Rand Paul's Flat And Fair Tax

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Rand Paul's Flat And Fair Tax

Postby HeavyD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:08 pm

yoop wrote:
APB wrote:Yoop quoting Al Jezeera in America sources in his "crusade" against Scott Walker is hee-freakin'-larious!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't even notice :lol: I'am delighted that you got a good laugh though, which honestly is more important in the grand scheme of things, we have so little control of these elections, Scott Walker, through corporate campaign financing is bound to be center stage come election time, and if elected will increase the gap of inequailty of poor to rich, will attempt to stream line public and private workers, and freeze wages, and that will affect the common man.

so Laugh now as laughter may become extinct once Walker is elected.

Come on Yoop...

Tell me how freezing tuition at UW for three years and lowering property taxes for 6 straight years is bad for the middle class. ACT 10 reforms saved thousands of public union jobs.

Explain to me why a specific industry (road building and construction) should have government regulations in place guaranteeing a specific wage? With those guarantees in place, the state spends an additional $300,000,000 per year on projects. If I want to bid on a government job in my industry, the project is awarded to the lowest priced qualified vendor, the way it ought to be.

Before you get into your "Walker is for big business" rebuttal, look at Illinois. That state has been controlled by Democrats for ever. Last week Chicago sold bonds to pay their debts. Their debt is considered "junk" by rating agencies. The interest on those bonds was nearly 6%. I own several municipal bonds issued by various state of WI entities, they all pay less than 3%. The increase in interest costs Chicago must pay comes from two places, spending cuts and tax increases.

Several years ago Illinois raised taxes on all businesses. It didn't take long for Sears Holdings and other large corporations to threaten to leave. The government caved, gave them tax breaks to stay while companies like mine (only $50,000,000 in revenue) still were saddled with the higher taxes. The net gain from the tax increase was minimal.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/news/ec ... ois_taxes/

Those are the facts, your commentary is unproven.
Last edited by HeavyD on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavyD

Postby HeavyD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 pm

BTW...

Programs driving our debt are Medicare, Medicaid and to a lesser degree Social Security.

There is zero doubt we'll go bankrupt without serious reform. There are no amount of taxation that will prevent this.

All need major reform, the other stuff mentioned in this thread are rounding errors in my opinion.
HeavyD

Postby Waldo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 pm

HeavyD wrote:BTW...

Programs driving our debt are Medicare, Medicaid and to a lesser degree Social Security.

There is zero doubt we'll go bankrupt without serious reform. There are no amount of taxation that will prevent this.

All need major reform, the other stuff mentioned in this thread are rounding errors in my opinion.

Well there are two very different issues embedded there.

The medicare/medicaid problem is simple. Pretty much everyone else has solved it. Health care has to be nationalized, it does not benefit from market forces, in fact quite the opposite, the free market makes a horrendous system. Medicare and medicaid are public entities the exist in the free market framework. Health care is terribly inefficient and expensive in the US. Medicare for all solves the problem completely.

Social Security OTOH needs to be rebalanced (taxes/retirement age/benefits) for the changing demographics. And young people need to be encouraged to screw more, because as is our population is not replacing itself, fertility has dipped below 2.1, and this is a long term problem world wide. Other countries where immigration can't prop up falling fertility, the effects have been severe (Japan/Greece), and a big wave is going to hit in the near term to a much larger number of countries (most of Europe, especially eastern Europe).

In a few hundred years, the later half of the 20th century will be noted as where the shift from a culture of population growth to one of population decline began, it really is a whole new world, the industrialized world hasn't grappled with this problem before. Culture is going to have to relearn how to support itself.
Waldo

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13