Meet Obamatrade - The Trans-Pacific Partnership

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Meet Obamatrade - The Trans-Pacific Partnership

Postby get louder at lambeau » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Meet the "TTP" AKA "The Trans-Pacific Partnership" AKA Obamatrade. A secret trade deal that Obama is pushing for, which the worthless Republicans are also in on. Another secretive "gotta pass it to find out what's in it" travesty of Governance.

Critics say it's a jobkiller, like NAFTA on steroids, and is a real threat to the sovereignty of countries. It is being written by corporations, and you can't read it. Only Congress can, and they can only do that in a special room. Because transparency.

get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Re: Meet Obamatrade - The Trans-Pacific Partnership

Postby Beagle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Secret? LOL It's all over the news and it was rejected by all parties (Republicans and Democrats alike) and is going nowhere. In fact, this failed proposal by Obama could very well define his legacy as POTUS.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/16/politics/ ... index.html

Here is the latest:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/politics/ ... index.html
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby get louder at lambeau » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Beagle wrote:Secret? LOL

Silly me to call a document that is kept in a special secured room in the basement of the Capitol, that no one but congress and pre-selected corporate leaders can read, and then only under a strict confidentiality agreement, "secret". ROFL! LOLOL

Obviously I am just being paranoid to not trust our wonderful, incorruptible politicians and the corporations that bribe them, er, I mean legitimately finance their political campaigns, to negotiate this deal for us in confidential, closed-door negotiations. It's not like they would ever do anything shady. They always have common Americans at heart, and surely they would never, ever put their own political, personal, or corporate interests ahead of those of the country as a whole.

Wikileaks managed to get ahold of some of the chapters. They are offering a $100,000 bounty for a complete text of this non-secret document. You should cash in, Beagle! Just Xerox your copy and collect the $100,000!

Here is the founder of Wikileaks talking about the TPP, straight from his political asylum in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London. - (VIDEO) http://www.democracynow.org/2015/5/27/j ... ns_pacific

And here's an article about one of the main concerns of critics, "Investor State Dispute Settlement" or ISDS -
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ttip-icsid
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby get louder at lambeau » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Beagle wrote:it was rejected by all parties (Republicans and Democrats alike) and is going nowhere. In fact, this failed proposal by Obama could very well define his legacy as POTUS.

Two days later, and the house passes Trade Promotion Authority, AKA "Fast Track". So much for a failed proposal that is going nowhere. I didn't hear anything about the Republicans rejecting this either. Maybe I missed it.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/house-vot ... ade-deals/
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Beagle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 am

get louder at lambeau wrote:Silly me to call a document that is kept in a special secured room in the basement of the Capitol, that no one but congress and pre-selected corporate leaders can read, and then only under a strict confidentiality agreement, "secret". ROFL! LOLOL

I actually had a pretty nice refute to this but after some consideration and reviewing your past political (and military) posts and links, I have decided not engage someone not open to actual debate, facts or differing viewpoints. It would be futile.

However, have fun and carry on! :8)
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 am

Beagle wrote:
get louder at lambeau wrote:Silly me to call a document that is kept in a special secured room in the basement of the Capitol, that no one but congress and pre-selected corporate leaders can read, and then only under a strict confidentiality agreement, "secret". ROFL! LOLOL

I actually had a pretty nice refute to this but after some consideration and reviewing your past political (and military) posts and links, I have decided not engage someone not open to actual debate, facts or differing viewpoints. It would be futile.

However, have fun and carry on! :8)

I'm sure you had a swell refute, Beagle. LOL
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Beagle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 am

get louder at lambeau wrote:I'm sure you had a swell refute, Beagle. LOL

Yea, with Apaches and everything. :wink:

LOL

It's all good GLAL, we are just on different sides of the fence when it comes to all of this stuff. :8)
Beagle

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Beagle wrote:
get louder at lambeau wrote:I'm sure you had a swell refute, Beagle. LOL

Yea, with Apaches and everything. :wink:

LOL

It's all good GLAL, we are just on different sides of the fence when it comes to all of this stuff. :8)

Fair enough.

I'm just concerned about this bill. I think backroom dealings like this, on something as potentially significant as THE LARGEST TRADE BILL IN WORLD HISTORY, written by multi-national corporations to benefit multi-national corporations, from corrupt politicians bought and paid for by those same corporations, could be a major, major problem. Our country (and world) is in bad straits right now, with a VERY uncertain future, due in no small part to political corruption from many of the same people who are pushing this bill.

Congress has an 8 percent approval rating. Obama is at 33%. I am not even close to being on the fringe to not trust them. Most Americans don't trust them, and for damn good reason, even though we would all LIKE to believe that we can. From outside our borders, the rest of the world thinks our Government is the biggest threat to peace that currently exists, also for damn good reason.

"Americans' confidence in most major institutions has been down for many years as the nation has dealt with prolonged wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a major recession and sluggish economic improvement, and partisan gridlock in Washington," the Gallup spokesman said. "In fact, 2004 was the last year most institutions were at or above their historical average levels of confidence. Perhaps not coincidentally, 2004 was also the last year Americans' satisfaction with the way things are going in the United States averaged better than 40 percent. Currently, 28 percent of Americans are satisfied with the state of the nation."

The Gallup spokesman added: "From a broad perspective, Americans' confidence in all institutions over the last two years has been the lowest since Gallup began systematic updates of a larger set of institutions in 1993."

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ken-wa ... everything

If you want a good rundown from a perspective similar to mine, but stated more eloquently than I am able to do, here ya go -
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ken-wa ... everything
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby raptorman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Beagle wrote:Secret? LOL It's all over the news and it was rejected by all parties (Republicans and Democrats alike) and is going nowhere. In fact, this failed proposal by Obama could very well define his legacy as POTUS.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/16/politics/ ... index.html

Here is the latest:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/politics/ ... index.html
Really, not secret? Care to find a link to the text of the trade Bill? Good luck in trying. It is on par with, "We have to pass this bill to see what's in it."
Since 1994, the QB sacked by Vikings more than any other QB in the league. Aaron Rodgers.
raptorman

Postby get louder at lambeau » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:10 pm

The terms of the TPP and the TiSA are so secret that drafts of the negotiations are to remain classified for four years or five years, respectively, after the deals have been passed into law.

Sounds legit. :messedup

This article calls the TPP (along with the other trade deals in the works) "a corporate coup d-etat".
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-2 ... track-vote
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Beagle » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:33 pm

OK, I admit it, I jumped the gun on this a bit. It is a little more secret than I previously had thought and after a little more research. I was going under the assumption that the Transparency act was being followed and that Obama was going to follow Bush's lead in regards to the Latin American trading agreement that was proposed. Bush published the text for all to read and discuss. I also was under the impression that lawmakers could take the policy back to the office and study it in depth before voting on, like any reasonable bill should be.

I am not a fan of the way they are going about this. Why is everything being kept in the dark?

http://billmoyers.com/2015/02/06/trans- ... pt-secret/

GLAL, I owe you an apology in regards to the TPP.
Beagle

Postby get louder at lambeau » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 am

Beagle wrote:OK, I admit it, I jumped the gun on this a bit. It is a little more secret than I previously had thought and after a little more research. I was going under the assumption that the Transparency act was being followed and that Obama was going to follow Bush's lead in regards to the Latin American trading agreement that was proposed. Bush published the text for all to read and discuss. I also was under the impression that lawmakers could take the policy back to the office and study it in depth before voting on, like any reasonable bill should be.

I am not a fan of the way they are going about this. Why is everything being kept in the dark?

http://billmoyers.com/2015/02/06/trans- ... pt-secret/

GLAL, I owe you an apology in regards to the TPP.

Accepted and appreciated, Beagle. Big of you. :AOK

I understand the reflex to laugh off non-mainstream, seemingly paranoid ideas. Used to do it myself, up until not too long ago. If you look into things more, you will find quite a bit more reality than you would expect to in many "conspiracy theories". It's appropriate to laugh off bigfoot sightings and alien contact stories, but theories about PEOPLE CONSPIRING IN SECRET are not at all similar to those silly ideas about non-existent monsters. People conspire to get legislation passed that favors their interests over those of the country as a whole all the time.

A large number of people are currently conspiring, in secret, to pass the LARGEST TRADE BILL IN WORLD HISTORY. We live in a world where Detroit went from having the highest per capita income in America in 1960 to a bankrupt, mostly-abandoned, crime-ridden hellhole fifty years later. Loss of high paying manufacturing jobs from trade deals like NAFTA and "Most Favored Nation" trade status for China were among the biggest reasons for its economic decline. All that industrial capacity went to other countries with dirt cheap labor and less regulations. That trend has continued, and the TPP will likely accelerate the trend. Maybe that is why they don't want us to be able to read it.

Maybe we can look back at a quote that came from one of the architects of Obamacare for a clue on why Obamatrade is being negotiated in such secrecy -

“Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage,” Gruber said. “And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass.”
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby get louder at lambeau » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 am

Republican Senator Jeff Sessions says the TPP includes, "Basically the same language used to the start the European Union." This would be a HUGE step towards the establishment of a potential World Government. This is being done, under cover of official secrecy, by our corrupt politicians and the billionaire oligarchs that bribe them into office.

Holy $#!!. :shock:

get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby yoop » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm

get louder at lambeau wrote:Republican Senator Jeff Sessions says the TPP includes, "Basically the same language used to the start the European Union." This would be a HUGE step towards the establishment of a potential World Government. This is being done, under cover of official secrecy, by our corrupt politicians and the billionaire oligarchs that bribe them into office.

Holy $#!!. :shock:

really scary times we live in, we have allowed free trade to destroy our economy, and raise China to the world dictator status we once enjoyed, a bunch of rich people became supper rich, but most became poorer, that seemed like the plan all along from the puppet masters, possibly they lost control at some point and went out of there control, greed loses in the end.

really sad situation we've left for the following generations to try and fix, if thats even possible any more, I'am ashamed of our nations leaders past and present that have stood by and allowed greed to corrupt the world economy, so much wrong has been done, with so very little done right.

now where left to find a new president, the choices are a mixed bag of Jags, not a true statesmen in the lot, and certainly not one that has the balls to stand up to the puppet masters that put them in office or make all the decisions concerning world affairs and trade agreements, it's a bleak horizon to say the least.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby flapackfan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:58 pm

really scary times we live in, we have allowed free trade to destroy our economy

Yoop, this is where I stopped reading. Nothing personal, but if you don't understand what built the greatest 200 years of human evolution there is no sense going further. The history of mankind is ugly, the have's raping and pillaging from the have not's for riches. Only the market economy has allowed the have not's to become rich by serving their fellow men/women.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13