Wisconsin Says A 7 Day Work Week Is Now Legal

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Wisconsin Says A 7 Day Work Week Is Now Legal

Postby Stevedore » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 am

What's next, a 12 hour day?
Wake up, this is only the beginning; bash unions all you want, this is what goes down in right to work states.
http://www.businessinsider.com/wisconsi ... eek-2015-7
http://www.businessinsider.com/working- ... eek-2015-5
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Re: Wisconsin Says A 7 Day Work Week Is Now Legal

Postby APB » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:09 pm

From your first link:

When Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a contender for the Republican presidential nomination, approved the state's budget earlier this month, he got rid of a provision that said factory and retail employees were required to take off a full 24 hours every seven days, unless they got the state's permission to skip their day off, according to Mashable.

Employers can now request that employees work a full week, and those employees can opt in or out.

So if I'm reading this right, it's now up to the employee rather than the state government to approve whether they'll work a seventh day. Is that right?

Begging your pardon, I can see where that could benefit the employee rather than hurt him/her. If they need some extra cash, they can choose to work that additional day. Also, rather than hire additional employees, the employer has the option of working current employees (with their approval) more hours, thus saving the employer costs in hiring additional folks, allowing for higher pay/benefits for those existing employees.

Yes, I can see where an employee could feel pressured to say yes to a seventh day work request. I'm sure the law prohibits employers from invoking any retribution against employees who refuse to work that additional day, though.

I'm curious how you see this law playing out? How is this such a negative against the union and its members? I'd like to hear your broader perspective if you don't mind.
APB

Postby flapackfan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:10 pm

My good God, in this Obamaeconomy, with the lowest labor participation since the Peanut Farmer, and median wages dropping by what 6-7% since the Harvard academic took office, now we are going to complain because we have a choice of working all we want? Hard work is how to get ahead. Vince would be ashamed!
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby yoop » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:28 pm

APB wrote:From your first link:

When Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a contender for the Republican presidential nomination, approved the state's budget earlier this month, he got rid of a provision that said factory and retail employees were required to take off a full 24 hours every seven days, unless they got the state's permission to skip their day off, according to Mashable.

Employers can now request that employees work a full week, and those employees can opt in or out.

So if I'm reading this right, it's now up to the employee rather than the state government to approve whether they'll work a seventh day. Is that right?

Begging your pardon, I can see where that could benefit the employee rather than hurt him/her. If they need some extra cash, they can choose to work that additional day. Also, rather than hire additional employees, the employer has the option of working current employees (with their approval) more hours, thus saving the employer costs in hiring additional folks, allowing for higher pay/benefits for those existing employees.

Yes, I can see where an employee could feel pressured to say yes to a seventh day work request. I'm sure the law prohibits employers from invoking any retribution against employees who refuse to work that additional day, though.

I'm curious how you see this law playing out? How is this such a negative against the union and its members? I'd like to hear your broader perspective if you don't mind.

as hard as jobs are to get, this is a step in the wrong direction, instead of putting more people to work, now employers can just work the ones they have more hours eliminating the need to hire additional employees, it keeps m ore people on gov. assistance, and only helps the employer and employees who would work more hours if given the chance anyway.

It says nothing about time and a half (over time pay) for hours over 8 a day, or over 40 hours a week, which I've heard Walker claim needs to be abolished, this is a step back in time when employers didn't pay over time and worked there employees long hours, with barely a lunch break.

as a construction worker I've had to travel diff. states for work, and WI was the worst state I've had to work in, even union work in WI used tactics comparable to non union in other states, shops not paying over time, hazordous job practices, no breaks except lunch, and push, push to get the job done under time alloted, the kiss assing by job formans, General forman, and job superintendents was sickening, I bypassed jobs in WI often even though it was closer to home, to me it's always been a scab state because the union sold out the workers long ago, it's no surprise that it now has a governor that now wants to take even more workers rights away, typical of most GOP run states I guess.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby raptorman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:36 pm

OMG NO! Wisconsin is now in line with the other 49 states! I can't believe it. All the doom and gloom coming from the left. Going to force people to work 7 days a week. I doubt it.
Since 1994, the QB sacked by Vikings more than any other QB in the league. Aaron Rodgers.
raptorman

Postby Stevedore » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 pm

I see it as being bad for workers in the long run. It's a pretty HUGE assumption to think that part of any extra profit an employer makes from this new law would go back to existing employees thru increased benefits and wages. Ideally, that's what SHOULD happen, but in the real world.......Yoop mentioned a good point about overtime pay. Are you going to be paid overtime after you hit 40 hours? Highly doubtful, I wouldn't work more if I wasn't being compensated fairly, but many can't take that stance.. Also, it's naive I feel to think that employers won't exploit this and promote or give raises to those who work the most hours. Is that fair? I just see it as the employee getting exploited even more. 58% of managers in this country work more than 40 hours a week trailing only Mexico which is at 61%, pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Walker doesn't care about employee's, he's backed by corporations and wants to take away your overtime and 40 hour work week, wake up!
Last edited by Stevedore on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby Pckfn23 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Not to mention the Heath issues with working more than 50 hours a week.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby wallyuwl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:53 am

So not needing state approval for a seventh workday is a bad thing? Geese...

And if paid hourly, over 40 hours gets 1.5 times wages it is federal law. So enough with the gear mongering.
wallyuwl

Postby raptorman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm

wallyuwl wrote:So not needing state approval for a seventh workday is a bad thing? Geese...

And if paid hourly, over 40 hours gets 1.5 times wages it is federal law. So enough with the gear mongering.

No, no, no! If this had been done by the Dems it would be considered a boon to the worker that they could now take on more hours and make more money. If I remember right, WI was the only state that had this type of law. And of course in all the other 56 states employers are taking advantage of their employee's by forcing them to work 7 days a week.
Since 1994, the QB sacked by Vikings more than any other QB in the league. Aaron Rodgers.
raptorman

Postby APB » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Stevedore wrote:

I see it as being bad for workers in the long run. It's a pretty HUGE assumption to think that part of any extra profit an employer makes from this new law would go back to existing employees thru increased benefits and wages. Ideally, that's what SHOULD happen, but in the real world.......Yoop mentioned a good point about overtime pay. Are you going to be paid overtime after you hit 40 hours? Highly doubtful, I wouldn't work more if I wasn't being compensated fairly, but many can't take that stance.. Also, it's naive I feel to think that employers won't exploit this and promote or give raises to those who work the most hours. Is that fair? I just see it as the employee getting exploited even more. 58% of managers in this country work more than 40 hours a week trailing only Mexico which is at 61%, pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Walker doesn't care about employee's, he's backed by corporations and wants to take away your overtime and 40 hour work week, wake up!

Steve, you shouldn't believe the unionist rhetoric spewed by those with only the narrow "victim" mindset.

As Wally mentioned, neither Scott Walker nor any other governor is gonna take squat away when it comes to overtime pay. It's a federal law. You can read up on it here. That "good point" yoop raised is just a unionist scare tactic designed to frighten members into action. Nothing more.

Also, you'll notice from the link I provided that there is a NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) submitted to rectify the work hour inequities that white collar workers - those managers you speak of - are subjected to ref: working in excess of 40 hr work weeks. Once approved, guys like yoop will be on here once again bemoaning the fact that the "bigwig managers" are getting a raise and the poor hourly workers are once again being shafted. I guarantee it.

Secondly, I said employers would have the "option" of increasing pay/benefits for its employees with the savings they incur by not hiring additional employees for the work that could be accomplished by current employees. Some would do so, others wouldn't - but that's the prerogitive of the employer. That's their right. For you to paint it as nobody would get a raise because employers are all greedy is simply more of the same rhetoric. Business doesn't work that way.

Union folks despise Walker, I get it. But if you're gonna despise him, at least arm yourself with the facts and not rhetoric spewed by uninformed unionist crusaders.
APB

Postby flapackfan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Wow, I had no idea that there are associated health risks with work, based on how many hours performed? I guess I am lucky to be alive.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitn ... ds-n365276

Of course the reality is that the percentage of able bodied people active in the work force is at the lowest levels in the past 50 years and now 30% of America is clinically obese.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby yoop » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

APB wrote:
Stevedore wrote:

Steve, you shouldn't believe the unionist rhetoric spewed by those with only the narrow "victim" mindset.

As Wally mentioned, neither Scott Walker nor any other governor is gonna take squat away when it comes to overtime pay. It's a federal law. You can read up on it here. That "good point" yoop raised is just a unionist scare tactic designed to frighten members into action. Nothing more.

Also, you'll notice from the link I provided that there is a NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) submitted to rectify the work hour inequities that white collar workers - those managers you speak of - are subjected to ref: working in excess of 40 hr work weeks. Once approved, guys like yoop will be on here once again bemoaning the fact that the "bigwig managers" are getting a raise and the poor hourly workers are once again being shafted. I guarantee it.

Secondly, I said employers would have the "option" of increasing pay/benefits for its employees with the savings they incur by not hiring additional employees for the work that could be accomplished by current employees. Some would do so, others wouldn't - but that's the prerogitive of the employer. That's their right. For you to paint it as nobody would get a raise because employers are all greedy is simply more of the same rhetoric. Business doesn't work that way.

Union folks despise Walker, I get it. But if you're gonna despise him, at least arm yourself with the facts and not rhetoric spewed by uninformed unionist crusaders.

Steve is a union worker, just as I was, and your the guy thats uninformed Army, employers are known to skirt the rules, when have employers used the options to increase benefits? those days ended 2 decades ago for most workers, thats pure fantasy, you don't have to look hard to see second level managerial positions on salary putting in 50 to even 70 hours a week with very little added incentive, in fact thats common practice, and if they don't like it, thats to bad, there option is to quit, as to hourly paid employees employers will just rework there schedules so they don't work over 40 hours a week, it says nothing about working them over 8 hours a day with no overtime, then cutting there hours on another day so they don't qualify for over time pay.
the need in this country is to put more people to work, this change is designed not to do that, but instead to work those that have jobs harder, and with less compensation.

the wording of it makes it sound good for both the employer and employee, my time in the work place makes me doubt that completely, Walker is not the first guy to try and pull something over on the working class or bust unions, with out bargaining rights and unions who sticks up for the worker? thinking employers will is delusional thinking, lis prior, perfect compensation is a % of profit sharing, and the % of employers that would agree to that or do it now is very small.

obviously there are employers that treat there employees as fair as there able to, we are not talking about fair and just employers.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby yoop » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 pm

flapackfan wrote:Wow, I had no idea that there are associated health risks with work, based on how many hours performed? I guess I am lucky to be alive.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitn ... ds-n365276

Of course the reality is that the percentage of able bodied people active in the work force is at the lowest levels in the past 50 years and now 30% of America is clinically obese.

doesn't stuff like this depend on the job FPF, if your job is sorting tie shirts in a department store probably not, if your job is a punch press operator it is more dangerous, and studies have proven fatigue causes many work place accidents.

so now everyone out of work is not able bodied to perform work, reality is that many out of work are physically able to work, instead you want to work the employees you have longer hours so you don't have to hire another able bodied worker.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Papa John » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:38 pm

instead you want to work the employees you have longer hours so you don't have to hire another able bodied worker.

It's called supply and demand.
Papa John

Postby Stevedore » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Thinking Mr. Walker is pro worker in anyway is laughable to say the least. He took away the Wisconsin Living wage at $10 an hour and changed the language in his new budget to a minimum wage which is currently at $7.25; a $6,000 a year hit to those already on the bottom of the chain. Those are facts.

I say it again, they want you to work longer and at lesser pay, It's already happening all across America; the overtime domino will be the next to fall. I'm obviously pro union and have left leaning views on this topic, but I specifically used the word "They" because Obama and his party haven't done squat for the American worker.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13