The Little War in Syria

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: The Little War in Syria

Postby wallyuwl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:38 am

Trudge wrote: Think maybe part of the reason he got elected was also that the majority of Americans didn't think we should be in Iraq in the first place and just wanted to get the hell out of the Middle East? Holy $#!!, he delivered on a campaign promise that the majority of voters voted for, what a fraud.

Good leaders do the right thing, not the popular thing. The "we shouldn't have been there in the first place" argument is a tired one. Bush, Cheney, and co were wrong to invade in 2003. But BO wasn't elected until 2008, it was his job to do the responsible and correct thing.

Good thing we started an imaginary war in Syria and against ISIS to make up for it.

Another one of BO's foreign policy blunders. Ironically, the second part of what I quoted is because of the first part.
wallyuwl

Postby Trudge » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:35 am

wallyuwl wrote:
Trudge wrote:
Good thing we started an imaginary war in Syria and against ISIS to make up for it.

Another one of BO's foreign policy blunders. Ironically, the second part of what I quoted is because of the first part.

Here's my problem. Not sure if it's a BO blunder or a continuing narrative by two different wings of the same bird.
Trudge

Postby get louder at lambeau » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:51 am

wallyuwl wrote:You don't remember things very well do you? In the primaries and general election BO ran on the platform that he would get out of Iraq ASAP, regardless of conditions on the ground. He backed off of that slightly once elected, but still got out way too soon. It was HIS mistake, mostly because of the pressure put on him from the leftist wing of the Democratic party (though, lets be real, there is no other part of the Democratic party nowadays). But he chose to ride the wave of "get out of Iraq no matter what", no one made him do it. That isn't what a responsible leader does. The surge worked to stabilize things on the ground and he, the commander in chief, pretty much made it so all of those soldiers that died or were maimed in 2007-2009 did so in vain.

GW Bush signed the "Status of Forces Agreement" with Iraqi President Maliki in December 2008 that eventually lead to American troops leaving Iraq. He did so because the clock was running out, in a couple weeks, on the UN mandate that allowed our forces to be in Iraq legally with respect to international law. That agreement bought us three more years of military occupation, but it could not be renewed after it ended in three years without the approval of the Iraqi Government. The Iraqi Government wrote the agreement, and it was a take it or leave it proposition. Leave now, or leave in three years.

Obama actually tried to KEEP some troops in Iraq after Bush's agreement ended at the end of 2011, but the Iraqis refused to extend continued legal immunity to American forces yet again, over 7 years after the war had started. Since they wouldn't extend legal immunity to our troops and mercenaries anymore, Obama had no realistic choice but to pull out of Iraq.

In reality, neither Bush nor Obama had a whole lot of choice in the matter of pulling out our troops, at least if they wanted to preserve the appearance that the USA actually cares about things like international law, respect for mutual treaties, democracy, self-determination, and national sovereignty.

If you want to properly assign blame to the President who actually pulled (actually, pushed) the US military out of Iraq, his name is Nouri al Maliki. If you want to assign blame to the President who created the whole post-9/11 Iraq mess in the first place, his name is George W. Bush. Obama inherited a giant mess.

If you want to blame President Obama for something, IMO, blame him for the messes that his proxy wars/coups have caused in the Ukraine, Libya, Syria, and Yemen. The way things are going lately, those might well prove to be even bigger disasters than Bush's wars.
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby dirty sanchez » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:49 am

get louder at lambeau wrote:
If you want to blame President Obama for something, IMO, blame him for the messes that his proxy wars/coups have caused in the Ukraine, Libya, Syria, and Yemen. The way things are going lately, those might well prove to be even bigger disasters than Bush's wars.
Don't forget Egypt.
dirty sanchez

Postby get louder at lambeau » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Here's another one that I'll bet doesn't make the news on any western mainstream media outlets.

Guess who discovered massive oil reserves in Syria's Golan Heights? An American oil company operating under Israeli Government's illegal "authority" in Golan. The company, Genie Energy, has a Strategic Advisory Board that consists of everyone from Dick Cheney, to former Clinton Administration officials like CIA head James Woolsey, Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, and Energy Secretary Bill Richardson, to FOX News owner Rupert Murdoch, to British billionaire (some say trillionaire) Lord Jacob Rothschild.

Check it out -

http://journal-neo.org/2015/10/26/genie ... uch-oil-2/
get louder at lambeau
Evil Dictator

Postby Beagle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:09 pm

US to send troops. I think this is a really REALLY bad idea. Just my 2 cents.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby Trudge » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Beagle wrote:US to send troops. I think this is a really REALLY bad idea. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. There's already a big disagreement with Russia in what we want to do with Assad. Can see this escalating more than it already has.
Trudge

Postby Beagle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Trudge wrote:
Beagle wrote:US to send troops. I think this is a really REALLY bad idea. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. There's already a big disagreement with Russia in what we want to do with Assad. Can see this escalating more than it already has.

Yea, its a bad situation and we have ourselves to blame, to some degree. But with Russia already there, China making noise in the South China Sea and nothing really to gain by all of this, why bother? Pull everything out and let the Russians deal with it. Let them see how difficult "peace keeping" can be for a change. They'll be begging us to come back.
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
Beagle

Postby wallyuwl » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Beagle wrote:Yea, its a bad situation and we have ourselves to blame, to some degree. But with Russia already there, China making noise in the South China Sea and nothing really to gain by all of this, why bother? Pull everything out and let the Russians deal with it. Let them see how difficult "peace keeping" can be for a change. They'll be begging us to come back.

Except now Obama has done exactly the opposite, and today approved for special ops troops to be boots on the ground in Syria.
wallyuwl

Postby RodgePodge » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Just imagine what will happen if a Russia air strike kills US troops, or vice versa.

(well, probably nothing for the former)
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:16 am

They'll begin to discuss having talks to sternly warn Russia.
“Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about." -- Ted Thompson
Lord Ben

Location: Deep in the bowels of the Vandelay Industries server room.

Postby RodgePodge » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Lord Ben wrote:They'll begin to discuss having talks to sternly warn Russia.

A very stern line in the sand :roll: :lol:
Make the Packers Great Again!
RodgePodge

Postby Willink » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:40 am

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n01/seymour-m- ... o-military

According to this report JCoS are literally ignoring Obama and purposely giving intelligence to Assad because the rebels are incompetent religious fundamentalists and they don't want ISIS to gain ground
Willink

Postby Cdragon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Looking at it at this moment.

The Russian strategy is simple. Kill any rebel group we could even think about supporting. Once ISIS and Assad are the only choices we'll fall into line. We've already ceded control of Iraq to Iranian controlled militias. We are wasting air support on groups that oppose us.

We don't have the balls to give Kurdistan a real shot. Abandoning the region will soon be in the cards, We should save some cash and get out now.

In the middle east the Enemy of my Enemy is just another Enemy.
Cdragon

Postby Willink » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 am

Saudi's execute 47 people, including this guy, who accuses the Saudis of being tyrants and sponsors of Islamic terrorism (which they are):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSEG34wxgaY

Iranians respond by lighting the Saudi embassy on fire and looting it, Saudis respond by cutting off diplomatic relations with Iran:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35217328

Sunni Muslims (e.g. the vast majorities of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Libya, and very large (75%) of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, and Syria) are responsible for 70% of terror attacks worldwide.

EDIT: somewhat related

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2015 ... s-exposed/
Willink

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13