'Murica, 2025

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: 'Murica, 2025

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:40 pm

xDD80x wrote:Reality is people are happier when they have it better than their peers.

If I make 45K and all my coworkers make 30, I'm king $#!!. I make 50K and the coworkers make 75K, im slighted. I had a professor who dedicated a huge part of his life to studying this and it seems to apply to individuals and groups.

Could have saved himself the trouble and just stayed home with the kids and learned the same thing! Kids don't care whether I do or do not let them have a piece of bacon when I'm frying it and they've already eaten. If I give one kid the slice of bacon everyone else demands one for reasons of equality... Adults are no different really, it's just on a different level and they've learned to phrase it differently.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:41 pm

wallyuwl wrote:I'd take a 1980 lifestyle and more money than today's lifestyle and less money. Technology does not equal happiness or even quality of life. The world is a lot different, and IMO worse, place now than in 1980. Well, lets say 1985, 1980 was the end of the Carter years and by '85 inflation and interest rates were both down to normal levels again.

Not only no, but hell no!
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Here's a new invention that could be big in 10 years -
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor- ... 24733.html
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Waldo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Eh, I don't know about that. Needing line of sight to your router at all times it a bit of a problem. Sure it could work for some applications, but that is just too much of an inconvenience.

The whole article missed one fundamental point. A radio transmitter IS a lightbulb, it just produces different frequencies than a standard lightbulb and those different frequencies cause the waves to propagate differently and materials to behave differently (all materials are either reflectors, absorbers, or transparent, which they are depends on the frequency of the wave). Radio waves are photon waves, same as visible light, just a different part of the EM spectrum. Wave propagation speed is exactly the same (=c) and the theoretical data bandwidth capacity is essentially the same (approaching infinite).

If piggybacking is such a problem (really? what is this, 2001?), make use of reflectors or absorbents, especially during home construction.

WiFI could be made MUCH faster. It is a really stupid design that is very inefficient (a bunch of people in a room shouting into bullhorns, loudest wins) that wastes a ton of bandwidth because it can't be "heard" through the noise (given that bandwidth is theoretically near infinite though, who cares), however this design solves the invisible device problem (each device can only hear the routers bullhorn, and has no idea if someone else is yelling into a bullhorn too).

The cell system is conceptually similar to WiFi (transmit data over radio), however a much smarter design, volume is modulated to that everyone can be "heard", the cell tower "knows" who all the devices are, there are no invisible devices, the cell system solves the invisible device problem saying "hello" to everyone and controlling when everyone a gets a turn to "talk". Again, because of the theoretical near infinite data bandwidth, this is invisible.

There is a reason your phone's WiFi transmitter uses WAY more power than your cell transmitter. If you are away from WiFi, turning off this transmitter dramatically increases battery life.

Humans will figure out a way to dramatically increase our usable bandwidth for both. Radio waves propagate at the speed of light. The data carrying capacity of a wave traveling that fast is virturally infinite. Imagine how much (uncompressed, analog...) music you could cram on a record if it instead of spinning at 33 rpm, it spun at 299,792,458 rpm. Pretty much all music ever made would fit on one side.
Last edited by Waldo on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Waldo

Postby Pckfn23 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:03 pm

get louder at lambeau wrote:Here's a new invention that could be big in 10 years -
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/inventor- ... 24733.html

So would the light then have to be connected to the internet through conventional means? Doesn't seem like a 2-way connection. Seems like there is only download and you would get only what the light is transmitting.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13