OT Kaepernick

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

OT Kaepernick

Postby OldPackerFan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:04 pm

If recent comments by Ravens coach John Harbaugh regarding the potential signing of quarterback Colin Kaepernick were meant to be a trial balloon, it apparently is made of lead.

Mike Silver of NFL Media reports that the Ravens “have heard from numerous fans regarding Kaepernick in the last couple of days, many staunchly opposed to his signing.”

It’s hardly a surprise, given that Giants co-owner John Mara already has provided all anti-Kaepernick fans with the blueprint for shouting down a potential Kaepernick signing.

“All my years being in the league, I never received more emotional mail from people than I did about that issue,” Mara said in May. “If any of your players ever do that, we are never coming to another Giants game. It wasn’t one or two letters. It was a lot. It’s an emotional, emotional issue for a lot of people, moreso than any other issue I’ve run into.”
OldPackerFan
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby OldPackerFan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Podium, but it is football and sooner or later some Packer player will disrespect the fans and our country
OldPackerFan
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby Cdragon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Well most letters are probably written by people who can't get into a Giants game anyways. How many would really give up their seats for a guy who would only be there for a year or two. I'd certainly take that threat with a grain of salt. They get to boo, everybody weather's the storm. Kap moves on.

The question is what I am getting out of hiring him more than the distraction the team is going to have to suffer with?
The Jets have already tanked this season, is anybody giving up their seats? Since the Jets aren't in contention they could easily hire a distraction that pulls eyes away from poor management.
User avatar
Cdragon
 
Posts: 11423
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Robert Brooks' Home Town

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby Pugger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:32 pm

Why is Mara giving that clown this much attention? I mean, seriously. There is a reason why it took Kaep this long to find a suitor and it isn't because of his politics.
User avatar
Pugger
 
Posts: 13858
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby OldPackerFan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Pugger wrote:Why is Mara giving that clown this much attention? I mean, seriously. There is a reason why it took Kaep this long to find a suitor and it isn't because of his politics.


I think it is because of his politics. He would be an adequate backup QB for a lot of teams, but no team knows whether they would lose 2% of their fans or 20%. Not every team has a waiting list of fans wanting to buy season tickets
OldPackerFan
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby Charon21 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:02 am

OldPackerFan wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the Podium, but it is football and sooner or later some Packer player will disrespect the fans and our country


LOL disrespect

Image
User avatar
Charon21
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 am

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby salmar80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:35 pm

OldPackerFan wrote:
Pugger wrote:Why is Mara giving that clown this much attention? I mean, seriously. There is a reason why it took Kaep this long to find a suitor and it isn't because of his politics.


I think it is because of his politics. He would be an adequate backup QB for a lot of teams, but no team knows whether they would lose 2% of their fans or 20%. Not every team has a waiting list of fans wanting to buy season tickets

Basically too much drama for a backup QB. You want your team focused on football, since camp is so short.

I don't have an issue with using celebrity to drive a cause, but it's not necessarily a good career move.
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
User avatar
salmar80
 
Posts: 5892
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby OldPackerFan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Charon21 wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the Podium, but it is football and sooner or later some Packer player will disrespect the fans and our country


LOL disrespect

Image


Tell me about it. I was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I saw people die. And when I came home the left told me that I was damaged goods and could not have the best jobs or a family. So I had to hide my service as best I could, and although I succeeded and had a successful career and a family, many Vietnam vets did not. Yes, disrespect, and words of "thank you" are hypocrisy when people like Kap are rewarded or tolerated.
OldPackerFan
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby yoop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 pm

OldPackerFan wrote:
Charon21 wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the Podium, but it is football and sooner or later some Packer player will disrespect the fans and our country


LOL disrespect

Image


Tell me about it. I was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I saw people die. And when I came home the left told me that I was damaged goods and could not have the best jobs or a family. So I had to hide my service as best I could, and although I succeeded and had a successful career and a family, many Vietnam vets did not. Yes, disrespect, and words of "thank you" are hypocrisy when people like Kap are rewarded or tolerated.


It wasn't the left that disrespected your service to your country, it was people from both sides of the political spectrum, mostly college age people that where fed up with our country being involved in a prolonged conflict, and the body bags of dead US soldiers returning, it was a worthy revolt, to bad many took it out on the live soldiers that where able to get back alive such as yourself.

Kapernik also demonstrated for a worthy cause, just a poor choice of venues, I could just imagine the line of deserters if we enacted the draft again, who would go? who would qualify to go??
Image
User avatar
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net
 
Posts: 19304
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Yooperopolis

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby Cdragon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 pm

yoop wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:
Charon21 wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the Podium, but it is football and sooner or later some Packer player will disrespect the fans and our country


LOL disrespect

Image


Tell me about it. I was drafted and sent to Vietnam. I saw people die. And when I came home the left told me that I was damaged goods and could not have the best jobs or a family. So I had to hide my service as best I could, and although I succeeded and had a successful career and a family, many Vietnam vets did not. Yes, disrespect, and words of "thank you" are hypocrisy when people like Kap are rewarded or tolerated.


It wasn't the left that disrespected your service to your country, it was people from both sides of the political spectrum, mostly college age people that where fed up with our country being involved in a prolonged conflict, and the body bags of dead US soldiers returning, it was a worthy revolt, to bad many took it out on the live soldiers that where able to get back alive such as yourself.

Kapernik also demonstrated for a worthy cause, just a poor choice of venues, I could just imagine the line of deserters if we enacted the draft again, who would go? who would qualify to go??


Definitely in forum territory now.
We are in a 16 year now. The all voluntary military has pretty much been the perfect buffer against protest. Or questioning what the hell we are doing.

Kap was rewarded because he is certainly a better option than what will be starting for some teams. Most likely will be rewarded again. Hanoi Jane didn't stop making money and neither will he.

Too much money to be made in politics so the average guy or gal always gets screwed.
User avatar
Cdragon
 
Posts: 11423
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Robert Brooks' Home Town

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby packfntk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:07 pm

From past experiences, if this gets any more political we are moving it to the podium. Try to discuss the player at all costs, while realizing all the other crap comes with him.

Personally, I stay away from him by miles and miles.
Image

Wisconsin Cheese is better than California Cheese.
User avatar
packfntk
Super Homer
Super Homer
 
Posts: 9705
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:41 pm
Location: Green Bay Baby!

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby grace1st » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:23 pm

There are probably a few teams that would be happy to sign Kap later because their fan base would be about buying tickets to see a confused guy like him. Most teams realize that if they want to win, they should do everything possible to sign guys who are "team first" players. Kap is not that.
God bless America
User avatar
grace1st
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Green chile capital of the world!

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby YoHoChecko » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 pm

It's frustrating because the "distraction" side of him as a player is real, but manufactured. Like, people only hate the idea of him playing for their team because some people hate the idea of it and are loud about it. Many players knelt and they all have jobs. Kaepernick was sort of "the leader" of that, but only because he plays QB. He was, at the time of the backlash, though, a backup QB who had a run of success on the field but needed development to take the next step. The fact that he is a headline maker is very strange.

Personally, I do not feel disrespected by his quiet, nonviolent, not disruptive protest and am impressed that he puts his money and action where his mouth is. I think his mouth often strays too far, but I don't have to agree with everyone's stance to respect their right to have it. I'm more concerned about flat-earthers and William Hayes' disbelief in dinosaurs (read: stupidty) than I am about a guy who believes that he needs to take a stand on a social issue and has the stage/resources to do so. I am, for those who don't know, a veteran who served in Afghanistan and has the outline of America tattooed on my leg, an American flag wallet, and used to drive a car with American flag stripes down the side. It's not about politics or patriotism. It's about making a fuss over a player's personal politics.

As a player, I think he's a good back-up option because mobile QBs are often able to take defenses off guard when they haven't game planned for it. I think it's interesting that the Ravens--who have in the past been willing to take on players with strong social stances--are even spooked by this (of course Baltimore has some serious racial dynamic issues). Based on the first week in camp, Ryan Mallett is not up to the task. You really couldn't imagine getting a more talented back-up on the cheap at this point in the season.
YoHoChecko
 
Posts: 15146
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby lulu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 pm

You would have a very difficult time convincing me that most GM's wouldn't look the other way on his off the field activities if they thought he would be an addition to their team. Hell, look at Pacman Jones, Adrian Peterson or Josh Gordon. Teams are willing to sign these guys despite their off the field transgressions because they can be a difference maker on the field.

Said differently, I don't think his politics has anything to do with him not being signed.

I respect Colin for speaking out but I don't agree with the manner he chose to express himself. The NFL provides players an enormous platform to work from, he chose poorly.
lulu
 
Posts: 8756
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Re: OT Kaepernick

Postby Two.Sheds » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm

It seems it all about perspective....Image
Two.Sheds
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron