Meet Obamatrade - The Trans-Pacific Partnership

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Meet Obamatrade - The Trans-Pacific Partnership

Postby yoop » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:36 am

I need to study this more, and probably wont understand it then, seems to me though over the years lessening trade tariffs, and opening up world trade has hurt small business, and put people out of work, with our cost of living labor can't compete on a world market, imo all this does is guareentee more imports, big Biz will get rich using over seas labor to sell there products globally, and US labor will get whats left over, which will be less, I see no benifit for the common people in this country, it seems like a sell out to me.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby raptorman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 am

APB wrote:I found this to be an informative read. Not necessarily pro or con but it does lay down a primer of sorts for those looking to glean what it's all about.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/full-dress-battle-awaits-know-tpp/

Of note in the summary section:

Opponents will (and have already) loudly claim that, if ratified, the Trans-Pacific Partnership will reduce U.S. wages, cost U.S. jobs, jeopardize lives abroad and enable predatory corporations to resemble the dinosaurs in Jurassic World. We profoundly disagree with each of these claims. According to sound econometric estimates, the benefits to America from the Trans-Pacific Partnership will outweigh the costs to dislocated workers by more than 20 to one, and there is scant evidence that expanded trade depresses wages for the vast US workforce numbering 140 million. Nor is there any substantial evidence that trade agreements will deprive sick persons abroad of essential pharmaceuticals. But those debates are script for another day.

I would like to point out one fact. Never has anything the feds done gone down like they said it would. Let's just take a look at some of the shafts we have received without lubrication.

NAFTA
OBAMACARE
MEDICARE. (Don't care what you say, the cost is way more then what was sold to the American Public)
Immigration reform, 1986

Need I go on?
If a 7 course meal includes a Brat and a 6 pack, you might be from Wisconsin.
raptorman

Postby get louder at lambeau » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 pm

The media silence continues while the USG conspires with their corporate overlords on potentially world-changing secret legislation.

At least Wikileaks is still reporting on this stuff -

get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13