jeb, Rand, Christie, thoughts?

Rand Paul is probably my favorite of the lot. Walker and Ben Carson have nice appeals as a little less of your usual establishment candidate.
BF004

Re: 2016

Postby flapackfan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Love to see Dr. Ben Carson as president. Somebody who has a track record of succeeding throughout life, without politics. Public service is suppose to be a service not a profession.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:22 pm

flapackfan wrote:Love to see Dr. Ben Carson as president. Somebody who has a track record of succeeding throughout life, without politics. Public service is suppose to be a service not a profession.

I like him but he is another "compassionate convservative" - he supports amnesty.
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby BF004 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm torn on amnesty, we do have laws in place that are being broken. At the same time, with our dependency problems we have in the country and laziness of willing to take control of one's own life to better themselves, isn't someone who risks everything, leaves family and friends for the hope of improving his/her life or that of their family the attitude we'd like to reward and celebrate?

I don't think I'd hesitate to break the law to improve my own standing unless I thought it was immoral or unethical or at the expense of others.

Also, there was a time, George Washington and other founding fathers were breaking the law for what was right. :8)
BF004

Postby texas » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:47 am

Walker, Cruz, Paul, Perry, Carson in no particular order.

Carson is an unknown so I'd rather stay away. He really ought to have run for Michigan senator so we could see some sort of track record.

Perry is a moron. He graduated with a 2.2 from A&M. But he is a successful moron. He knows what he needs to know to run a successful ship. He is also smarter than Obama.

Cruz I very much like. If there is any downside, it's that he plays into Democrats' hands. However, if you look at some of his so-called failed gambits, how did they end up working out? The GOP has its largest majority since 1920, so I think he did just fine.

Paul I also like very much. Whereas Cruz is solid vanilla and has no negatives, Paul has a lot of wacky positives. I think right now he is my #1 choice and I may see if I can finagle a way onto his campaign team. I do wonder how much of him is genuine vs how much is polished for political purposes.

Walker is my dark horse to win the whole thing. He never sways from the conservative course, and he is very right. He never rocks the boat by doing something unexpected. Rather, he makes the proper decisions time and time again. The establishment likes him, the conservatives like him, the left hates him. Sounds like a good guy to me.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby APB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 pm

BF004 wrote:I'm torn on amnesty, we do have laws in place that are being broken. At the same time, with our dependency problems we have in the country and laziness of willing to take control of one's own life to better themselves, isn't someone who risks everything, leaves family and friends for the hope of improving his/her life or that of their family the attitude we'd like to reward and celebrate?

I don't think I'd hesitate to break the law to improve my own standing unless I thought it was immoral or unethical or at the expense of others.

Also, there was a time, George Washington and other founding fathers were breaking the law for what was right. :8)

I'm in nearly the same boat. I'm not in favor of amnesty, but it's something I'm willing to concede if it means we can finally secure the border and move on to actual entitlement reform.
APB

Postby Acrobat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Scott Walker all the way baby! This is his time!
"I must be an Acrobat, to talk like this, and act like that."
Acrobat

Postby GreenDay » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:02 pm

I like this Scott Walker fellow. I like that he's withstood the toughest of political hack jobs, yet remained constant in his views and beliefs. He's the one guy in the race who can appeal to the tea party types and establishment Repubs all at the same time. And appeal to the general electorate as a guy who gets things done, who gets positive results. If you look at the Wisconsin races (and probably a lot of you guys would know better than me, because I'm from out of state), Walker fought well and ran pretty clean, positive races without demonizing the opposition. He's pretty savvy too - unlike Kasich in Ohio, who went after all public sector unions, including police and firefighters, and eventually lost after an embarrassing referendum, Walker was smart enough to know he had to keep some allies in the fight. Just a confident guy, comfortable in his own skin, actually believes in what he says. He should have broad appeal. I hope he doesn't choose a neocon type for his foreign policy advice.
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
GreenDay

Postby Willink » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:50 pm

I don't really like any of them all too much. Would probably settle and vote for Paul or Cruz depending on the sort of policy message they settled on, failing too much excitement there would vote libertarian again.

On the question of amnesty, I don't think it's so much the problem of coming to the US illegally (free movement of persons and whatnot, I'd want to come here too), but extending benefits to illegals when we can't even fund them for our own citizens. The welfare state is, as Peter Schiff put it, a magnet for illegal immigration. If you are going to come here to work and be productive I don't care how you do it.
Willink

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:50 pm

APB wrote:
BF004 wrote:I'm torn on amnesty, we do have laws in place that are being broken. At the same time, with our dependency problems we have in the country and laziness of willing to take control of one's own life to better themselves, isn't someone who risks everything, leaves family and friends for the hope of improving his/her life or that of their family the attitude we'd like to reward and celebrate?

I'm in nearly the same boat. I'm not in favor of amnesty, but it's something I'm willing to concede if it means we can finally secure the border and move on to actual entitlement reform.

You mean like the deal that Reagan cut in the 80s? Where the Democrats lied and broke their side of the bargain?

You cannot negotiate in good faith with Democrats on such issues. They have no interest in securing the border. They want it as open as possible. How else are they gonna turn Texas blue? And the reason why Republicans also can't get anything done is because big business likes cheap labor.

And I don't really care if the people coming here want to work hard or not. They are violating the law. They have no respect for our borders. They aren't Americans. They bring crime, disease, etc.
RodgePodge

Postby APB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 pm

RodgePodge wrote:
APB wrote:

You mean like the deal that Reagan cut in the 80s? Where the Democrats lied and broke their side of the bargain?

You cannot negotiate in good faith with Democrats on such issues. They have no interest in securing the border. They want it as open as possible. How else are they gonna turn Texas blue? And the reason why Republicans also can't get anything done is because big business likes cheap labor.

And I don't really care if the people coming here want to work hard or not. They are violating the law. They have no respect for our borders. They aren't Americans. They bring crime, disease, etc.

The 80s? Seriously? We're holding onto perceived political transgressions committed in the 80s as excuses to not negotiate in 2015?? No wonder nothing ever gets done.

Edit: I looked into your charge that the Dem's reneged on a deal they purportedly reached with Reagan. I found this. And this. I assume this is the deal you're referencing?
APB

Postby raptorman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:05 am

APB wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:You mean like the deal that Reagan cut in the 80s? Where the Democrats lied and broke their side of the bargain?

The 80s? Seriously? We're holding onto perceived political transgressions committed in the 80s as excuses to not negotiate in 2015?? No wonder nothing ever gets done.
Part of the Deal with amnesty in the 1980's was to secure the border and build a fence. People wonder why they don't pass something today to do just that. Well, they don't have to, it was passed in the 1980's. All they have to do is pass a bill to pay for it. This goes to both sides. They have both had the time to get it done.
Since 1994, the QB sacked by Vikings more than any other QB in the league. Aaron Rodgers.
raptorman

Postby texas » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:37 am

RodgePodge wrote:How else are they gonna turn Texas blue?

Side note because I feel like talking $#!! on a Tuesday night. It was probably the best I've ever felt in politics after Wendy Davis got so thoroughly trounced in November. That lady was about as evil as they come for a politician, and she couldn't even win the women's vote, it was that bad. Abbott took 44% of the hispanic vote, that's how miserably battleground Texas failed those sons of bitches. They tried every trick in the book to cheat, lie, and steal, and we fought em off, dealing them a worse defeat than if they had never showed up in the first place.

They had said this going into the election and I didn't believe it, but Texas Mexicans are different. They are way more conservative than Mexicans from other states. Baby murder seemed to put them off as opposed to turn them into blue voters, much to the chagrin of those #$%!. I just don't understand how such a bitch that made her only platform the "war on women" couldn't even win women.

I was nervous about them turning Texas blue, but not so much now. Maybe with the right turn of events. But even then, Texas' big races are in an non-presidential years, so good luck getting the typical low-information $#!! to turn out for that.

Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby RodgePodge » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:52 pm

texas wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:How else are they gonna turn Texas blue?

Side note because I feel like talking $#!! on a Tuesday night. It was probably the best I've ever felt in politics after Wendy Davis got so thoroughly trounced in November. That lady was about as evil as they come for a politician, and she couldn't even win the women's vote, it was that bad. Abbott took 44% of the hispanic vote, that's how miserably battleground Texas failed those sons of bitches. They tried every trick in the book to cheat, lie, and steal, and we fought em off, dealing them a worse defeat than if they had never showed up in the first place.

They had said this going into the election and I didn't believe it, but Texas Mexicans are different. They are way more conservative than Mexicans from other states. Baby murder seemed to put them off as opposed to turn them into blue voters, much to the chagrin of those #$%!. I just don't understand how such a bitch that made her only platform the "war on women" couldn't even win women.

I was nervous about them turning Texas blue, but not so much now. Maybe with the right turn of events. But even then, Texas' big races are in an non-presidential years, so good luck getting the typical low-information $#!! to turn out for that.

Amen. Wendy Davis makes me sick to my stomach. She really is pond scum, and it's so obvious.

But in Austin, from the young people, they were so convinced that she was going to win...and they were crushed :lol: :lol: :lol:
RodgePodge

Postby BF004 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Watched the Ben Carson documentary/movie, Gitfed Hands. Very cool movie, definitely makes you gain some respect for Bennie.

I would still love him in there as well.
BF004

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13