Las Vegas

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Las Vegas

Postby wallyuwl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:10 pm

mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.



What's wrong with that?
User avatar
wallyuwl
 
Posts: 12256
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 am

mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby texas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 am

APB wrote:
mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image


Yeah, his statement has been debunked numerous times, including many times by journalists trying to prove it.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
User avatar
texas
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Las Vegas

Postby mike » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:16 am

texas wrote:
APB wrote:
mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image


Yeah, his statement has been debunked numerous times, including many times by journalists trying to prove it.


really, any criminal can buy a gun in 14 states without so much as a drivers license, no picture ID of any sort, no birth certificate,no proof of insurance just try and do any of those 3 without them.
Image
mike
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm

mike wrote:
texas wrote:
APB wrote:
mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image


Yeah, his statement has been debunked numerous times, including many times by journalists trying to prove it.


really, any criminal can buy a gun in 14 states without so much as a drivers license, no picture ID of any sort, no birth certificate,no proof of insurance just try and do any of those 3 without them.

Without you linking any proof to this statement I'll just dismiss it as yet another falsehood of yours. Another in a long, long line of falsehoods, I might add.
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby raptorman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 pm

mike wrote:
texas wrote:
APB wrote:
mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image


Yeah, his statement has been debunked numerous times, including many times by journalists trying to prove it.


really, any criminal can buy a gun in 14 states without so much as a drivers license, no picture ID of any sort, no birth certificate,no proof of insurance just try and do any of those 3 without them.


What crock. Name the 14 states. Now, can I sell my bother my gun without an ID? Sure. Can I sell one to a friend without an ID? Sure.

Can you sell your car to a drunk driver without looking at his Drivers license? Yes. Wait, it's not the same right? Because cars aren't designed to kill people. Yet they kill more innocent people each year than guns do. Let's put automobile sales on the same standard as gun sales. After all, wouldn't saving 10,000 lives a year from drunk drivers be worth it? Or how about a breathalyzer in each car that one has to blow into before it's started each time. Only about $350 per vehicle. And it would cause insurance rates to go down as well. Would almost eliminate drunk drivers.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
User avatar
raptorman
 
Posts: 6302
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: Sunny east coast of FL.

Re: Las Vegas

Postby mike » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 am

raptorman wrote:
mike wrote:
texas wrote:
APB wrote:
mike wrote:It's easier to buy a gun in this country, then it is to vote, buy a car, get a marriage license.

I've done all three, repeatedly, and I can testify this statement is patently false.

When will you learn these type statements do nothing to further your argument?

Image


Yeah, his statement has been debunked numerous times, including many times by journalists trying to prove it.


really, any criminal can buy a gun in 14 states without so much as a drivers license, no picture ID of any sort, no birth certificate,no proof of insurance just try and do any of those 3 without them.


What crock. Name the 14 states. Now, can I sell my bother my gun without an ID? Sure. Can I sell one to a friend without an ID? Sure.

Can you sell your car to a drunk driver without looking at his Drivers license? Yes. Wait, it's not the same right? Because cars aren't designed to kill people. Yet they kill more innocent people each year than guns do. Let's put automobile sales on the same standard as gun sales. After all, wouldn't saving 10,000 lives a year from drunk drivers be worth it? Or how about a breathalyzer in each car that one has to blow into before it's started each time. Only about $350 per vehicle. And it would cause insurance rates to go down as well. Would almost eliminate drunk drivers.


you keep derailing the thread to explain a topic that has nothing at all to do with this topic, stiffer gun regs, I already brought the states up once, I brought a article detailing how crooks by guns, I also brought one from a politician that has fought Indiana regs because most of the recovered crime guns in Chicago are purchased there, so why bring articles you don't believe or even bother to read, so NRA of you to switch the topic to auto accidents, how many people buy a car to kill someone? people need cars to perform daily task, no one needs a assault weapon or high capacity mags.

and private gun sales, specially hand gun sales is a huge problem, lis theres at least a doz states that don't require dealers to be licensed, and they sell guns without back ground checks, just go look it up for yourself, if you can prove me wrong, I'll eat the crow., but lets stick to the topic.
Image
mike
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 am

The very first sentence of the ATFs Do I Need A Federal License to Buy and Sell Firearms debunks you latest nonsense:

Mike wrote:lis theres at least a doz states that dont require dealers to be licensed


The federal Gun Control Act (GCA) requires that persons who are engaged in the business of dealing in firearms be licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).


:roll:
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby mike » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:43 pm

APB wrote:The very first sentence of the ATFs Do I Need A Federal License to Buy and Sell Firearms debunks you latest nonsense:

Mike wrote:lis theres at least a doz states that dont require dealers to be licensed


The federal Gun Control Act (GCA) requires that persons who are engaged in the business of dealing in firearms be licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).


:roll:


he mass shooting is Las Vegas has brought fresh attention to the lax gun laws in Nevada, which allow people to buy and own their firearms without a background check, license, or weapon registration.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37141-s ... n-law-maps

7 worst
October 04, 2017

guns for sale

Most gun-related legislation happens on the state level. | Spencer Platt/Getty Images

To say that gun laws are a contentious issue in the United States is putting it mildly. When asked whether the government should protect Americans’ Second Amendment right to bear arms or focus on controlling gun ownership, people in the U.S. are split roughly 50-50, with the pro-gun rights contingent having a slight edge, according to a 2015 Pew Research survey. Whatever their position, most respondents had a strong opinion on the question. About 91% of people who wanted to protect gun rights felt strongly about the issue, while 81% of people were just as firm in their feelings that we need more gun control.
See Recipe for Easy Taco Skillet

Whether you’re hoping for increased restrictions on firearms or want more pro-gun legislation, you’ll want to take a close look at what’s happening in each state. Though occasional efforts to change federal gun laws get a lot of attention, most of America’s gun legislation happens on a state-by-state basis. Some states have adopted more stringent gun control measures, while others have been moving to liberalize gun laws, making it easier for people to carry weapons in public places, for example.

The result is a patchwork of legislation, with gun laws that are constantly in flux. Determining who has the strictest and loosest gun laws isn’t a straightforward task. Nonetheless, several organizations track and monitor state laws on guns.

We looked at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s 2016 Gun Law State Scorecard, Guns & Ammo’s 2015 ranking of the best states for gun owners, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence’s State Scorecard, and the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action. Based on that information, the following seven states have some of the fewest restrictions on guns in the U.S.

1. Arizona
woman with gun

Arizona is one of the most gun-friendly states. | Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

In Arizona, there are few restrictions on gun ownership and sales. You don’t need a permit to purchase a handgun or rifle. The state doesn’t require ownership registration. And you can carry a handgun, either concealed or openly, without a permit. Those and other factors earned it the top spot on Guns & Ammo’s list of gun-friendly states. It ranked 47 out of 50 (with 50 being the weakest gun laws) on the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s state scorecard.

2. Alaska
Byers Lake, Alaska, is the closest view to Denali

There are no waiting periods on gun purchases in Alaska. | mbarrettimages/iStock/Getty Images

Alaska residents can carry a gun openly or concealed without a permit. Local governments don’t have the authority to regulate firearms. And there are no limits on the number of guns you can purchase at once or waiting periods before gun purchases, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Few gun restrictions combined with a strong hunting culture earned Alaska the No. 3 spot on Guns & Ammo’s list of states friendliest to gun owners. The state has the second loosest gun laws in the country, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

3. Wyoming
Jackson, Wyoming

You don’t need a concealed-carry permit in Wyoming. | Town of Jackson via Facebook

Wyoming’s loose gun laws earned the state an “F” rating on the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s state scorecard. (It’s one of 26 states that received a failing grade from the organization.) You may carry a concealed weapon without a permit. The state is one of the few that do not have a law requiring information about mentally ill individuals to be reported the National Instant Criminal Background Check System or an in-state database. In early 2017, Wyoming’s governor vetoed a bill that would have allowed concealed carry at government meetings. But he signed into law a measure that allows schools to decide whether employees can carry weapons.

4. Vermont
man carrying guns

People as young as 16 can buy a gun in Vermont. | Dominick Reuter/AFP/Getty Images

Vermont has a reputation as a liberal state, but it bucks blue state trends when it comes to gun laws. It’s the second most gun-friendly state in the U.S., according to Guns & Ammo. And recent efforts to impose more restrictions on guns have been met with strong opposition. It’s the only state where people as young as 16 can purchase certain types of guns, and there are no laws that prevent people from bringing guns into places of worship, bars or restaurants where alcohol is served, or polling places. Unlike most other states in the Northeast, there’s also no law regulating firearm sales at gun shows.

5. Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas

Public employees may carry guns while working in Kansas. | Explore Lawrence via Facebook

“Kansas has become one of the strongest states for gun owners in the nation,” according to Guns & Ammo. The state doesn’t require a permit to carry a concealed firearm; open carry is also legal. Public employees (except those who work for schools) are now permitted to carry concealed weapons while working. Gun buyback programs funded by taxpayers are prohibited. And students are allowed to carry concealed weapons on campuses of public universities and colleges. The state ranked 48 out of 50 on the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s state scorecard.

6. Kentucky
NRA annual meeting

You need a permit to carry a handgun in Kentucky. | Scott Olson/Getty Images

Kentucky ranked fifth on Guns & Ammo’s list of firearm-friendly states. Unlike some states on this list, you do need a permit to carry a handgun in the Bluegrass State, but state law requires a permit to be issued to anyone who fulfills the basic requirements. Kentucky doesn’t have laws banning people convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors or subject to domestic violence protective orders from possessing firearms (though federal law does prohibit them from owning guns).
7. Mississippi
Welcome to Mississippi

The state doesn’t license firearms dealers. | Meinzahn/iStock/Getty Images

Mississippi ranked dead last on the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s state scorecard, and the state has recently loosened some of its restrictions on guns. Permits aren’t required to carry a firearm, either openly or concealed, and the state reduced conceal carry permit fees for those who do wish to obtain them. The state also doesn’t license or heavily regulate firearms dealers.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/stat ... ?a=viewall

this one concerning Indiana guns ending up in Chicago bought from non licensed dealers at Indiana gun shows explains the loop holes used to sell black market guns

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/unlice ... convicted/
Image
mike
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Great, you've shown that apparently some states are more relaxed than others when it comes to gun OWNERSHIP laws. However, nothing in that article addresses this statement by you:

Mike wrote:lis theres at least a doz states that dont require dealers to be licensed


This, as I said, is completely false. There is not a single state in the union that does not fall under the aforementioned Federal Gun Control Act and thus require gun DEALERS to be registered.

Not unlike you accuse Wally, you're once again moving the goalposts and changing the debate parameters. Take your own advice and stick to the topic at hand.
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:31 pm

By the way, here is the bio of the author of the article you brought from that online magazine, Inverse. It sounds like she's every bit as qualified to write and opine on the subject as you are. That is, when she's not spending her time chasing cute puppies... :roll:

Paige is a technology & innovation intern studying journalism at Northwestern University. Hailing from New Jersey, she can usually be found playing pick-up soccer or chasing cute dogs. She has done work with USA Today, ProPublica Illinois, PIX11 News and her student paper, The Daily Northwestern. You can reach out to her at paige.leskin@inverse.com.


Image
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby mike » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:35 pm

APB wrote:Great, you've shown that apparently some states are more relaxed than others when it comes to gun OWNERSHIP laws. However, nothing in that article addresses this statement by you:

Mike wrote:lis theres at least a doz states that dont require dealers to be licensed


This, as I said, is completely false. There is not a single state in the union that does not fall under the aforementioned Federal Gun Control Act and thus require gun DEALERS to be registered.

Not unlike you accuse Wally, you're once again moving the goalposts and changing the debate parameters. Take your own advice and stick to the topic at hand.


some states? about 30 states allow private sale at gun shows with practically zero restrictions, so just because state law requires registration of dealers, it skirts the laws of the state with these loop holes, if you are a crook or can't pass a fed back ground check, then you simply go to one of the thousands of gun shows and buy from private dealers.

simply looking at state and federal law to win this argument is less then a half truth when you look at these loop holes, which has been the basis of my argument all along.

In 32 states, there are currently no laws — federal or state — regulating firearms sales between private individuals at gun shows.

https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-show-laws-by-state-721345
Image
mike
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Las Vegas

Postby APB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:19 pm

But that's not what you said. You specifically said dealers are not required to be licensed. Dealers are not the private sellers you are now bemoaning and are not held to the licensing standard.

Quit moving the goalposts.
User avatar
APB
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Las Vegas

Postby raptorman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:36 am

mike wrote:
APB wrote:Great, you've shown that apparently some states are more relaxed than others when it comes to gun OWNERSHIP laws. However, nothing in that article addresses this statement by you:

Mike wrote:lis theres at least a doz states that dont require dealers to be licensed


This, as I said, is completely false. There is not a single state in the union that does not fall under the aforementioned Federal Gun Control Act and thus require gun DEALERS to be registered.

Not unlike you accuse Wally, you're once again moving the goalposts and changing the debate parameters. Take your own advice and stick to the topic at hand.


some states? about 30 states allow private sale at gun shows with practically zero restrictions, so just because state law requires registration of dealers, it skirts the laws of the state with these loop holes, if you are a crook or can't pass a fed back ground check, then you simply go to one of the thousands of gun shows and buy from private dealers.

simply looking at state and federal law to win this argument is less then a half truth when you look at these loop holes, which has been the basis of my argument all along.

In 32 states, there are currently no laws — federal or state — regulating firearms sales between private individuals at gun shows.

https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-show-laws-by-state-721345

Did you know that most gun show promoters don't allow private sellers? I know the ones I go to here in FL don't. If you don't have a Federal Firearm license you are not allowed in the doors to sell.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
User avatar
raptorman
 
Posts: 6302
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:33 pm
Location: Sunny east coast of FL.

Re: Las Vegas

Postby mike » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:51 pm

you'd think by the time your 80 and live in gun wack Tennessee fondling your side arm each night instead of your wife ya'd know if the damn thing has a chambered round, apparently not this dumb as s, this would be funny if not so tragic, he could have killed someone

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-accident ... 00182.html
Image
mike
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron