Foxconn in Wisconsin

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Foxconn in Wisconsin

Postby BF004 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Any thoughts on this? Good or bad?

Up to $3B in tax incentives for them to build a plan in SE Wisconsin?
BF004

Re: Foxconn in Wisconsin

Postby raptorman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 pm

BF004 wrote:Any thoughts on this? Good or bad?

Up to $3B in tax incentives for them to build a plan in SE Wisconsin?

I have yet to read the actual bill. Until then I doubt that what we read in the news is the true story. I do know this. No tax credits should be given until the jobs are there.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
raptorman

Postby BF004 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/poli ... 586640001/

If the Taiwan-based electronics manufacturer employs 13,000 people in the state, the ripple effect could spawn an additional 19,000 to 26,000 jobs through growth from the company's suppliers and other businesses in the region, said Noah Williams, director of the Center for Research on the Wisconsin Economy.

That could mean a return of $3.90 for every $1 in state subsidy costs spent to lure Foxconn and its planned investment of up to $10 billion, Williams said in his report, which was commissioned by the Wisconsin Technology Council.

I really hope this does happen. IN terms of the numbers, they are so hard to grasp and rationalize when you are talking about like $3 billion in tax incentives over like 10 years or something.

Although I do kind of view this similar to how I'd view an investment in education. We have one of the best Universities and university systems in the planet in WI, and we lose sooo many of them to outside the state employers. Would be nice to also invest in somewhere for all these subsidized graduates to work. Then if you establish a base/community of people with advanced skills, high tech skills in this case, it would look more appealing in the future for other companies to locate here.

Could got a long way towards starting our Wiscon Valley, high tech industry of the Midwest. Doubt we'd ever rival SF in any stretch of the imagination, but would be smart to aim high to build something that would have fantastic benefits for the state.

So I am in favor of investing in business sectors, particularly tech industries, which goes against my fairly libertarian viewpoints of picking and choosing winners and losers. But in this case, I think the benefits given our infrastructure in place with our education system, could pay amazing dividends.
BF004

Postby texas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 pm

BF004 wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/21/report-foxconn-could-return-nearly-4-every-1-state-subsidy/586640001/

If the Taiwan-based electronics manufacturer employs 13,000 people in the state, the ripple effect could spawn an additional 19,000 to 26,000 jobs through growth from the company's suppliers and other businesses in the region, said Noah Williams, director of the Center for Research on the Wisconsin Economy.

That could mean a return of $3.90 for every $1 in state subsidy costs spent to lure Foxconn and its planned investment of up to $10 billion, Williams said in his report, which was commissioned by the Wisconsin Technology Council.

I really hope this does happen. IN terms of the numbers, they are so hard to grasp and rationalize when you are talking about like $3 billion in tax incentives over like 10 years or something.

Although I do kind of view this similar to how I'd view an investment in education. We have one of the best Universities and university systems in the planet in WI, and we lose sooo many of them to outside the state employers. Would be nice to also invest in somewhere for all these subsidized graduates to work. Then if you establish a base/community of people with advanced skills, high tech skills in this case, it would look more appealing in the future for other companies to locate here.

Could got a long way towards starting our Wiscon Valley, high tech industry of the Midwest. Doubt we'd ever rival SF in any stretch of the imagination, but would be smart to aim high to build something that would have fantastic benefits for the state.

So I am in favor of investing in business sectors, particularly tech industries, which goes against my fairly libertarian viewpoints of picking and choosing winners and losers. But in this case, I think the benefits given our infrastructure in place with our education system, could pay amazing dividends.

There is a growing movement among real America (i.e. not fake America aka the elitist coasts) to make an alternative tech industry now that Google, Amazon, Fb, (who are monopolies and should be trust-busted) et all have shown their true colors. Wisconsin could be a decent place for that, but it's too damn cold.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Return to The Podium - PG13