USMNt

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: USMNt

Postby renatusvestifex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Soccer is the most influential sport in the world. Soon it will also take over the US thx to the Latinos. :) I like soccer more because it's more fluid. I am a big Liverpool FC fan and boy there's nothing better than watching a soccer game where u are emotionally involved, but also it is fun to watch other soccer games, I even watch women games once in a while, the game flow is just nice. Am. Football, even Rugby, is unbearable to watch if you have no emotions attached, it's just like watching a movie with a very low frame rate: no flow, all these breaks, and then all these f*cking commercials. :roll: I could never ever just watch Chiefs vs. Baltimore for fun. I can only watch Packers games or games that affect my Packers (then I root for the team that needs to win to help to improve the chances of the Packers).

It's a completely different culture I guess. I attended some Cowboys games and boy, in the stadium it's actually worse, because in the breaks you see all kind of entertainment that make the game look like the filler for all those things, but maybe Lambeau is different. Americans seem more relaxed sports fans in general, they go to these events to have fun and be with family and friends, we Euopeans go there focused to push our team.

Of course all that changes if you bet some money, but that's a different topic. BTW: Baseball is the worst of all. In fact the only good thing out of Baseball is its bat that is kind of the natural self protection weapon in Europe (because we don't have gun access). :)
renatusvestifex

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Back to Back World War Champions and who's flag is on the moon? Not a country that loves soccer. Soccer is a cute little game but if 3rd world countries excel at it I am not watching it.
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Soccer is bad and its fans should feel bad
Charon21

Postby renatusvestifex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Charon21 wrote:Soccer is bad and its fans should feel bad

Sounds like you are the ghostwriter for Donald's Twitter account. :lol:
renatusvestifex

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 pm

renatusvestifex wrote:

renat's posting-history on pn.net has been a DISASTER. Mods do nothing! Time for permaban??
Charon21

Postby APB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Charon21 wrote:
renatusvestifex wrote:

renat's posting-history on pn.net has been a DISASTER. Mods do nothing! Time for permaban??

It's Ban Hammer...get it right.

APB

Postby Papa John » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

salmar80 wrote:
Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
salmar80 wrote:Watching soccer with it's one commercial break (halftime) is sometimes relaxing. I get through football games by posting and reading comments during the ads, the constant, incessant ads... How many damn trucks and scary AF side-effects to prescription medication can there be!!!

You are aware of the basic concepts in difference between football and soccer. Football runs plays that require a huddle to explain the play, then there is the line up and reading the defense and changing plays based on coverage, football is based on stop and start and player changes.

The commercials and ads generate revenue for the league, makes network broadcasts possible.

Or football players are so slow of mind, they need to stop to get each play explained to them ;)

If you follow soccer, you'll know lining up, reading the D, getting in formation and deciding and timing passing and running routes is exactly what soccer teams do when passing the ball between defenders and midfielders. Also taking a relative breather.

Look, I'm not gonna say soccer is the superior sport. I can see why it's boring for many. But the fervent opposition to it is more weird nationalism than anything to do with sports. They're so different it's utter nonsense they share the name. Comparing football and rugby makes some sense, football vs soccer is kinda futile.

Frankly, I don't see why I should pick one or the other. I follow both + hockey + random other sports in spurts.

Nationalism? Is soccer not the most nationalistic sport on the planet?
Papa John

Postby salmar80 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Papa John wrote:Nationalism? Is soccer not the most nationalistic sport on the planet?

Yes and no.

There are clubs with a tremendous following all over the world, the likes of Manchester United, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern München, etc. Not very nationalistic of you for your favorite team to be far abroad. Also, all top teams have players from all over: Real Madrid's and Barcelona's rosters both include players from 9 different countries.

In domestic league and international matches, the national anthem is usually played as an intro as the camera pans the faces of the players. But in Champion's League games featuring the best of the best teams, they don't even play national hymns of the teams, but the anthem of said league which even has lyrics mixing English, French and German. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9LUNB-JsM

When the World Cup rolls around, it's like the Olympics of team sports, and nationalism sure is a big part of it. But the Cup games have a big following in countries whose teams didn't even make it to the tournament. 2014 World Cup final had a TV audience of over 1 billion, and countries playing only have 127M in combined population. So most viewers had no dog (country) in the game.

EDIT: And yes, I know about "the Football War", and also that it wasn't about soccer.
Comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought
salmar80

Postby raptorman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 am

salmar80 wrote:
Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
salmar80 wrote:Watching soccer with it's one commercial break (halftime) is sometimes relaxing. I get through football games by posting and reading comments during the ads, the constant, incessant ads... How many damn trucks and scary AF side-effects to prescription medication can there be!!!

You are aware of the basic concepts in difference between football and soccer. Football runs plays that require a huddle to explain the play, then there is the line up and reading the defense and changing plays based on coverage, football is based on stop and start and player changes.

The commercials and ads generate revenue for the league, makes network broadcasts possible.

Or football players are so slow of mind, they need to stop to get each play explained to them ;)

If you follow soccer, you'll know lining up, reading the D, getting in formation and deciding and timing passing and running routes is exactly what soccer teams do when passing the ball between defenders and midfielders. Also taking a relative breather.

Look, I'm not gonna say soccer is the superior sport. I can see why it's boring for many. But the fervent opposition to it is more weird nationalism than anything to do with sports. They're so different it's utter nonsense they share the name. Comparing football and rugby makes some sense, football vs soccer is kinda futile.

Frankly, I don't see why I should pick one or the other. I follow both + hockey + random other sports in spurts.

Your wasting your time trying to explain Soccer to most Americans. They don't see the possibility that they actual run plays designed to get certain people into scoring potion. To them its just a bunch of people running up and down the field and every once and a while they get lucky with someone in the right spot.
The government has never had a power it did not abuse.
raptorman

Postby Carl Gerbschmidt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:19 pm

How else would one explain those riveting 1-0 tilts?
Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby wallyuwl » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:How else would one explain those riveting 1-0 tilts?

After an additional 50 minutes of overtime.
wallyuwl

Postby BF004 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 pm

BF004

Postby renatusvestifex » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:33 pm

raptorman wrote:To them its just a bunch of people running up and down the field and every once and a while they get lucky with someone in the right spot.

Sounds like Ice Hockey and that is a major sport in your country, isn't it?
renatusvestifex

Postby dirty sanchez » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 pm

renatusvestifex wrote:
raptorman wrote:To them its just a bunch of people running up and down the field and every once and a while they get lucky with someone in the right spot.

Sounds like Ice Hockey and that is a major sport in your country, isn't it?
Mostly in Canada. But at least you get to see hitting and good fights.
dirty sanchez

Postby HeavyD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:Tex you know that the kids that play soccer are the kids that can't make the baseball team or the kids who's parents won't let them play football.

LOL and now the kids that can't make the soccer team play lacrosse.
HeavyD

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13