GOP debate

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

GOP debate

Postby Willink » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 am

Drinking a lot on vacation in Maine so relying on spellchecker her to suggest lucidity but

Carson good so far
Christie is a moron
Trump dodging
Cruz great
Rubio and Ohio guy too many platitudes
Bush trying to unromney himself
Paul trolling Trump and halfanswerimg question
Don't care about Huckabee
Walker lol

Too many "we need truth platitudes", muh Reagan as was expected

Rofl at Paul Christie exchange, learn the 4th amendment lmao
Willink

Re: GOP debate

Postby BF004 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Really liked Carson before this, really think he probably had the best night in terms of expectations. Think he'll possibly move the most in the polls.

Trump didn't do anything lose or gain any support, the Rosie O'Donnell jab was hilarious.

I think Walker tried to be careful and just sail with his top 3 % for another month.

Jeb was kind of bleh, still don't get the appeal.

Pissed at Rand, thought he had a bad night, I know he can do way better.

Like Rubio a ton, but almost too generic and too general with his answers. Total politician and you can see it.

Cruz, Huckabee, Christie, Kasich, meh. I think Christie made his best attempt to get noticed being 10th in the polls, but not a fan at all of his nanny state message.

BF004

Postby flapackfan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:46 pm

I have been a huge Carson fan since the national prayer breakfast. His call to educate people's attitudes to self reliance certainly plays well with me. The brain is what makes people who they are and not their skin was great.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby Papa John » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Megyn Kelly sure was digging that power trip, huh? My opinion of her changed big time after last night.
Papa John

Postby Papa John » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:09 pm

flapackfan wrote:I have been a huge Carson fan since the national prayer breakfast. His call to educate people's attitudes to self reliance certainly plays well with me. The brain is what makes people who they are and not their skin was great.

I agree. I could see him bringing a divided country together.
Papa John

Postby Papa John » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:12 pm

BF004 wrote:Really liked Carson before this, really think he probably had the best night in terms of expectations. Think he'll possibly move the most in the polls.

Trump didn't do anything lose or gain any support, the Rosie O'Donnell jab was hilarious.

I think Walker tried to be careful and just sail with his top 3 % for another month.

Jeb was kind of bleh, still don't get the appeal.

Pissed at Rand, thought he had a bad night, I know he can do way better.

Like Rubio a ton, but almost too generic and too general with his answers. Total politician and you can see it.

Cruz, Huckabee, Christie, Kasich, meh. I think Christie made his best attempt to get noticed being 10th in the polls, but not a fan at all of his nanny state message.

Rand did seem pretty angry at times.

I will be very disappointed if Jeb is the nominee. He comes across as a beta-male.

Agree 100% about Marco Rubio. I didn't know what it was that I didn't like about him, and you helped me realize, 004- he is a total politician.

Huckabee will never be president- just look at the guy. Seems like the kind of guy who puts on a sweet face for the camera, but would beat his wife at night.
Papa John

Postby APB » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I read Carson had over 250,000 new "likes" to his FB page on the first day following the debate. Good for him. I thought he came across as personable and likeable, although some of his foreign policy stuff needs some fine tuning. He's an incredibly smart man, though, and I have no doubt he'll polish up. If/when Trump implodes, I suspect Carson will pick up a considerable chunk of his supporters. He echoes much of Trump's "anger with Washington" and, as an outsider, seems a logical choice as a backup plan for Trump supporters.

Speaking of the inevitable Trump implosion, I felt Bush and Walker were happy to play it safe while they await the Trump fall. They didn't do anything to stand out but they also didn't do anything to hurt their standing. I think their strategies include waiting out the inevitable and then cleaning up in the fallout of Trump's failed campaign.

I actually liked Rubio. I think his "next generation" niche may play well in a Bush/Clinton type faceoff. His "resume" and "paycheck to paycheck" responses will resonate with a lot of people. He's not my favorite but I can see him being a force in this election and certainly a viable VP candidate.

Really liked Fiorina. She had an opportunity to stand out in the secondary debate and took full advantage. I really like what she can bring to the table as far as business acumen in the international marketplace and, from a political standpoint, the damage she could cause Clinton as part of the GOP ticket. She's still gotta prove she can hold her on on stage with the big boys but I suspect she can. She could develop into a force for this election.

EDIT: Looks like Carson came across very well to the masses, even judged as the "winner" in this poll.
APB

Postby APB » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm

APB wrote:Speaking of the inevitable Trump implosion...

...has it begun?

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidates-ride-debate-momentum-redstate-activists-065328361--election.html#
APB

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Thoughts?

Liking Rubio increasingly more and more.

Jeb and Kasich will be suspending their campaigns within weeks.

Thought Christie had a good night, Jeb supporters may just flock to him as an alternative establishment to Trump.

Carson and Trump did nothing to change their spots IMO.

Fiorina was good again.
BF004

Postby RodgePodge » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Jeb continued to sink.

Rubio, Cruz, Trump, and Carson won this debate. Christie too but I still think he's dead in the water.

The moderators lost.

I think that if Trump doesn't get the nom, Rubio will. He's their golden boy. But I'll never forget or forgive his backstabbing on amnesty.
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby Willink » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Debate again yesterday was terrible, only one who stood out was Cruz and I hate his foreign policy

Rockwell + Woods on the same line of thinking:

http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-522-lew- ... bate-2015/
Willink

Postby Lord Ben » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:51 am

The only thing that prevents me from going over into the Cruz camp is that I'm worried he'll let perfect be the enemy of good. I want to see positive changes and not just hold-outs for the perfect solutions.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:12 am

Lord Ben wrote:The only thing that prevents me from going over into the Cruz camp is that I'm worried he'll let perfect be the enemy of good. I want to see positive changes and not just hold-outs for the perfect solutions.

I love Cruz but for some reason I just can't see him getting elected. Can't put my finger on it. Sounds a bit too robotic and can't connect. I think his role is in Congress, like Paul. Which is fine. But I would also love a Cruz presidency.
RodgePodge

Postby Trudge » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 am

RodgePodge wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:The only thing that prevents me from going over into the Cruz camp is that I'm worried he'll let perfect be the enemy of good. I want to see positive changes and not just hold-outs for the perfect solutions.

I love Cruz but for some reason I just can't see him getting elected. Can't put my finger on it. Sounds a bit too robotic and can't connect. I think his role is in Congress, like Paul. Which is fine. But I would also love a Cruz presidency.

I think Cruz just knows how to fight and not much else behind it. I didn't like the GOP debates honestly, but I don't think it was good moderation either. Was a different tone to this one to when I watched the Dem debate. I'll have to take in a bit more before really coming to a conclusion on if it's more paranoia or reality why it is. I do not disagree with Christe I think it was who got the fantasy football question though. There's much more to talk about than regulating fantasy football. Do not think the Dem debate was all sunshine and roses either though, although Cooper could have pushed a bit more, did OK with the time allotted I guess. Can say this though, don't want a Bush, Clinton, Cruz, Carson or Trump presidency at this point. Be nice if Santa or something rose from the depths of nothing and won it.
Trudge

Postby RodgePodge » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Trudge wrote:
RodgePodge wrote:

I think Cruz just knows how to fight and not much else behind it. I didn't like the GOP debates honestly, but I don't think it was good moderation either. Was a different tone to this one to when I watched the Dem debate. I'll have to take in a bit more before really coming to a conclusion on if it's more paranoia or reality why it is. I do not disagree with Christe I think it was who got the fantasy football question though. There's much more to talk about than regulating fantasy football. Do not think the Dem debate was all sunshine and roses either though, although Cooper could have pushed a bit more, did OK with the time allotted I guess. Can say this though, don't want a Bush, Clinton, Cruz, Carson or Trump presidency at this point. Be nice if Santa or something rose from the depths of nothing and won it.

You just need to embrace The Trump :wink:
RodgePodge

Return to The Podium - PG13