Colorado

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Colorado

Postby Stevedore » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:24 am

Anyone on here live there, maybe Louder?

Thinking of a possible move to Colorado in 2.5 years before my son starts his schooling, my wife lived there for 5 years in the Littleton area.

An Income of $100,000-$200,000 goes absolutely nowhere in California, over it. I need to buy a house for a write-off, but the thought of plunking down 20% on a $600,000 house that has a $350,000 look to it makes we want to throw up! :evil:

The catch is I can't change my job, salary and benefits are too good to simply walk away from. Thinking of an outside of the box move where I would work 15 straight days in Cali, then return home to Colorado for the rest of the month. I have the flexibility job wise where I could set up any work scenario I want within a given month. One two hour and 20 minute flight a month that averages between $200-$275 round trip isn't a lot. Also, studio or bachelor housing close to my job in Cali can be had for $500-$600 a month, possibly cheaper.

Am I crazy for even considering this? I just see the handwriting on the wall out here and know I really don't want to be here anymore. I've been married for 7 years and couldn't be happier, very solid relationship. I guess I'm not the only one who is considering/doing this:
http://www.alternet.org/culture/living- ... better-one
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Re: Colorado

Postby flapackfan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:53 am

Better check with your tax accountant. California is still going to consider you a resident.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen prove that they are insured, but doesn't require every person to prove they are a citizen. Many who can't prove they are citizens will receive free insurance from those that are citizens.
flapackfan

Postby Stevedore » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm

flapackfan wrote:Better check with your tax accountant. California is still going to consider you a resident.
You're right, most likely have to file state tax returns in both states; later this year I'll have that discussion with my accountant.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby Waldo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh come on now, you just want to live in Colorado 'cause weed is legal there.
Waldo

Postby Stevedore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:13 am

Waldo wrote:Oh come on now, you just want to live in Colorado 'cause weed is legal there.
It rains too much in Washington!! :lol:
Weed is pretty much legal in Cali. :8)
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby wallyuwl » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:00 am

What does your wife think of you being gone half the time?

Does your company have operations in Colorado you could transfer to?

Could you have a similar quality of life if you just moved to Colorado even at a lower salaried job because of the lower cost of living and not having to pay for two places (and two sets of state taxes, and $300 per month for flights back and forth, etc.)?

California is a sinking ship, literally and figuratively. In the areas where the farmers are taking all the ground water, the land is sinking as much as a few inches a month. The financial problems are well documented.
wallyuwl

Postby Stevedore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:18 am

wallyuwl wrote:What does your wife think of you being gone half the time?

Does your company have operations in Colorado you could transfer to?

Could you have a similar quality of life if you just moved to Colorado even at a lower salaried job because of the lower cost of living and not having to pay for two places (and two sets of state taxes, and $300 per month for flights back and forth, etc.)?

California is a sinking ship, literally and figuratively. In the areas where the farmers are taking all the ground water, the land is sinking as much as a few inches a month. The financial problems are well documented.
My wife is fine with it, our relationship is real solid and she's a pretty independent woman; lived in 4 other states including Colorado before we met in California.

I'm a longshoreman, work down on the docks here in LA/LB harbor; only other states where I could do my job would be Oregon or Washington. Living in Cali my whole life, I don't think I'd like all the gloomy weather and rain the pacific NW has to offer; Colorado and it's snow still has 300 sunny days a year.

I couldn't walk away from my job, it's too stable and it was really hard to get; walking away from a mid six figure income for something unknown in another state wouldn't make sense. So I'm basically stuck here as far as work is concerned. You're right about Cali, it's going down hill fast; big businesses leaving the state because of taxes, illegal immigrants everywhere, horrible traffic,insane housing prices, etc....I'm over the place, really don't want to raise my 2 year old son here.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby raptorman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Couple of things. You would probably end up with two tax returns. Not a big deal. Depending on housing in Colorado it may benefit you if you can do it. Many Pilots do the same thing. Live in one state, have a crash pad were they are based. Once you change states, registrar to vote and change you drivers license to Colorado. That way CA can't consider you a resident. But check on the out of state taxes before you do anything. Pilots do it all the time. A good portion of the US's airline pilots live in one of 5 states and commute. Of course it's easier and cheaper for them to commute than the average person. The other thing to look at is buying airline tickets way in advance. If you know you will be going home for thanksgiving or something they are always cheaper months ahead of time.
Since 1994, the QB sacked by Vikings more than any other QB in the league. Aaron Rodgers.
raptorman

Postby Stevedore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:10 pm

raptorman wrote:Couple of things. You would probably end up with two tax returns. Not a big deal. Depending on housing in Colorado it may benefit you if you can do it. Many Pilots do the same thing. Live in one state, have a crash pad were they are based. Once you change states, registrar to vote and change you drivers license to Colorado. That way CA can't consider you a resident. But check on the out of state taxes before you do anything. Pilots do it all the time. A good portion of the US's airline pilots live in one of 5 states and commute. Of course it's easier and cheaper for them to commute than the average person. The other thing to look at is buying airline tickets way in advance. If you know you will be going home for thanksgiving or something they are always cheaper months ahead of time.
Great insight raptor, thank you. :AOK
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 am

I think Colorado is a great place. Hard to beat. As far as the airplane commute, you'd probably want to find somewhere not too far away from DIA, I would think, right? Otherwise your already possibly semi-ridiculous commuting thing gets even more painful. Denver is a nice enough city, as far as big cities go, IMO.

Aurora is a sprawling suburbia near DIA. If you are looking for a newer suburban home or McMansion, at a somewhat reasonable price, you might like it. Really quick to DIA from there via I-225. If you prefer older houses, maybe check out the east side of Denver.
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Stevedore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:42 am

get louder at lambeau wrote:I think Colorado is a great place. Hard to beat. As far as the airplane commute, you'd probably want to find somewhere not too far away from DIA, I would think, right? Otherwise your already possibly semi-ridiculous commuting thing gets even more painful. Denver is a nice enough city, as far as big cities go, IMO.

Aurora is a sprawling suburbia near DIA. If you are looking for a newer suburban home or McMansion, at a somewhat reasonable price, you might like it. Really quick to DIA from there via I-225. If you prefer older houses, maybe check out the east side of Denver.
You're right about being close to the airport Louder, excited to hear about early 2016 rail projects; DIA to Union station in 37 minutes. They also have a couple of NW lines that go through Broomfield and Arvada from Union Station in 11 minutes! In November we're staying in Broomfield for a few nights, seems an ideal location between Boulder and Denver. Going to rent a car and just drive around looking at neighborhoods, see what we like. I think the eastern cities might be a little to rural or barren for me, I don't know.....just have to see for myself I guess.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Stevedore wrote:
get louder at lambeau wrote:I think Colorado is a great place. Hard to beat. As far as the airplane commute, you'd probably want to find somewhere not too far away from DIA, I would think, right? Otherwise your already possibly semi-ridiculous commuting thing gets even more painful. Denver is a nice enough city, as far as big cities go, IMO.

You're right about being close to the airport Louder, excited to hear about early 2016 rail projects; DIA to Union station in 37 minutes. They also have a couple of NW lines that go through Broomfield and Arvada from Union Station in 11 minutes! In November we're staying in Broomfield for a few nights, seems an ideal location between Boulder and Denver. Going to rent a car and just drive around looking at neighborhoods, see what we like. I think the eastern cities might be a little to rural or barren for me, I don't know.....just have to see for myself I guess.

Alternately, if you can find consistently cheap direct flights from LAX to COS (Colorado Springs), you will get off the plane closer to neighborhoods by the mountains (20 min drive to really nice neighborhoods like Broadmoor and Skyway up against the mountains) and you'll get more house for your money down here. Not as much going on as Denver, of course, but it's not a small town either. The metro population is about 700,000.

I like it here better than Denver, due to traffic and crowding, but being used to the LA area, Denver traffic might seem like no big deal to you. Personally, I wouldn't count on those trains. At least make sure you account for the time in between trains waiting, and remember that you already have a bitch or a commute before that.

If you haven't done it already, check out city-data.com. Here is Colorado Springs on City Data -
http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado- ... orado.html
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Stevedore » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 pm

get louder at lambeau wrote:
Stevedore wrote:

Alternately, if you can find consistently cheap direct flights from LAX to COS (Colorado Springs), you will get off the plane closer to neighborhoods by the mountains (20 min drive to really nice neighborhoods like Broadmoor and Skyway up against the mountains) and you'll get more house for your money down here. Not as much going on as Denver, of course, but it's not a small town either. The metro population is about 700,000.

I like it here better than Denver, due to traffic and crowding, but being used to the LA area, Denver traffic might seem like no big deal to you. Personally, I wouldn't count on those trains. At least make sure you account for the time in between trains waiting, and remember that you already have a bitch or a commute before that.

If you haven't done it already, check out city-data.com. Here is Colorado Springs on City Data -
http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado- ... orado.html
My wife lived in Colorado Springs for 8 months, but she didn't care for it; later relocated to Littleton and then Lakewood. She didn't feel like she fit in the Springs area, military and the religion Focus on the Family were a bit too much for her; had a cult vibe to her she said.

If light rail is unreliable, I could just have my wife drop me off or possibly use Uber if that's an option. I think using light rail would be really cool/fun for someone who's always had to use a car to go anywhere here in L.A.

The flight's into Denver are really cheap from L.A., went on Southwest and the highest round trip flight I saw was $299 for this September, then mostly in the $140-$225 range for October thru April; not bad at all. If I decide to do this, it would only be one flight a month with me being in L.A. for 12 consecutive days; flying out of Colorado on a Wednesday with a return trip to Colorado happening on a Monday.

I've been actively searching the forums of city-data.com site for a few weeks now Louder, great info on all of Colorado. :AOK
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Postby get louder at lambeau » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Stevedore wrote:My wife lived in Colorado Springs for 8 months, but she didn't care for it; later relocated to Littleton and then Lakewood. She didn't feel like she fit in the Springs area, military and the religion Focus on the Family were a bit too much for her; had a cult vibe to her she said.

If light rail is unreliable, I could just have my wife drop me off or possibly use Uber if that's an option. I think using light rail would be really cool/fun for someone who's always had to use a car to go anywhere here in L.A.

The flight's into Denver are really cheap from L.A., went on Southwest and the highest round trip flight I saw was $299 for this September, then mostly in the $140-$225 range for October thru April; not bad at all. If I decide to do this, it would only be one flight a month with me being in L.A. for 12 consecutive days; flying out of Colorado on a Wednesday with a return trip to Colorado happening on a Monday.

I've been actively searching the forums of city-data.com site for a few weeks now Louder, great info on all of Colorado. :AOK

Yeah, I understand that idea of COS, and it's not wrong. It's overblown, I think, but it's not wrong.

As far as the light rail, I don't mean that it's unreliable. It's probably fine. I have only used it a couple times, but you do stand around waiting outside for the trains. I just wouldn't want my commute to be that much of a pain. LAX, then DIA, then lightrail, yuck. And you still have to get to your house on both ends of that trip, probably by driving.

If you aren't realistic about the commute, it could kill your entire plan eventually. That's why I recommended places really close to DIA, even though I would rather live on the west side of the Denver metro if I had a choice too. If the commute isn't realistic, you won't live in Colorado at all for long, or you'll hate your life while you do. Just be careful not to underestimate it.

Good luck! :AOK

get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Return to The Podium - PG13