Packers win the Super Bowl Mock

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Packers win the Super Bowl Mock

Postby lupethefiasco » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:21 am

Obviously we are going to win the Super Bowl this year so we go into the draft picking at 32.

Pre-Draft:
Retires:
Julius Peppers- Walks off into the sunset with his ring.

Players cut:
Sam Shields- With the Packers move to pull Dorleant off and not Shields says it all about the Packers thoughts on Shields. He lays his head down at night and risks a concussion on the pillow. He would save us 9 million.
Demetri Goodson- Pretty bad injury ended his season. Also some pretty bad play.
James Starks- Theres just not much left in him.

Extensions:
HaHa Clinton-Dix- 4 years, 32mil; 8mil/year I think is his range. Its an extension so usually theres a discount to taking a raise before free agency. Worse players like Barron and Bryd make more but they were signed in FA.

Resigns:
Eddie Lacey- 1 year, 4mil; A one year prove it deal on par with the likes of Forte, Gore, and Ingram. A subpar overweight year and he was injured this year. No one is going to pay him.
Jared Cook- 3 years, 12mil- Oft injured this year and a past of struggling I doubt he has a market. Hes also turning 30 in April.
Nick Perry- 4 years, 28mil- I feel 7mil/season is about right for him. Hes also been oft injured and even this year breaking out he still broke his hand and missed time.
Christine Michael- 2 years, 2mil- I think even this is high. Is apparent not many teams have interest in him. I doubt he could find anything more than a year deal.
Brett Goode- 1 year, 800,000- Pretty much makes the same. Hes been very consistent. His name never comes up for bad snaps.
Jayrone Elliot- 2 years, 4 mil- I think we keep him around. This is probably more than he deserves but we overpaid Neal to to keep him. He makes plays when hes in there and we need the depth in this one with other guys leaving.
Joe Thomas- 2 years, 2mil- He got some valuable experience this year. Im not really a fan but he is solid depth.
Jacob Schum- 3 years, 2mil- He was an upgrade. After a shaky start hes actually been solid.
Geronimo Allison- 2 years, 4mil- Its very clear how the coaches feel about Allison placing him as the 3rd guy when Cobb was out over Janis, Davis, and cutting Abby earlier in the year.

Players walking:
TJ Lang- Great player for us but unfortunately costs too much and is up there in age. Will net us a 4th in compensatory.
Datone Jones- Theres no point in giving him a prove it deal if theres nothing to prove. He never fit in a 3-4 defense as an end or a backer.
JC Tretter- He just cant make it through a season. Hes a good player but hes always hurt. Linsley is just as good, if not better.
Don Barclay- Good riddance and have a nice life.
Micah Hyde- I just think someone is going to give Micah a deal and more of a role than we are. I could be wrong here but I think he finds something.
Mike Pennel- He has some issues he needs to clean up in his personal life affecting his professional life.

Compensatory picks earned:
5th Casey Hayward, 7th for Scott Tolzein. I could see Hayward maybe going up to a 5th for him making the pro bowl but most likely a 5th.

FA/Draft
Needs;
CB is the most glaring need going into the draft. I would bet a ton that Shields isnt back as stated above. TT really blew it with the Randall and Rollins picks. Theyre going into year 3 so hopefully they improve but neither have very many positive traits outside of maybe ball skills. ILB IMO has been one of the biggest holes this defense has had over the years and I wouldnt expect much to change until we get a game changer there. Right now I would say its very average. OG will be another need. I think we end up putting Spriggs inside or moving Bulaga inside rather than play a rookie but I still think its a need with no experience.

Free Agency:
I think TT brings in a CB but until I see who is allowed to walk Ill leave this blank. Maybe some other idiot will let a Hayward type go.

Draft: The deepest positions IMO this year are CB, RB, TE, and S. I think its weakest at QB, OT, and WR. That said there are always a ton of guys pushed up at those weaker positions. We will see how things shake out come closer to the combine.
Round 1:
Desmond King CB 5'11 200lbs Iowa
King is probably the second best cover CB to Tabor IMO. He makes some incredible plays on the ball when its in the air. On deep balls he usually does well to turn his head and track the ball while staying with his man. If the pass is anywhere off target his ball skills give him a chance to pick it. He also has experience as a kick and punt returner to make plays with the ball in hand. I like his willingness to tackle as well. He can play inside or outside. Something about Iowa players. Theyre always hard workers and team leaders. Had this class not be so strong at CB he would probably be a top 16 pick but with guys like Humphrey, Tabor, possibly Jones from Washington, and a few others hes going to fall.

Round 2:
Bucky Hodges TE 6'7 245lbs V Tech
Some people have Hodges going in the 1st and early 2nd. Ive seen over the years TEs just dont typically go that early especially when theyre incomplete and raw like Hodges. Hes a converted wide receiver and is super athletic. A good comparison would be Graham as he is bigger than a Jordan Reed but hes also just as elusive. This is a deep TE class and I think their are some other good players but Hodges is going to be a star on the level of Gronkowski if he gets a QB who can use his size and sure hands. Blocking will come probably never be his forte but you can do so much with him as a receiver it makes up for that. This guy has serious WR type speed at 6'7.

Round 3:
Harold Landry OLB 6'3 250lbs Boston College
I only seen him play twice but this guy is a force. He does play for BC and they dont see the best talent but I was impressed with his pass rushing and his edge setting. With both Jones and Peppers gone the Packers could add some depth with the oft injured Perry and Matthews.

Round 4:
Taylor Morton OL 6'4 325lbs Eastern Michigan
I feel the same way about Morton as I did about Lang (who I had in every mock back when he came out) and they have similar measurables and come from the same school. Hes played both OT and OG. The versatility is something to Packers like in there lineman especially after losing Barclay, Lang, and Tretter in this mock.

Round 5a:
Kareem Hunt RB 6'0 225lbs Toledo
Hunt is a thicker back who is very well rounded. He has solid hands catching a ton of passes for Toledo and hes a vision runner who like to find the whole and use his size to push forward. He isnt a speed guy by any means but very Jordan Howard like (Who I had in almost every mock last season).

Round 5b:
Tony Conner DB 6'0 215lbs Ole Miss
Conner should be higher had he not torn his meniscus in 2015 and struggled in 2016 feeling the after effects still. He plays all over the field when healthy and is very versatile similar to Micah Hyde. Hes very adept at blitzing and mixing it up in the run game. His coverage was good enough for him to play in the slot in college but thats not his strong suit. I think he could play a Hyde like role here and he would be a steal if he returns to the form he was before the injury.

Round 6:
Hardy Nickerson Jr LB 6'2 250lbs Illinois
Son of former player Hardy Nickerson Sr who went on to become am NFL coach for the 9ers and then left to coach under Lovie Smith at Illinois. Football is in Nickerson's blood and hes gotten some good coaching along the way. Hes nothing special as a player and he isnt the game changer I said we needed but he provides depth to a position group that is very thin.

Round 7: Tony Adams OL 6'2 300lbs NC State
Adams has played both OG and C for NC State. With Tretter gone depth at C is important just in case and with him able to play OG he also offers even more depth up front.
TT needs to be fired. Hire me, ya boy, Lupedafiasco- Make the Packers great again. I would have never drafted that bum Randall.
lupethefiasco

Re: Packers win the Super Bowl Mock

Postby backthepack4ever » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:18 pm

not a fan of the king pick at all. Most think his position in the NFL will be safety. I don't see him as a stud CB. He looks more of a good safety that can come down in the box and also cover in the slot if need be. I just don't see him being much of an upgrade to when we drafted Randall.

Love the Landry pick. this guy doesn't get talked about enough much like another guy I loved last year, yannick ngakoue. There is something to be said for guys that play on awful teams and can still produce when your the focus to stop. I don't think he will last to the end of the 3rd
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby NCF » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:43 pm

backthepack4ever wrote:not a fan of the king pick at all. Most think his position in the NFL will be safety. I don't see him as a stud CB. He looks more of a good safety that can come down in the box and also cover in the slot if need be. I just don't see him being much of an upgrade to when we drafted Randall.

He sounds kind of like a Randall clone. I think you can find a good CB to play CB and a good S to play S, but I think a lot of times there is projection that goes into it one way or another. People quickly forget that Randall looked pretty darn good at CB in 2015. I'm not ready to give up on him and I also wouldn't shy away from picking someone with a similar pedigree.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby YoHoChecko » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Before I look too deeply into the draft, I just want to say that I think your market value on a couple of our free agents is highly optimistic--namely Jared Cook and Nick Perry. I hope you're right, but Perry is in line, I'd think to make Pernell McPhee's free agent contract a floor, rather than a ceiling.
YoHoChecko

Postby lupethefiasco » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:Before I look too deeply into the draft, I just want to say that I think your market value on a couple of our free agents is highly optimistic--namely Jared Cook and Nick Perry. I hope you're right, but Perry is in line, I'd think to make Pernell McPhee's free agent contract a floor, rather than a ceiling.

I think Im going to be pretty spot on but time will tell. Like I said Cook is 30. No one is going to give him some 4 or 5 year deal on the open market. Cook has looked good but he only has 26 catches and a single TD on the year. I dont think anyone is going to be lining up to sign Cook. Jermaine Gresham signed to a 3.5/year contract last season and Bennett got 5. I would say 3-5 is his range and nothing more.

As for Perry he hasnt made it through a season with some type of ailment. Before this year he only had a career high of 4 sacks. Then again Jerry Hughes got 9 mil and is basically the same thing from a production standpoint.

Time will tell. This is just a prediction.
TT needs to be fired. Hire me, ya boy, Lupedafiasco- Make the Packers great again. I would have never drafted that bum Randall.
lupethefiasco

Postby NCF » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 pm

The other truly nitpicky thing is that Geronimo Allison will be an ERFA and he would have no leverage to command any kind of multi-year contract. The Packers can simply tender him as a 2nd-year player.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby lupethefiasco » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 pm

NCF wrote:The other truly nitpicky thing is that Geronimo Allison will be an ERFA and he would have no leverage to command any kind of multi-year contract. The Packers can simply tender him as a 2nd-year player.

Fair point. I was using over-the-cap for information and I had forgotten they dont have a section for RFA's (that I know of). With that being the case than they would tender him. I think after that though hes going to be here for the longterm. I think hes actually going to make a nice little career for himself in the NFL.
lupethefiasco

Postby RingoCStarrQB » Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm

With Casey Hayward making the Pro Blow ............. you have to wonder what they were thinking after Bruce Clark made the Pro Bowl as well. Lots of head scratching going on ...........
THE PACK WILL BE BACK
'There are football fans and there are Packer fans' 1-13-2002
'Green Bay, I hope you're proud of us because we're proud of you' 1-12-1997
'Well then run it, and then let's get the hell out of here' 12-31-1967
RingoCStarrQB

Return to 2017 Draft War Room