Wisconsin Says A 7 Day Work Week Is Now Legal

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Wisconsin Says A 7 Day Work Week Is Now Legal

Postby yoop » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:12 pm

APB wrote:
Beagle wrote:Well, these rules certainly don't apply to the military! We did 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for weeks, sometimes months at a crack. In an environment that was extremely dangerous.

The sad part is that WI charged it's veterans State Taxes, even though we had about as much to do with WI as we did to any other state. We should have been exempt.

Yep. On my 15 month Iraq tour, I had a 30 day mid-tour leave at about the eight month mark. Prior to my leave I worked every day. Upon return from my leave I worked every day. This, while flying a helicopter in a desert environment combat zone.

Don't get me wrong, I chose that profession and, quite honestly, would have rather been on duty performing my job than sitting around sulking about home. Point is, this "health risk" angle is being waaaaaay overplayed IMO.

are you two serious? it has been proven beyond doubt that combat fatigue is the number one cause of PTSD, and our VA hospitols are over run with PTSD patients, those damn slackers, if they where real men like you two that shouldn't have affected them :wink:

make any arguement you want, it has also been proven that accidents increase along with the hours, people that want to argue that point are just looking to argue about something, anything, obviously less hazardous jobs have less risk, still after long hours employees have to drive home, due auto accidents count, sleep depredation has to be envolved some, I know I had a accident because I was nodding out early one morning after pulling a all nighter, I'am sure thats happened to others, it's not just the on the job hours, commuting to and from counts to.

any time a job becomes tedious ( most due as a result of increased hours) the risk of injury goes up, workers take routine tasks for granted, attention to detail is over looked, and accidents happen, studies have been done about this that confirm those points.

It is more profitable for a CO. to employ less workers and work them more hours, the cost of work place injury's is lower than the savings accrued from the former, and that is the only reason they want longer shifts, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby APB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:31 pm

yoop wrote:are you two serious? it has been proven beyond doubt that combat fatigue is the number one cause of PTSD, and our VA hospitols are over run with PTSD patients, those damn slackers, if they where real men like you two that shouldn't have affected them :wink:

make any arguement you want, it has also been proven that accidents increase along with the hours, people that want to argue that point are just looking to argue about something, anything, obviously less hazardous jobs have less risk, still after long hours employees have to drive home, due auto accidents count, sleep depredation has to be envolved some, I know I had a accident because I was nodding out early one morning after pulling a all nighter, I'am sure thats happened to others, it's not just the on the job hours, commuting to and from counts to.

any time a job becomes tedious ( most due as a result of increased hours) the risk of injury goes up, workers take routine tasks for granted, attention to detail is over looked, and accidents happen, studies have been done about this that confirm those points.

It is more profitable for a CO. to employ less workers and work them more hours, the cost of work place injury's is lower than the savings accrued from the former, and that is the only reason they want longer shifts, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Yoop, I really wish you'd stick to discussing things you actually have a clue about. Good grief.

Here is a site that may help you to understand PTSD a little better. You'll note that primary causes of PTSD are noted as traumatic events such as a combat engagement resulting in personal injury or injury/death of a friend, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or violent personal assaults like rape. Nowhere will you find a reference to long work hours or "combat fatigue" as the number one cause of PTSD.

You're also framing your argument like this law will now allow employers to force employees to pull "all-nighters" and work employees like they were in some Malaysian sweat shop. That's hardly the case. This law allows employers the flexibility to enlist current employees to fulfill increased work requirements on a 7th consecutive work day at the employees approval. All it does is delegate the approval authority from the state government down to the individual. I guess providing increased earning potential for an employee and leaving it up to the individual to decide whether or not to accept the additional hours is now a bad thing, eh?

The rest of your diatribe is basically a rant against careless workers. Those idiots will hurt themselves on the job whether it's the first hour or the 50th in the work week.
APB

Postby yoop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:27 pm

APB wrote:
yoop wrote:are you two serious? it has been proven beyond doubt that combat fatigue is the number one cause of PTSD, and our VA hospitols are over run with PTSD patients, those damn slackers, if they where real men like you two that shouldn't have affected them :wink:

Yoop, I really wish you'd stick to discussing things you actually have a clue about. Good grief.

Here is a site that may help you to understand PTSD a little better. You'll note that primary causes of PTSD are noted as traumatic events such as a combat engagement resulting in personal injury or injury/death of a friend, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or violent personal assaults like rape. Nowhere will you find a reference to long work hours or "combat fatigue" as the number one cause of PTSD.

You're also framing your argument like this law will now allow employers to force employees to pull "all-nighters" and work employees like they were in some Malaysian sweat shop. That's hardly the case. This law allows employers the flexibility to enlist current employees to fulfill increased work requirements on a 7th consecutive work day at the employees approval. All it does is delegate the approval authority from the state government down to the individual. I guess providing increased earning potential for an employee and leaving it up to the individual to decide whether or not to accept the additional hours is now a bad thing, eh?

The rest of your diatribe is basically a rant against careless workers. Those idiots will hurt themselves on the job whether it's the first hour or the 50th in the work week.

Causes

These events can be a single occurrence in a person’s lifetime or occur repeatedly, such as in the case of ongoing physical abuse or an extended or repeated tour of duty in a war zone. The severity of traumatic events and duration of exposure are critical risk factors for developing PTSD.

http://www2.nami.org/Template.cfm?Secti ... tID=123094

atients themselves may have a number of incentives to minimize their distress: to hasten discharge, to accelerate a return to the family, to avoid compromising their military career or retirement. Fears about possible impact on career prospects are based in reality; indeed, some will be judged medically unfit to return to duty. Veterans may be concerned that a diagnosis of PTSD, or even Acute Stress Disorder, in their medical record may harm their chances of future promotion, lead to a decision to not be retained, or affect type of discharge received. Some may think that the information obtained if they receive mental health treatment will be shared with their unit commanders, as is sometimes the case in the military.

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/tre ... q-vets.asp

the same reasons given by military personal for not reporting PTSD is the same reason civilian workers will not complain loudly about employers asking for more hours, complaining or not doing as there asked will have repurcushons, it's simply a toe in the door to get more for less.

and what would you know about civilian employment? you've been employed by the gov. most of your life, there is a diff. peace time military is a cush job, you and I both know that, I been there too, civilian employment is much more demanding, lis, second level management put in loads of hours already, and are far under paid for the hours they put in, this just gives management the ability to ask for more, same with regular workers, you have to turn a blind eye not to see that APB.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby APB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:58 pm

PTSD has nothing - NOTHING - to do with working long hours. You can't be freakin' serious!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
APB

Postby yoop » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 pm

APB wrote:PTSD has nothing - NOTHING - to do with working long hours. You can't be freakin' serious!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

haaaa, your ability to corralate one thought pattern to another seems disfunctional, in all probability you have PTSD and are unaware of it, or are hiding it for fear of looking like a whimp, no fear, yoop is here, send 5 dollars now in a self addressed stamped envelope for my sure fire all inclusive detailed plan for recovery :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby Beagle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:44 pm

yoop wrote:
and what would you know about civilian employment? you've been employed by the gov. most of your life, there is a diff. peace time military is a cush job, you and I both know that, I been there too, civilian employment is much more demanding, lis, second level management put in loads of hours already, and are far under paid for the hours they put in, this just gives management the ability to ask for more, same with regular workers, you have to turn a blind eye not to see that APB.

What branch were you in and what did you do in the military?

Peace time military is far from "cushy" depending on what your actual job is. If you have certain jobs in the military, even a state of war, you can be far away from the fighting.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby APB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Beagle wrote:
yoop wrote:

Peace time military is far from "cushy" depending on what your actual job is. If you have certain jobs in the military, even a state of war, you can be far away from the fighting.

Don't bother, Beagle. Yoop did a couple years in the 60s/70s so he knows all there is to know about the modern American war fighting machine. :roll:
APB

Postby Beagle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:58 pm

APB wrote:Don't bother, Beagle. Yoop did a couple years in the 60s/70s so he knows all there is to know about the modern American war fighting machine. :roll:

I shall abide! Sound advice. :8)
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby raptorman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:55 am

yoop wrote:

Just saw that. Thanks yoop, I needed a good laugh. See, now I have been on both sides of the street and I can tell you well, someones using this.

If a 7 course meal includes a Brat and a 6 pack, you might be from Wisconsin.
raptorman

Postby yoop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:49 pm

APB wrote:
Beagle wrote:
yoop wrote:

Don't bother, Beagle. Yoop did a couple years in the 60s/70s so he knows all there is to know about the modern American war fighting machine. :roll:

I did 5 years, 1965 to 70 in the Army, a tour in Nam and Korea, and had 5 diff. MOS's, Driver, mech, track mech, clerk, and MP, dispatcher was the closest I ever got to working in a motor pool, all that training for nothing, and left the military with no transferable skills, unless I wanted to drive something as a career, in Korea, I drove the provost marshal, to do that you have to be a MP, so they made me one, zero training to be a cop, in Nam I drove a ammo delivery truck, mostly I stood around for 12 months waiting to leave, what a boring job that was.

Korea was a 13 month vacation, I only drove the provost Marshal for 3 months, but it got me a 3 month gig on the pistol team when he left, I got carted around with 6 others to matches all over Korea, always was a good marksman, after that I was assigned to Repair of utility's till I went to Ft. Carson Colo. which at the time was known as acid city, drugs where rampent in those days to, there they made me a Clerk (dispatcher)

long story short, I was trained for 20 months to be a mechanic, heck I was E-5 beforeI ever landed in Viet Nam, thats about as fast as anyone ever makes rank un less you go to OCS, instead of using all that training, they make me a driver, what a waste of my talents, in essense there screw up tainted my attitude towards the military, and I admit once I got to Ft. Carson I new I wouldn't re-up again, I don't regret my time serving, just wish I could have worked at a more transferable job.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby yoop » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 pm

listen to some of these responses from over worked employees at 9-11 call operatorshttps://gma.yahoo.com/indiana- ... ries.html#

sort of reminds me of the air traffic controllers when they went on strike over to many hours at such a stressful job, seems the same here.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby APB » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:46 pm

It's no wonder you feel peace time military duty is a "cush" job - you were a #$%! driver. Real tough job there, boy oh boy. Oh, and you also pulled duty on the pistol team. Almost overlooked that. You're obviously an expert on judging labor intensity across the full spectrum of military duty.

And your link doesn't work in your last post.
APB

Postby Papa John » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:52 pm

yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Beagle wrote:
yoop wrote:

I did 5 years, 1965 to 70 in the Army, a tour in Nam and Korea, and had 5 diff. MOS's, Driver, mech, track mech, clerk, and MP, dispatcher was the closest I ever got to working in a motor pool, all that training for nothing, and left the military with no transferable skills, unless I wanted to drive something as a career, in Korea, I drove the provost marshal, to do that you have to be a MP, so they made me one, zero training to be a cop, in Nam I drove a ammo delivery truck, mostly I stood around for 12 months waiting to leave, what a boring job that was.

Korea was a 13 month vacation, I only drove the provost Marshal for 3 months, but it got me a 3 month gig on the pistol team when he left, I got carted around with 6 others to matches all over Korea, always was a good marksman, after that I was assigned to Repair of utility's till I went to Ft. Carson Colo. which at the time was known as acid city, drugs where rampent in those days to, there they made me a Clerk (dispatcher)

long story short, I was trained for 20 months to be a mechanic, heck I was E-5 beforeI ever landed in Viet Nam, thats about as fast as anyone ever makes rank un less you go to OCS, instead of using all that training, they make me a driver, what a waste of my talents, in essense there screw up tainted my attitude towards the military, and I admit once I got to Ft. Carson I new I wouldn't re-up again, I don't regret my time serving, just wish I could have worked at a more transferable job.

Good to hear you made it out of acid city alive, Yoop. :lol:
Papa John

Postby yoop » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:31 pm

APB wrote:It's no wonder you feel peace time military duty is a "cush" job - you were a #$%! driver. Real tough job there, boy oh boy. Oh, and you also pulled duty on the pistol team. Almost overlooked that. You're obviously an expert on judging labor intensity across the full spectrum of military duty.

And your link doesn't work in your last post.

try this one, it tells about how we still over work air traffic controllers 30 plus years after Ronnie forced them back to work, talk about insanity, worth a read, obviously not all occupations have these drastic results as a result of working people to many hours, it just points out the abuse more plainly.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-air- ... tics.html#
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby flapackfan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Yoop, RR didn't force them back to work, he fired them after they broke a federal mandated law against federal employees striking. A mandate, btw, that was supported by every Democratic president going back to FDR. Now, your provided link, whose story initiated from Washington DC, is based on a work schedule provided by a FEDERAL AGENCY. You know, a bureaucracy! The definition of a bureaucracy, " a system of govt. where decisions are made by state officials, not elected representatives". How is any of that relevant to the discussion of Wi giving employees a choice of working more hours?
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13