Windows 10

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Windows 10

Postby Beagle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:42 pm

Anybody upgrade to Windows 10 yet? If so, how do you like it?
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Re: Windows 10

Postby Willink » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:56 am

Liking it a lot so far. Bought a new desktop a month ago after having used Windows 7 for several years, brings back a lot of the desktop-friendly features that seemed to get tossed to the side with the tablet emphasis on Windows 8. New music app is great, organization is good, performance is just as snappy as windows 8 was (~startup to able to open apps in under 8 seconds).
Willink

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:47 am

I put it on my old desktop (~4 years old) that my son uses and it seems to run nomal but some of the Steam games aren't accessing Steam's cloud content normally. I really haven't done any troubleshooting yet so maybe it's an easy fix but it's the only thing I've noticed.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:07 am

Lord Ben wrote:I put it on my old desktop (~4 years old) that my son uses and it seems to run nomal but some of the Steam games aren't accessing Steam's cloud content normally. I really haven't done any troubleshooting yet so maybe it's an easy fix but it's the only thing I've noticed.

Some games aren't supported at all.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby Trudge » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 am

Lord Ben wrote:I put it on my old desktop (~4 years old) that my son uses and it seems to run nomal but some of the Steam games aren't accessing Steam's cloud content normally. I really haven't done any troubleshooting yet so maybe it's an easy fix but it's the only thing I've noticed.

That's about how old mine is, I've been waiting because I don't like upgrading stuff with as big of impact like an OS this early. Plus I went to an Office 365 demo a few years back, Microsoft is looking to move to a 3 month upgrade plan, not sure if it's paid upgrades or not but I think this is the beginning of that through Windows Update. I'll stick with 7 for a while yet since EOL is 3 or 4 years away yet.
Trudge

Postby Waldo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Trudge wrote:

That's about how old mine is, I've been waiting because I don't like upgrading stuff with as big of impact like an OS this early. Plus I went to an Office 365 demo a few years back, Microsoft is looking to move to a 3 month upgrade plan, not sure if it's paid upgrades or not but I think this is the beginning of that through Windows Update. I'll stick with 7 for a while yet since EOL is 3 or 4 years away yet.

I think Microsoft is realizing there is a real threat to losing their OS dominance in the coming years if their current model is retained; their OS business is not particularly profitable, especially the home segment. Lots of people are very proficient in Apple's and Google's OS's due to their mobile and tablet dominance; the risk is that Microsoft's business dominance (where they actually make their $$) could be lost; one of the things maintaining their business dominance is the fact that it is assumed that noone needs training on using their OS, if that stops being the case it could be a problem.

I believe their official statements that the OS is going to something similar to freeware for home users. They need the market share to stay relevant in the app war, and they need everyone to know how to use their OS to maintain their business dominance.

Microsoft makes their money primarily on office and OS licences for businesses and XBox. Everything else is ancillary to that. Though I do think they are trying to become what blackberry once was in mobile, the dominant mobile and tablet platform for business use.
Waldo

Postby Lord Ben » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:39 pm

I finally sat down and looked at his PC, the wireless connection had stopped working and wouldn't detect or connect to our wifi. I ran the connection troubleshooter and everything on steam is working again.

Took like 30 seconds to fix.... heh.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Postby BF004 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Lord Ben wrote:I finally sat down and looked at his PC, the wireless connection had stopped working and wouldn't detect or connect to our wifi. I ran the connection troubleshooter and everything on steam is working again.

Windows troubleshooter fixed something? :shock:

:kaboom:
BF004

Postby APB » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:30 pm

BF004 wrote:
Lord Ben wrote:I finally sat down and looked at his PC, the wireless connection had stopped working and wouldn't detect or connect to our wifi. I ran the connection troubleshooter and everything on steam is working again.

Windows troubleshooter fixed something? :shock:

:kaboom:

No kidding. I'd go buy a lottery ticket if I were you.
APB

Postby Lord Ben » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:30 pm

I know, right? I was pretty shocked myself. Windows 10 troubleshooter is 1/1 so far.
Lord Ben

Postby texas » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:41 am

I've heard great things about Windows 10, especially when compared with Windows 8. That said, a few rumors are dealbreakers for me. I've been a Microsoft guy my whole life, but on my new computer I installed Ubuntu. Here are the cons that outweigh the pros, at least for me:

1) Microsoft sucks. Nothing new here. Windows 8 is the biggest sack of $#!! ever. It's already literally burned through a hard drive on my laptop, and after a month of using it after the hard drive was replaced, it then permanently started taking 3 minutes to open task manager. They're not open source, they knock off every one of their products and internal programs and you can't fix basic issues that are easily resolved in the open source analogues, because Microsoft has all their internals on lockdown. Btw all their knockoff programs suck big time compared to competitors. My 6 year old PC running Windows 7 runs faster than my 2 year old PC running Windows 8. Same specs

2) Windows 10 apparently doesn't let you turn off updates. Updates bug the hell out of me, and I think they contribute a lot to the general slowing-down of all Windows products.

3) I heard they were going to start charging for updates after 2 years. Normally I'd just say #$%! it, I don't want upgrades anyway because they screw everything up, but read point #2. I surely won't be paying for something I don't want. Only Obama can make me do that.

4) The worst is something I heard about their TOS. Not sure of the veracity, but apparently they just go right out and tell you they'll be taking all your files, data, emails, etc, whether they need it or not. At least they're honest I guess.

It's a shame because I heard Windows 10 really is great. Windows 7 always worked well for me, so maybe I'll get a Windows 10 laptop in the future and use it as my netflix computer or something. But now my main work will be done on Linux.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Return to The Podium - PG13