Rodgers Injury: Podium

This forum is for discussion of political topics, and other serious non-football related debates. Please start these topics here, or they will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Rodgers Injury: Podium

Postby wallyuwl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:18 am

Few people think it should be illegal for players or anyone to not stand for the anthem. Many people think it is distespectful. The leaps you are making about those people are astounding and themselves illogical. Oh, and another claim the star spangled banner is racist. Im still waiting for someone who claims that to provide a detailed explanation specifying how it is.
wallyuwl

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 am

Opposing Trump and Kaep both is not making any side happy. If they want ratings to recover, they had better pick a side and pick clearly.

As it so happens...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ho ... litically/
Charon21

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 am

wallyuwl wrote:Few people think it should be illegal for players or anyone to not stand for the anthem. Many people think it is distespectful. The leaps you are making about those people are astounding and themselves illogical. Oh, and another claim the star spangled banner is racist. Im still waiting for someone who claims that to provide a detailed explanation specifying how it is.

Right, they "only" want people who do not want to be party to jingoism to lose their livelihood under the pressure of an inept government official, not to receive official punishment. Very different.
Charon21

Postby wallyuwl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 am

Charon21 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:Few people think it should be illegal for players or anyone to not stand for the anthem. Many people think it is distespectful. The leaps you are making about those people are astounding and themselves illogical. Oh, and another claim the star spangled banner is racist. Im still waiting for someone who claims that to provide a detailed explanation specifying how it is.

Right, they "only" want people who do not want to be party to jingoism to lose their livelihood under the pressure of an inept government official, not to receive official punishment. Very different.

Another example of failed reading comprehension. Or just intellectual dishonesty.
wallyuwl

Postby Papa John » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 am

Charon21 wrote:
Papa John wrote:If it's about police brutality, how about getting active in communities across the country?

https://twitter.com/jelani9/status/909204544894259201
https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/stat ... 9585424384

Oh, but lemme guess: not the "right" kind of activism?

I have no idea what the "right" kind of activism would be because nobody knows what the protest is about. Yoop has claimed it's about police-minority relations. How does taking a knee or linking arms help relations between police and minorities? Like I said in the rest of my last post, it makes them worse.
Papa John

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:47 am

wallyuwl wrote:
Charon21 wrote:

Another example of failed reading comprehension. Or just intellectual dishonesty.

If you have a point to make, then make it.

Trump said to fire them in AL. Then he more recently said suspend them (which still costs them paychecks), probably because it was pointed out to him that there are laws against elected-officials trying to pressure private business into firing employees over political views. If it's not to make it illegal, if it's not to fire them, if it's not to suspend them, then...?
Charon21

Postby Charon21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 am

Fathom the mind of men who are angered by exercising 1A rights as "disrespectful" but vote for a draft-dodger who shat on the military-record of a former POW and made insensitive remarks towards at least one Gold Star family.
Charon21

Postby texas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 am

Charon21 wrote:Opposing Trump and Kaep both is not making any side happy. If they want ratings to recover, they had better pick a side and pick clearly.

As it so happens...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ho ... litically/

Oh you mean analysis based on a poll by SurveyMonkey, the online polling outfit that told us Hillary had a 13 point lead over Trump?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Look at those huge "didn't answer" numbers. Add those to GOP and you'll get the actual results.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby texas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 am

Charon21 wrote:Fathom the mind of men who are angered by exercising 1A rights as "disrespectful" but vote for a draft-dodger who shat on the military-record of a former POW and made insensitive remarks towards at least one Gold Star family.

If you want to "fathom the mind", I'll try to explain it.

People on the right are much less likely to view an attack on a supposed fellow representative of an arbitrary class as an attack on the entire class' membership.

In other words, say you have a group of painters. When you attack one of them on something arbitrary "wow his hair is terrible!", a leftist painter thinks "oh my gosh he is attacking me and everything I stand for!", whereas a right wing painter thinks "wow he insulted that guy."

The right wing is starting to get more tribalistic, but we're nowhere near the same level as the left yet.

The other thing is, Trump's insensitive words are nowhere near enough to get anyone to vote for Hillary. It's not like "oh Trump said some mean things, guess I'll vote against all my interests and the interests of our country and vote for Hillary". People can vote for a guy who has better policies, despite said guy being a boor.

Voting for someone who violates your own personal standards doesn't then invalidate those standards. It just means you picked who, of the given 2 options, you thought would be the best choice.
Suck it Bears.
Roger Goodell Phone: 212-450-2027
texas

Postby mike » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:10 am

texas wrote:
Charon21 wrote:Fathom the mind of men who are angered by exercising 1A rights as "disrespectful" but vote for a draft-dodger who shat on the military-record of a former POW and made insensitive remarks towards at least one Gold Star family.

If you want to "fathom the mind", I'll try to explain it.

People on the right are much less likely to view an attack on a supposed fellow representative of an arbitrary class as an attack on the entire class' membership.

In other words, say you have a group of painters. When you attack one of them on something arbitrary "wow his hair is terrible!", a leftist painter thinks "oh my gosh he is attacking me and everything I stand for!", whereas a right wing painter thinks "wow he insulted that guy."

The right wing is starting to get more tribalistic, but we're nowhere near the same level as the left yet.

The other thing is, Trump's insensitive words are nowhere near enough to get anyone to vote for Hillary. It's not like "oh Trump said some mean things, guess I'll vote against all my interests and the interests of our country and vote for Hillary". People can vote for a guy who has better policies, despite said guy being a boor.

Voting for someone who violates your own personal standards doesn't then invalidate those standards. It just means you picked who, of the given 2 options, you thought would be the best choice.

get serious, about 35% of the country think like you, the rest think the man and his policy's suck, lousy health plan, and a tax plan that doesn't address the working class, and he's done more to divide the country and ruin foriegn relations then any president in the last 50 years,. cripes most his own party don't like him or trust him, Hillary would have been a much better president, even with her warts, Trump will go down in history as one of our worst ever presidents, keep dreaming.
mike

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

To be fair, a 35% approval rating does not mean 65% think his policies stink. Like I said, Obama's average was generally around 40-45. Trumps average is around 40.

I've stated this several times and yet you just keep regurgitating the same drivel.

And pretty much the only approval rating that will matter will be in October/November 2019.
BF004

Postby RightScreen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Trump is exercising his 1A rights. Cry more!
RightScreen

Postby Charon21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 pm

texas wrote:If you want to "fathom the mind", I'll try to explain it.

And yet, countless people on the Right made out his protest to (wrongly) be an attack on all military. Not only did the protest have F-all to do with military, he actually switched from sitting to kneeling on the advice of a veteran to be more respectful.

Also, your analogy does not work. Hair(!) is different between every given person. McCain's experience of getting captured is what all POWs go through. Trump could attack McCain's record as a Senator and I'd probably agree with him 9 times out of 10; McCain is an awful, war-mongering neocon. Attacking his service? That's not only stupid (no point), but quite flatly disrespectful towards POWs.

Sure, I can buy that Trump said it because the guy just throws the kitchen-sink at anyone who says even the slightest critical thing to him (which speaks to bigger issues with the guy), but you cannot -- logically -- use something as an insult if you respect it. If you respect it, you use it as the opposite (praise), or at least view it as off-limits for attacking a guy.

I get why people vote the way they do in the general-election, but to some degree, you really do have to violate your personal standards to participate in the process. Rarely will the system produce (viable) candidates who are great representatives of society's views.

Besides, I'm fairly certain the McCain comments came very early on, when there were still many options to choose from (primaries on both sides of the aisle).
Charon21

Postby Mendeleev » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:04 pm

BF004 wrote:To be fair, a 35% approval rating does not mean 65% think his policies stink. Like I said, Obama's average was generally around 40-45. Trumps average is around 40.

I've stated this several times and yet you just keep regurgitating the same drivel.

And pretty much the only approval rating that will matter will be in October/November 2019.

2020, and second of all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

In which specific poll was Trump averaging 40 and Obama averaging 40-45. I doubt that both those results came from the same polling company.
Mendeleev

Postby BF004 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Mendeleev wrote:
BF004 wrote:To be fair, a 35% approval rating does not mean 65% think his policies stink. Like I said, Obama's average was generally around 40-45. Trumps average is around 40.

2020, and second of all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

In which specific poll was Trump averaging 40 and Obama averaging 40-45. I doubt that both those results came from the same polling company.

RCP average which has been talked about at length already.

38.9 favorable today.

Thanks for the usual random pop in and contribution.
BF004

PreviousNext

Return to The Podium - PG13