What did you do this sunday?

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

What did you do this sunday?

Postby wallyuwl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:46 am

Normally I would sit in front of the tv all day and watch the NFL, even though the packers didnt play today.

Instead, I mowed the lawn for 45 min. then worked on my SUV for four hours. Put on a new throttle body, new oxygen sensor, new sway bar link ends, adjusted snd lubed the hood latch that was squeaking, and fixed a window rattle. Then drove up to Appleton and went to Costco, made and ate dinner, and watched recorded episode of Designated Survivor. The NFL used to get 10 to 12 hours of my Sunday, even if the packers were not playing.
wallyuwl

Re: What did you do this sunday?

Postby HeavyD » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 am

Went to church - Brew City Church in MKE. Handled offering and sold a few t-shirts. Hustled home, ate a quick lunch and cycled 45 miles west from my place in Caledonia to west of Lyons, Wisconsin to Northwinds Perennial Farm, met my wife who drove out, grabbed a burger at joint called Jackson's Hole, came home, had a couple high ABV brews and played Backgammon with my wife. Great day.

And yup...a few years ago I would have watched football.
HeavyD

Postby RightScreen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

wallyuwl wrote:Normally I would sit in front of the tv all day and watch the NFL, even though the packers didnt play today.

Instead, I mowed the lawn for 45 min. then worked on my SUV for four hours. Put on a new throttle body, new oxygen sensor, new sway bar link ends, adjusted snd lubed the hood latch that was squeaking, and fixed a window rattle. Then drove up to Appleton and went to Costco, made and ate dinner, and watched recorded episode of Designated Survivor. The NFL used to get 10 to 12 hours of my Sunday, even if the packers were not playing.

Took a trip with loved ones. Had a great time. Walked the dogs. I haven't seen a minute of football this weekend, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Very liberating, actually.

Used to watch Thursday + all Sunday + Monday, and of course every Packers game. None now.
RightScreen

Postby wallyuwl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:43 am

RightScreen wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:Normally I would sit in front of the tv all day and watch the NFL, even though the packers didnt play today.

Took a trip with loved ones. Had a great time. Walked the dogs. I haven't seen a minute of football this weekend, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Very liberating, actually.

Used to watch Thursday + all Sunday + Monday, and of course every Packers game. None now.

I went to the green bay southwest vs bay port game friday night, and watched the badgers yesterday. No NFL today, and only watched half the packers game thursday.
wallyuwl

Postby salmar80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:31 am

Went out to see autumny Finland with my sis & her friend. Then traveled to Helsinki, edited some photos, bought and hauled a mirror and lamp for my new flat. Then watched our divisional rivals play to assess their level of play.

I don't feel as involved watching other teams, but sometimes it's nice to watch without having emotions in play, in a more analytical way. The anthem thing didn't register, but when watching other teams, I do realize how damn many commercials there are. With Packer games, you can pass them posting.

Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
salmar80

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 pm

I can't believe the players killed the NFL, shame on them.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby The Lyricist » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Let me get this straight: Some of you folks are boycotting the NFL because you don't like players protesting social injustice and exposing the idiocy of a fishmonger president?

As a Marxist, I am all for not feeding fat capitalists anymore, but getting upset over the just, peaceful protests of players "fighting the good fight" is a little hoodwinked.
He said I'm gonna buy a gun and start a war
If you can tell me something worth fighting for
The Lyricist

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 pm

The Lyricist wrote:Let me get this straight: Some of you folks are boycotting the NFL because you don't like players protesting social injustice and exposing the idiocy of a fishmonger president?

As a Marxist, I am all for not feeding fat capitalists anymore, but getting upset over the just, peaceful protests of players "fighting the good fight" is a little hoodwinked.

The issue has nothing to do with Trump, the players and media would like it to be perceived that way but it simply is not true.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby salmar80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
The Lyricist wrote:Let me get this straight: Some of you folks are boycotting the NFL because you don't like players protesting social injustice and exposing the idiocy of a fishmonger president?

The issue has nothing to do with Trump, the players and media would like it to be perceived that way but it simply is not true.

Really? It was individual players demonstrating before Trump got into it. Blew up league-wide instantly after his "owners should fire demonstrating players" -speech. Fact. Sad.
salmar80

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

My point is Trumps words had nothing to do with the people that are pissed at the protests, they were pissed before Trump said anything, if anything the the players reaction to Trumps words have had more effect than what Trump said.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby salmar80 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:My point is Trumps words had nothing to do with the people that are pissed at the protests, they were pissed before Trump said anything, if anything the the players reaction to Trumps words have had more effect than what Trump said.

That sure sounds like blaming the guy who takes offense at being shown the middle finger, and not the one flashing it. :wink:

These are teammates. Proud professionals in a sport where careers are short anyways. Teams stick together, teammates support each other. Trump asking to fire some teammates was sure to piss about every player off.

Which probably was his intention. He sure thrives on division and conflict, as long as it pleases his base.
salmar80

Postby Trudge » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 pm

I watched football, drank beer and had a fire.
Trudge

Postby Charon21 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 pm

I seized some means-of-production and punched a few Natsees -- the usual. :8)
Charon21

Postby wallyuwl » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 pm

salmar80 wrote:
Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:My point is Trumps words had nothing to do with the people that are pissed at the protests, they were pissed before Trump said anything, if anything the the players reaction to Trumps words have had more effect than what Trump said.

That sure sounds like blaming the guy who takes offense at being shown the middle finger, and not the one flashing it. :wink:

These are teammates. Proud professionals in a sport where careers are short anyways. Teams stick together, teammates support each other. Trump asking to fire some teammates was sure to piss about every player off.

Not to keep down this road, because that wasn't the intent of me creating this thread. But this sounds a lot to me like the players were merely protesting that Trump called them out, which most fans agree with (maybe not how he did it, but most fans agree the players shouldn't be protesting during the anthem). Of course I said from the start that the protests the past two weeks were about Trump, and not the supposed original cause of police brutality. Or was it racial inequality? Or was it the federal govt's (good, in some cases exceptional) response to the hurricanes?
wallyuwl

Postby Stevedore » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I worked a double shift on the docks following the games/bets :8) on my phone all day and evening.
We Are America's Team!!
Stevedore

Next

Return to The Podium - PG13