Jameis is an obvious bust

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Re: Jameis is an obvious bust

Postby FSUmark » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 am

texas wrote:
FSUmark wrote:Winston isn't dumb.

I don't know how you have all the off-field issues he has if you're not stupid. The big one seems to be a lie, given that she has now taken it to some sort of court I believe, 6 times, and every court comes away with the same opinion that she lied plain and simple. But the crab legs thing and the FHRITP thing, while funny, along with the times I have heard him speak, make me think he's a moron.

I just don't see Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Brees, Wilson, Romo, Luck, Eli, Culter, Flacco, or Ryan doing all of that in 2 years as a starter. If you'd give me that rap sheet and ask for an NFL QB, I'd say Manziel, Sanchez, Vince Young, Cam Newton... you get the idea.

I know Manning had the athletic trainer incident but rather than keep doing stuff like that he quieted everything down.

We'll see. I'll be surprised if he busts out of the league. I see him being a starter for a while.
FSUmark

Postby lupethefiasco » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:51 am

Winston is very intelligent. Just because he grew up in a different culture and speaks a different lingo doesnt make him a moron. Has he made some bad choices? No worse than Big Ben.

If either were to go with the 1st pick I think theyd actually succeed because TB has a good offense to put around its QB. With Evans and Jackson on the boundary you have receivers that can bail out your QB with jump ball and Winston has the arm to put the ball down the field and in their area. ASJ should improve at TE. They also have a stable of backs who have all flashed. Offensive line is an issue Im sure theyll address early as well. Hes also shown hes a great leader and a big time clutch player. Hes played in the biggest games a college player can play in against quality teams. He practiced against what was the number one defense in the nation in 2013.

On the other hand Mariota played against Ohio State which is the closest thing to an NFL defense hes going to see on the big stage and got embarrassed. He was downright awful in the Championship game.
TT needs to be fired. Hire me, ya boy, Lupedafiasco- Make the Packers great again. I would have never drafted that bum Randall.
lupethefiasco

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:31 am

lupethefiasco wrote:Winston is very intelligent. Just because he grew up in a different culture and speaks a different lingo doesnt make him a moron. Has he made some bad choices? No worse than Big Ben.

If either were to go with the 1st pick I think theyd actually succeed because TB has a good offense to put around its QB. With Evans and Jackson on the boundary you have receivers that can bail out your QB with jump ball and Winston has the arm to put the ball down the field and in their area. ASJ should improve at TE. They also have a stable of backs who have all flashed. Offensive line is an issue Im sure theyll address early as well. Hes also shown hes a great leader and a big time clutch player. Hes played in the biggest games a college player can play in against quality teams. He practiced against what was the number one defense in the nation in 2013.

On the other hand Mariota played against Ohio State which is the closest thing to an NFL defense hes going to see on the big stage and got embarrassed. He was downright awful in the Championship game.

Mariota was 24 of 37, with 6 flat out drops by his WRs. He threw for 2 TDs and 1 INT. The INT was the last pass of the game on a heave down the field.

You're right tho, if he could just have been his own WR, his own non fumbling RB, and tackled Elliot, he would have shown that he could win on the big stage, like Jameis did when he played Oregon.

The problem with Winston isn't the off the field stuff. The problem with Winston is the delivery, the lack of athleticism, and the INTS - he can't read zone coverage, especially underneath zone coverage with pressure.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby FSUmark » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:59 am

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
lupethefiasco wrote:Winston is very intelligent. Just because he grew up in a different culture and speaks a different lingo doesnt make him a moron. Has he made some bad choices? No worse than Big Ben.

Mariota was 24 of 37, with 6 flat out drops by his WRs. He threw for 2 TDs and 1 INT. The INT was the last pass of the game on a heave down the field.

You're right tho, if he could just have been his own WR, his own non fumbling RB, and tackled Elliot, he would have shown that he could win on the big stage, like Jameis did when he played Oregon.

The problem with Winston isn't the off the field stuff. The problem with Winston is the delivery, the lack of athleticism, and the INTS - he can't read zone coverage, especially underneath zone coverage with pressure.

And the problem with Mariota is he's never had to read an NFL type defense, has never worked under center, and his numbers are skewed by the system he played in. He was throwing to wide open receivers, rarely had to make it past his 2nd read, and had a lot of INT's dropped. Hell I think he had 3 dropped in the FSU game.

EDIT: Winston's delivery has already improved since he dropped baseball and has only been working on football mechanics. He's also shown he can read zone coverage, in his first year. He was forcing passes to his known receivers this year.
FSUmark

Postby JKB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:41 pm

Neither qb will ever be great IMO. Just the best of who is available this year. Time will tell wether
one, both or neither is a bust. What do I know :mrgreen:
Glad we aren't drafting foe AR replacement this year....yuck.
I have done all the online research, I am basically web certified.
JKB

Previous

Return to 2017 Draft War Room