'Murica, 2025

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: 'Murica, 2025

Postby GreenDay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 pm

1) Autodrive for sure. Especially as today's social media folk get into power - they will make auto drive cars the law (think 'Red Barchetta'). Very few will drive when they can be playing games, working etc.
2) People going Matrix. Already many spend 12 or more hours a day on social media/gaming. As the tech gets better, and as food and power get cheaper, many will literally go in the tank and become Matrix-like zombies, living in virtual reality/fantasy. Maybe 20% in 10 years, up to 85% in 50 years, as computer generated sensations get grafted right into the neural cortex.
YoHoChecko wrote: Anyone who can't understand this doesn't deserve the platform that literacy has granted them.
GreenDay

Postby dsr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 am

GreenDay wrote:1) Autodrive for sure. Especially as today's social media folk get into power - they will make auto drive cars the law (think 'Red Barchetta'). Very few will drive when they can be playing games, working etc.

I doubt that. So many people enjoy driving.

Robert Heinlein made predictions in 1950 for the year 2000. They were ridiculously wrong. By the year 2000:

1. Interplanetary travel available to anyone who has the money - and it will be cheap.
2. All 1950's houses will have become obsolete due to new technology.
3. Universal food shortages, too many people and not enough land.
4. No cancer, no colds, no tooth decay.
5. Spaceships being built (not yet operational) to reach the nearest star. The planets have all been visited.
6. Mobile phones small enough to fit in a handbag, and home phones that take messages and transmit vision.
7. Intelligent life found on Mars.
8. Travel at 1,000 mph costing 1 cent per mile.
9. All aircraft will be pilotless.
10. Beef will be a luxury, lamb and mutton unobtainable.

He also had some political predictions, including the abolition of state lines within the USA, the end of communism worldwide, and the utter impossibility of the USA starting a war unless directly attacked.

Well, hit and miss, but an awful lot of miss. Mobile phones and the end of communism were basically all he got right.

The point being, that we haven't a clue. And even the experts haven't a clue. Stuff like what BF004 was saying, about turning on your coffee pot by voice control when you get up - why? Technology has been around for years to set a timer on your coffee pot/alarm clock, and yet people don't use it. It isn't worth the fuss. Turning on a coffee pot is easy. And ever since the Spectrum 48K home computer came out, they were talking about using it for recipes - and yet a book remains the most practical storage medium.

PS - solar heating won't do for the UK. We don't get enough sun, being much further north than you, and have a lot more people per square mile. England is smaller than Wisconsin and has 50m population. Please will you export some of yours, the excess from California and Arizona that you don't need? Or do we have to rely on Norwegian hydro-electric?
dsr

Postby Waldo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 am

dsr wrote:
GreenDay wrote:1) Autodrive for sure. Especially as today's social media folk get into power - they will make auto drive cars the law (think 'Red Barchetta'). Very few will drive when they can be playing games, working etc.

I doubt that. So many people enjoy driving.

Robert Heinlein made predictions in 1950 for the year 2000. They were ridiculously wrong. By the year 2000:

1. Interplanetary travel available to anyone who has the money - and it will be cheap.
2. All 1950's houses will have become obsolete due to new technology.
3. Universal food shortages, too many people and not enough land.
4. No cancer, no colds, no tooth decay.
5. Spaceships being built (not yet operational) to reach the nearest star. The planets have all been visited.
6. Mobile phones small enough to fit in a handbag, and home phones that take messages and transmit vision.
7. Intelligent life found on Mars.
8. Travel at 1,000 mph costing 1 cent per mile.
9. All aircraft will be pilotless.
10. Beef will be a luxury, lamb and mutton unobtainable.

He also had some political predictions, including the abolition of state lines within the USA, the end of communism worldwide, and the utter impossibility of the USA starting a war unless directly attacked.

Well, hit and miss, but an awful lot of miss. Mobile phones and the end of communism were basically all he got right.

The point being, that we haven't a clue. And even the experts haven't a clue. Stuff like what BF004 was saying, about turning on your coffee pot by voice control when you get up - why? Technology has been around for years to set a timer on your coffee pot/alarm clock, and yet people don't use it. It isn't worth the fuss. Turning on a coffee pot is easy. And ever since the Spectrum 48K home computer came out, they were talking about using it for recipes - and yet a book remains the most practical storage medium.

PS - solar heating won't do for the UK. We don't get enough sun, being much further north than you, and have a lot more people per square mile. England is smaller than Wisconsin and has 50m population. Please will you export some of yours, the excess from California and Arizona that you don't need? Or do we have to rely on Norwegian hydro-electric?

Well, there is a difference between 10 years and 50 years. For 10 years from now, the technology really already has to be there today, just a refinement of what we already have. Rare is a technology that can go from infancy to major impact in 10 years.

Interestingly enough, a new type of solar cell was just invented in England that is actually more effective on cloudy days than sunny ones, and its moldable.

Self driving vehicles will come eventually. Its more efficient and safer. Roadway traffic would decrease dramatically. But I bet there would be self drive zones, especially outside of cities, or at least the option, because as you said, people like driving. However it would have to overcome the simultaneous adoption problem, which is a tough nut to crack, much like HD television and GPS air navigation faced and still face.
Waldo

Postby wallyuwl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:15 am

Waldo wrote:"What is most likely the optimal protein intake for an athlete to grow muscle?" There is so much research and data out there on the subject, and a million different opinions, yet all of human experience on the subject could be quite literally crunched into a single number representing the highest probability point; right now one can't even identify the actual scientific consensus, it depends on who you ask.

The general scientific consensus ("textbook answer") is currently 1.8-2.0 grams/kg of lean body mass. Newer research and philosophies suggest closer to 2.5. The decades-old bodybuilding recommendation is one gram per pound, which equals 2.2 g/kg. Recommendations suggesting on the lower end are based on nitrogen balance studies (positive nitrogen balance theoretically means your body is using all the protein plus a little left over), but the validity of those methods being an accurate measure of what is necessary for muscle growth are being challenged. Science seems to be catching up to the old bodybuilding recommendation. The timing of when it is ingested and type of protein ("fast" vs. "slow" digesting) also seem to matter quite a lot.
wallyuwl

Postby APB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Solar freakin' roadways...?

Edit - thanks, BF004, for the re-link to the vid. Didn't notice my link was bad.
APB

Postby BF004 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 pm

BF004

Postby Criticuria » Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm

BF004 wrote:http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22885#p449913

yay future! :)
Is life as boring as you are?
Criticuria

Postby raptorman » Mon May 18, 2015 5:18 pm

BF004 wrote:http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22885#p449913

Moose is going WTF? Someone pee on the road?
If a 7 course meal includes a Brat and a 6 pack, you might be from Wisconsin.
raptorman

Postby Cdragon » Mon May 18, 2015 5:20 pm

Nanotech will be able to enter a body and remove a specific pathogen/virus. Once the Nano-truck has picked up the virus it exits the body in the urine stream. Some agency will attempt to decrease the surplus population by targeting groups and having nanobots remove a small but vital piece of human anatomy from them. Due to a programming error the Zombie apocalypse starts. Using Solar power hooked up to Graphene Super Capacitors I can get the equivalent of Hoover Dam into a space the size of a 20 round rifle magazine. With my Colt-GE Laze-em-up 430 Rifle I can get through the swarms of what used to be humanity by burning a hole through their heads from miles away, and get down to the bar for kick off.
Cdragon

Postby yoop » Mon May 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Cdragon wrote:Nanotech will be able to enter a body and remove a specific pathogen/virus. Once the Nano-truck has picked up the virus it exits the body in the urine stream. Some agency will attempt to decrease the surplus population by targeting groups and having nanobots remove a small but vital piece of human anatomy from them. Due to a programming error the Zombie apocalypse starts. Using Solar power hooked up to Graphene Super Capacitors I can get the equivalent of Hoover Dam into a space the size of a 20 round rifle magazine. With my Colt-GE Laze-em-up 430 Rifle I can get through the swarms of what used to be humanity by burning a hole through their heads from miles away, and get down to the bar for kick off.

I could have used one of those 430 colts this morning on a group of what looked to be deranged senior citizens glogging up the line at dunky donuts, I felt a little more lienent towards them after having my first cup of coffee :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby raptorman » Mon May 18, 2015 6:55 pm

yoop wrote:
Cdragon wrote:Nanotech will be able to enter a body and remove a specific pathogen/virus. Once the Nano-truck has picked up the virus it exits the body in the urine stream. Some agency will attempt to decrease the surplus population by targeting groups and having nanobots remove a small but vital piece of human anatomy from them. Due to a programming error the Zombie apocalypse starts. Using Solar power hooked up to Graphene Super Capacitors I can get the equivalent of Hoover Dam into a space the size of a 20 round rifle magazine. With my Colt-GE Laze-em-up 430 Rifle I can get through the swarms of what used to be humanity by burning a hole through their heads from miles away, and get down to the bar for kick off.

I could have used one of those 430 colts this morning on a group of what looked to be deranged senior citizens glogging up the line at dunky donuts, I felt a little more lienent towards them after having my first cup of coffee :lol:

Wait, I thought I saw you in the middle of that group.

The only problem with the 430 is it leaves a body. Now the Ruger 567 disintegrates the whole body so all that is left is dust. Much easy to walk on.
raptorman

Postby Cdragon » Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm

raptorman wrote:
yoop wrote:

The only problem with the 430 is it leaves a body. Now the Ruger 567 disintegrates the whole body so all that is left is dust. Much easy to walk on.

But then you have air quality problems and a lung full of zombie dust is too big of a trip for most people.

Oh and the Laz-em-up has the bottle opener in the stock.
Cdragon

Postby raptorman » Tue May 19, 2015 3:36 am

Cdragon wrote:
raptorman wrote:
yoop wrote:

But then you have air quality problems and a lung full of zombie dust is too big of a trip for most people.

Oh and the Laz-em-up has the bottle opener in the stock.

Opener not even an option on the Ruger. Damn. I have to carry my own.
raptorman

Postby get louder at lambeau » Thu May 28, 2015 5:27 pm

dsr wrote:Stuff like what BF004 was saying, about turning on your coffee pot by voice control when you get up - why? Technology has been around for years to set a timer on your coffee pot/alarm clock, and yet people don't use it. It isn't worth the fuss. Turning on a coffee pot is easy.

Yup. The "internet of things" is VERY overrated, IMO. Home automation isn't new. It just hasn't caught on yet because it isn't that useful. I install alarm systems. I can install a system today that can allow you to use your smartphone to arm/disarm your alarm, adjust your thermostat, unlock your door, turn on/off whatever lights and appliances, and probably about whatever else you can think of. If you want to pay for it. But why would you?

I don't bother to sell it. All bells and whistles with very little actual utility. And it creates a security hole that allows hackers, whether tech-enabled criminals or corrupt governments, yet another way to intrude into your life. The technology is there, but there is no real reason that you need it. Just another useless toy to buy, like much of our recent technology. You generally don't need to change your thermostat remotely. Just install a basic $30 programmable thermostat from Home Depot and you are fine. You generally don't need to remotely control your appliances either. And you can open your door just fine with a key. No need to have a battery to replace and electronics to maintain in your door, just to enable remote control of the lock. Card/code/fob/phone access control is not new, you just don't need it.
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby get louder at lambeau » Thu May 28, 2015 5:51 pm

I agree with Waldo about increasingly cost-effective solar being about the most exciting thing on the horizon. Many of solar's problems are solvable, and it is getting financially competitive fairly rapidly.

The main issue with solar is that it the sun isn't always out, but electricity demand peaks when it's hot and sunny out. That's when blackouts happen, with all the air conditioners running simultaneously over a large area. Solar matches up with that peak demand beautifully. At night, when our solar panels are dormant, so are we, for the most part, conveniently enough. Solar may not take over the far northern lattitudes, but it should be able to become the dominant form of electical generation for most of the world's population fairly soon.

Deutsche Bank claims that solar will reach grid parity prices for 80% of the world's population within two years.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2015/solar-g ... world-2017
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13