Hurricane coverage in Florida

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Hurricane coverage in Florida

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Yoop you were so close to acknowledging an underlying truth. More people=more carbon emissions. The biggest green house gas by % in the environment is water vapor called evaporation completely natural and green fuels can not fix that. Second there is no perpetually on this planet change is going to happen and ultimately the earth could change to the point where man kind will fail, got a truth bomb too one day the sun will no longer exist and it will be lights out. My point is everything is being by consumed by society or time.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby dirty sanchez » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate at Bergen Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very
warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while
vast shoals of herring and smelt which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will
rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE RIGHT, YOOP.

But wait.... I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 94 years ago. People must have been farting a lot back then apparently.

https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/05 ... -0589a.pdf

Sorry, Yoop. Looks like you're wrong again.
dirty sanchez

Postby Pugger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Trudge wrote:
raptorman wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:The hurricane was a dud. There is of course some damage, but not nearly what it was hyped to be. The "experts" can't even get a hurricane right when it is a real-time weather event, yet we are to trust the "experts" that global warming is an open and shut case despite all their models being wrong (just like the hurricane ones were).

A "dud"? Really? Let's see, I sit here day 3 with out power, they say I should have it by Sunday (that would be day 8) at the latest. And 90% of the gas stations have no gas. Miami Airport opened for limited flights today. People aren't allowed back into the Keys yet. And Yes, the damage may not be what it was hyped, but had that storm hit Miami as a 4 or 5, it would have made Houston look like pee wee hurricane.

That being said, I would like someone to explain how they can predict the temperature 100 years out to half a degree but still can't tell me when and where a Hurricane will make landfall.

I have friends down there as well, no power till Sunday at best. Sister evacuated Jax early which flooded. It's funny to see people living in Minnesota and Kentucky complaining about how the hurricane was a disappointment though. Haven't heard from Pugger yet, hope all is well down there.

To answer your question Raptor, climate science and volatile weather conditions that can change rapidly are two different things. Not really the thread for it, and I'm tired. Glad everyone took the eclipse science without question though.

We are incredibly lucky and our house survived. The power was finally restored yesterday. We are in GB right now but will be returning home Monday morning. We had friends down there who endured that storm and have been sweltering in that heat for days without a/c. Yikes.

This storm was no dud even tho we didn't have damage. As we evacuated we were certain we were going to lose everything except the few items in my car. It is scary as hell to contemplate being homeless at 63 years old! I cried more than once, I assure you.
Pugger

Postby Pugger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:12 pm

raptorman wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:WI was going to send several thousand National Guard troops to FL to help with hurricane clean up efforts. Several of them were my students. Now their orders have all been cancelled because the damage wasn't as bad as expected. Sure, there is damage. But we were led to believe that it would be worse than Andrew in wind damage, and as bad as Harvey for flooding. It was a dud compared to what we were led to believe it would be. Our neighbors' daughter lives there and it was a dud for her, too, compared to what they expected (they rode out the storm).

As for yoop... tell me, what evidence do you have that hurricanes are occurring at greater frequency and/or greater intensity than previously? Specifically, than about 500 years ago before the last "mini ice age"? All the commentary I've seen credits increased impact of hurricanes to more people in general, and more living near the coasts.

Current estimates are around $100 billion in damage. Andrew was $25 billion. Problem is that the damage is so widespread it's hard to see. There are still street in my area with 2 feet of water in them, some areas south the house's are still flooded out.

Somebody called Irma Andrew on steroids. They showed a satellite picture of Irma and Andrew side by side and Andrew could fit inside Irma! Usually a hurricane will hit one area but this damn thing hit all of the state except a tiny portion of the panhandle. Thank god the eye of that monster moved to our east or else I'd be homeless today.
Pugger

Postby raptorman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Day 6 without power. Anyone who bitches about the cost of electricity should try going without it for a week. I estimate that it costs me $25 a day to run my generator. This is what I get. A window shaker A/C unit that cools two bedrooms. Lights in the house. A cold Refrigerator. Normal cost for me this time of year is about $8 a day for electric.

No hot water
No stove. (important when you love coffee)
No Washer and dryer.
No whole house A/C. Daily temps, 85-89 degrees.
No pool pump to keep the pool clean.

Now, for me it's not bad. Been there, done that. Spent time in the desert in a tent. This is actually easier. At least I have a pool to cool off in. I feel for those in their 70's and 80's who don't have it as good.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
raptorman

Postby BF004 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Damn, sounds terrible Raptor, surely hundreds/thousands in much worse shape too.

Hope America didn't spend all their generosity on Harvey.
BF004

Postby raptorman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 pm

BF004 wrote:Damn, sounds terrible Raptor, surely hundreds/thousands in much worse shape too.

Hope America didn't spend all their generosity on Harvey.

There are many more in worse shape then I. I'm not bitching, I have my house and everything else. Just pointing out that when people claim the storm was a "dud' really have no clue what they are talking about. I, am inconvenienced. Nothing more. Been through it in 2004, will most likely be through it again. For some, without A/C or power it's turns into a life or death situation.
raptorman

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Not to be cold or dismissive just curious why do you people stay? Why choose to live in an area where every 5-7 years all is lost?
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby dirty sanchez » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:Not to be cold or dismissive just curious why do you people stay? Why choose to live in an area where every 5-7 years all is lost?
Most people go there for the sunny weather. Cubans go there for the foodstamps and welfare. It's also the closest part of the US that they can get to with an overcrowded leaking boat.
dirty sanchez

Postby raptorman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:Not to be cold or dismissive just curious why do you people stay? Why choose to live in an area where every 5-7 years all is lost?

Why do people stay in CA? It can have a major earthquake at any point. Why stay in Alaska? It can be brutal in the winter.

Personally, I would prefer to live in WI. My wife likes it down here. It's not bad. At least we know when we are going to get hit with a storm. It's not like they pop up and 4 hours later you have 120 mph winds. Fact is, about 80% of all people who live in FL live within 10 miles of the beach. I can be at the beach in 10 minutes. And all is not lost in a storm. The homes are built pretty well these days. Actually, some were built really well in the 1950's. I haven't seen a stick frame house built in FL since 2004. Everything is concrete block or poured concrete walls. In December FL has a new building code coming out. It will be interesting to see what's changed.
raptorman

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Why people would live in California is entirely a different topic for many reasons. It is like the people that live along the Red River in North Dakota, it floods every 3rd year and people keep rebuilding, good for the economy I guess.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Previous

Return to The Podium - PG13