This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: 2016

Postby HeavyD » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:55 pm

RodgePodge wrote:
Acrobat wrote:I just pray that Scott Walker wins it all. He's probably the smartest politician I've ever seen on TV. I love how he's cut from the education system in Wisconsin as well. I think that was a bold move, but it'll work in the end. Scott Walker himself has proved that you don't need education to be successful in life.

No matter what happens from here on out, what Scott accomplished in Wisconsin is incredible and he is a legend.

A few years ago, Walker started tweeting results of surveys that showed a huge improvement in Wisconsin business climate. Reforms need time to marinate to create fruit.

Today...MKE is experiencing what some would call a development boom. There is about $4 billion in new developments. Northwest Mutual just announced they are building a 30 story apartment building next to their new HQ tower. Yesterday, a commercial building listed at $12.7 million sold to a developer for above asking price.

I am operations manager for a church in downtown MKE. I real estate company is practically begging us to sell him the building.

I have zero doubt this has everything to do with Act 10, yet Democrats in MKE still hate Walker and worse, they have in 5 years not offered a solution to the problems of the time or today.
HeavyD

Postby Pckfn23 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Please explain how any of that has to do with Act 10.

Obviously Walker is pro-corporation, thus a high pro-business climate rating. Problem is the state is still in the bottom third as far as job creation, 35th from 2010 to 2014. His pandering to corporations has not paid dividends and we are going on 4 years now.

2011-2012 Consumption Spending Change, 4th from the bottom. http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regiona ... ce0814.pdf

Do you have any hard evidence that ACT 10 has improved the economy in Wisconsin? Anecdote's are not hard evidence.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Well Scooter took office on Jan 3, 2011. WI had an unemployment rate of 8.0% whereas the national rate was 9.2%. Also found population growth from WI April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014 was 1.3% annually versus 3.3% nationally.

Why should Wisconsin's % change in job's be compared to the national rate given a huge national advantage for this one specific (meaningless by itself) statistic?

The rate of unemployment 4.5% in WI now and 5.1% national.

Too me it seems like Wisconsin has been right on par vs. national for the most part, 4.5% and around that is a very healthy, sustainable, rate. Don't think it's doing a whole lot better or worse than your average state.

Frankly I think everyone gives politicians way to much credit on what they can actually impact on a local level. Economy in WI is more impacted by oil prices from Saudi Arabia than it is by our governor especially with ever growing national meddling in local affairs.
BF004

Postby wallyuwl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 am

BF004 wrote:Well Scooter took office on Jan 3, 2011. WI had an unemployment rate of 8.0% whereas the national rate was 9.2%. Also found population growth from WI April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014 was 1.3% annually versus 3.3% nationally....

I didn't look up to verify the stats, but if true the part I quoted (especially the population) is a very compelling argument against the talking point the Democrats have used for years now that WI job growth sucks compared to the rest of the midwest and nation.
wallyuwl

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:38 am

wallyuwl wrote:
BF004 wrote:Well Scooter took office on Jan 3, 2011. WI had an unemployment rate of 8.0% whereas the national rate was 9.2%. Also found population growth from WI April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014 was 1.3% annually versus 3.3% nationally....

I didn't look up to verify the stats, but if true the part I quoted (especially the population) is a very compelling argument against the talking point the Democrats have used for years now that WI job growth sucks compared to the rest of the midwest and nation.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/55000.html

I wrote 1.3%, although looking at it again, its 1.2%.
BF004

Postby Waldo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm

HeavyD wrote:Today...MKE is experiencing what some would call a development boom. There is about $4 billion in new developments. Northwest Mutual just announced they are building a 30 story apartment building next to their new HQ tower. Yesterday, a commercial building listed at $12.7 million sold to a developer for above asking price.

I am operations manager for a church in downtown MKE. I real estate company is practically begging us to sell him the building.

Yo this is a city thing, the result of a massive long term shift; nowadays the burbs suck and living in the city is cool. And rural areas have become (a lot) scarier for many than urban ghettos.

Urban real estate is hot everywhere.

If you want to buy a house in the hot areas of Atlanta (N of I20, inside the perimeter), expect all houses to be hilariously overpriced, or a rapid bidding war for those that aren't. There are 10 buyers for every listing, at least.
Waldo

Postby GeMatt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 pm

HeavyD wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:
Acrobat wrote:I just pray that Scott Walker wins it all. He's probably the smartest politician I've ever seen on TV. I love how he's cut from the education system in Wisconsin as well. I think that was a bold move, but it'll work in the end. Scott Walker himself has proved that you don't need education to be successful in life.

No matter what happens from here on out, what Scott accomplished in Wisconsin is incredible and he is a legend.

A few years ago, Walker started tweeting results of surveys that showed a huge improvement in Wisconsin business climate. Reforms need time to marinate to create fruit.

Today...MKE is experiencing what some would call a development boom. There is about $4 billion in new developments. Northwest Mutual just announced they are building a 30 story apartment building next to their new HQ tower. Yesterday, a commercial building listed at $12.7 million sold to a developer for above asking price.

I have zero doubt this has everything to do with Act 10, yet Democrats in MKE still hate Walker and worse, they have in 5 years not offered a solution to the problems of the time or today.

So where are those 250,000 jobs he promised?
GeMatt

Postby Madtown » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:42 am

Waldo wrote:
HeavyD wrote:Today...MKE is experiencing what some would call a development boom. There is about $4 billion in new developments. Northwest Mutual just announced they are building a 30 story apartment building next to their new HQ tower. Yesterday, a commercial building listed at $12.7 million sold to a developer for above asking price.

Yo this is a city thing, the result of a massive long term shift; nowadays the burbs suck and living in the city is cool. And rural areas have become (a lot) scarier for many than urban ghettos.

Urban real estate is hot everywhere.

If you want to buy a house in the hot areas of Atlanta (N of I20, inside the perimeter), expect all houses to be hilariously overpriced, or a rapid bidding war for those that aren't. There are 10 buyers for every listing, at least.

While I agree that this is a thing and probably lean with Waldo politically, I do think that it's pretty hypocritical of republicans to take any credit in Walker being responsible for Milwaukee growth. All I heard in Barret vs Walker was how Milwaukee County was better than Milwaukee. Now that MKE is experiencing a "boom" it's because of Walker? Despite the state performance over the other states? And Madison losing Oscar Mayer?
Madtown

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13