Hurricane coverage in Florida

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Hurricane coverage in Florida

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:44 pm

What a bunch of hype. Bugs me to watch the weather clowns out in the wind reporting about the extreme conditions, they make the report all about them. One thing I found very funny (in my twisted demented way) was the sign language interpretor for the initial evacuation order. I think there was a mistake they put the autistic guy on camera rather than a sign language expert to convey the message.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Re: Hurricane coverage in Florida

Postby wallyuwl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm

The hurricane was a dud. There is of course some damage, but not nearly what it was hyped to be. The "experts" can't even get a hurricane right when it is a real-time weather event, yet we are to trust the "experts" that global warming is an open and shut case despite all their models being wrong (just like the hurricane ones were).
wallyuwl

Postby dirty sanchez » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 pm

wallyuwl wrote:The hurricane was a dud. There is of course some damage, but not nearly what it was hyped to be. The "experts" can't even get a hurricane right when it is a real-time weather event, yet we are to trust the "experts" that global warming is an open and shut case despite all their models being wrong (just like the hurricane ones were).
Spent all day yesterday moving $#!! inside and securing things down because we were supposed to have 75 mph gusts. So far it's only been about 30 mph. Would have been fine leaving things as as is. Now I have to spend all day tomorrow moving things back in place.
dirty sanchez

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Got word last last night that the family compound on Snead escaped the wrath 2 trees down in the neighborhood and the pool over flowed. Big nothing.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby texas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Everyone had just seen what Harvey did, so more people believed the weathermen than normal.

Part of the reason Harvey had the impact it did was because people didn't believe the weathermen. Florida didn't want Harvey 2.0
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby yoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 am

wallyuwl wrote:The hurricane was a dud. There is of course some damage, but not nearly what it was hyped to be. The "experts" can't even get a hurricane right when it is a real-time weather event, yet we are to trust the "experts" that global warming is an open and shut case despite all their models being wrong (just like the hurricane ones were).

seems to me I read that warm waters, and high humidity is a root cause of Hurricanes, and that we have witnessed increase in hurricanes the last 50 years, not much of a leap to connect it with global warming.

ya know what would be funny if not so sad, is the handful of right wing people such as yourself thinking they know better then 98% of the rest of the world, glad you don't want to be made a fool of Wally.

It's such a right wing bias against spending now to become more energy free in the future, I swear all you people have stock in the oil Industry, you'd rather destroy our land and seas to save a buck, which you and the generations to follow will pay for clean up in every sense long after oil Co's go out of business, it's a save a penny to pay a buck later thing with you guys, and foolish.

Green energy will one day replace all the jobs in the fossil fuel Industry, how many years do you want to waste to get started? it wont get any cheaper in the future to pay for the new technoligy, but the right will drag there feet as they do with anything progressive, that wont line there pockets.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby raptorman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 am

A "dud"? Really? Let's see, I sit here day 3 with out power, they say I should have it by Sunday (that would be day 8) at the latest. And 90% of the gas stations have no gas. Miami Airport opened for limited flights today. People aren't allowed back into the Keys yet. And Yes, the damage may not be what it was hyped, but had that storm hit Miami as a 4 or 5, it would have made Houston look like pee wee hurricane.

That being said, I would like someone to explain how they can predict the temperature 100 years out to half a degree but still can't tell me when and where a Hurricane will make landfall.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
raptorman

Postby Trudge » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am

raptorman wrote:

A "dud"? Really? Let's see, I sit here day 3 with out power, they say I should have it by Sunday (that would be day 8) at the latest. And 90% of the gas stations have no gas. Miami Airport opened for limited flights today. People aren't allowed back into the Keys yet. And Yes, the damage may not be what it was hyped, but had that storm hit Miami as a 4 or 5, it would have made Houston look like pee wee hurricane.

That being said, I would like someone to explain how they can predict the temperature 100 years out to half a degree but still can't tell me when and where a Hurricane will make landfall.

I have friends down there as well, no power till Sunday at best. Sister evacuated Jax early which flooded. It's funny to see people living in Minnesota and Kentucky complaining about how the hurricane was a disappointment though. Haven't heard from Pugger yet, hope all is well down there.

To answer your question Raptor, climate science and volatile weather conditions that can change rapidly are two different things. Not really the thread for it, and I'm tired. Glad everyone took the eclipse science without question though.
Trudge

Postby texas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 am

Trudge wrote:Glad everyone took the eclipse science without question though.

Actually, I was listening to a weatherman that was lamenting about how he knew of (and had spoken with) many people the week before who just didn't believe the eclipse was going to happen. It warmed my heart to know that no matter what, there will always be people who, out of principle, just won't believe anything the authorities say. One day those type of people are going to save us all.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby raptorman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 am

Sitting on my back deck after most of the rain bands passed Sunday the wind was howling. 70 mph gusts would be my estimate. As we sat there in the dark, power had gone off at 7:23, we watched as you could see the light from power lines failing and transformers blowing. By the time it was done, according to Florida Power and light, 52,670 customers out of 56,300 customers in our county were without power. That's not people, that's homes and business's. 94%. Several of the FL key are now reporting that at least 25% of homes are destroyed. There isn't a Florida city that wasn't affected in some way by this storm. It may not be the disaster that Houston looked like, but in the long run, my bet is it will turn out to be more costly.
raptorman

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Trudge wrote:
raptorman wrote:

I have friends down there as well, no power till Sunday at best. Sister evacuated Jax early which flooded. It's funny to see people living in Minnesota and Kentucky complaining about how the hurricane was a disappointment though. Haven't heard from Pugger yet, hope all is well down there.

To answer your question Raptor, climate science and volatile weather conditions that can change rapidly are two different things. Not really the thread for it, and I'm tired. Glad everyone took the eclipse science without question though.

I was mocking the reporting, evidently you did not see the weather clown out reporting wearing the helmet and life jacket, Or the reporter reporting while driving down the street in a highly hazardous area because no street lights or stop lights, and with the camera angle you see the next block over had lights. They went out and found a dark street and then reported wide spread outages in the area and it simply was not true.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

yoop wrote:

seems to me I read that warm waters, and high humidity is a root cause of Hurricanes, and that we have witnessed increase in hurricanes the last 50 years, not much of a leap to connect it with global warming.

ya know what would be funny if not so sad, is the handful of right wing people such as yourself thinking they know better then 98% of the rest of the world, glad you don't want to be made a fool of Wally.

It's such a right wing bias against spending now to become more energy free in the future, I swear all you people have stock in the oil Industry, you'd rather destroy our land and seas to save a buck, which you and the generations to follow will pay for clean up in every sense long after oil Co's go out of business, it's a save a penny to pay a buck later thing with you guys, and foolish.

Green energy will one day replace all the jobs in the fossil fuel Industry, how many years do you want to waste to get started? it wont get any cheaper in the future to pay for the new technoligy, but the right will drag there feet as they do with anything progressive, that wont line there pockets.

Couple things yoop fossil fuel is your culprit here and oil companies are evil according to you, I have to ask do you still drive or use an internal combustion engine for any recreational activity, if you do you are as much of the problem as any evil conservative.

Second you want to blame hurricane damage on global warming, how does this explain the previous 5 years of low hurricane activity? You know property damage is up higher in the last 30 years because there are more developed properties in coastal areas right?
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby wallyuwl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:12 pm

WI was going to send several thousand National Guard troops to FL to help with hurricane clean up efforts. Several of them were my students. Now their orders have all been cancelled because the damage wasn't as bad as expected. Sure, there is damage. But we were led to believe that it would be worse than Andrew in wind damage, and as bad as Harvey for flooding. It was a dud compared to what we were led to believe it would be. Our neighbors' daughter lives there and it was a dud for her, too, compared to what they expected (they rode out the storm).

As for yoop... tell me, what evidence do you have that hurricanes are occurring at greater frequency and/or greater intensity than previously? Specifically, than about 500 years ago before the last "mini ice age"? All the commentary I've seen credits increased impact of hurricanes to more people in general, and more living near the coasts.
wallyuwl

Postby raptorman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm

wallyuwl wrote:WI was going to send several thousand National Guard troops to FL to help with hurricane clean up efforts. Several of them were my students. Now their orders have all been cancelled because the damage wasn't as bad as expected. Sure, there is damage. But we were led to believe that it would be worse than Andrew in wind damage, and as bad as Harvey for flooding. It was a dud compared to what we were led to believe it would be. Our neighbors' daughter lives there and it was a dud for her, too, compared to what they expected (they rode out the storm).

As for yoop... tell me, what evidence do you have that hurricanes are occurring at greater frequency and/or greater intensity than previously? Specifically, than about 500 years ago before the last "mini ice age"? All the commentary I've seen credits increased impact of hurricanes to more people in general, and more living near the coasts.

Current estimates are around $100 billion in damage. Andrew was $25 billion. Problem is that the damage is so widespread it's hard to see. There are still street in my area with 2 feet of water in them, some areas south the house's are still flooded out.
raptorman

Postby yoop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 pm

wallyuwl wrote:WI was going to send several thousand National Guard troops to FL to help with hurricane clean up efforts. Several of them were my students. Now their orders have all been cancelled because the damage wasn't as bad as expected. Sure, there is damage. But we were led to believe that it would be worse than Andrew in wind damage, and as bad as Harvey for flooding. It was a dud compared to what we were led to believe it would be. Our neighbors' daughter lives there and it was a dud for her, too, compared to what they expected (they rode out the storm).

seems most of the damage with Irma happened before hitting Florida, which it was explained that Cooler air currents weaken'd and deverted it's path, so you could say it was a dud compared to what was predicted, but I would think it would be hard to predict such a large mass of moisture revolving at such high speed, air current isn't stable over water, you aught to know that if you ever fished, or boated, you go through temperature changes all the time, and I'd expect you can muiltiply that ten fold in that storm.

It's not just N America thats seen major storms in the last number of years, Sunommi's, Tornado's, Hurricanes have been going on all over the globe.

Obviously global population is what we are talking about, more people= more carbon emissions, more polution, my point is we need to phase in Green Energy at a faster pace, obviously it will take years, and we'll keep using fossil fuels till the switch is complete, imo the sooner that happens the better off we will all be, cept for you bitches that have all your stocks invested with BP :lol:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13