NCF Mock Draft 3.0

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2015 draft.

Once the 2014 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby NCF » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:36 pm

2015 NFL OFFSEASON


Resignings

Bryan Bulaga - 4 years, 30 million
Letroy Guion - 1 year, 1.5 million
BJ Raji - 1 year, 2 million
Scott Tolzein - 2 years, 2 million
Sean Richardson - Low RFA tender
Don Barclay - Low RFA tender


Losses

Randall Cobb - 5 years, 57 million
Tramon Williams - 3 years, 17 million
Davon House - 3 years, 15 million


Free Agency

Percy Harvin, WR New York Jets – 2 years, 14 million

Image

Jacquian Williams, LB New York Giants – 2 years, 8 million

Image


Comp Picks

2 6th-Round picks


Image


ROUND 1

Eric Kendricks, ILB UCLA
6’0” – 232 – rSR


Image

STRENGTHS: Like big brother Mychal (Eagles), Eric is instinctive, aggressive and a more explosive hitter than his frame suggests. Closes quickly and with force. Light on his feet. Has good agility, flexibility and balance, especially as a pass rusher. Has the quickness and fluidity to be effective in coverage.
Compares To: Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks -- Too small for some schemes but Kendricks' instincts, physicality and improved awareness in coverage make him a true three-down defender with the potential to earn Pro Bowl recognition in the right defense.


ROUND 2

Byron Jones, CB Connecticut
6’1” – 199 – SR


Image

STRENGTHS: Good combination of length, speed and ball-skills for press coverage. Shows smooth turning motion to run with athletic wideouts and good makeup speed.


ROUND 3

Justin Hardy, WR East Carolina
5’10” – 192 – SR


Image

STRENGTHS: Not an elite speed player, but accelerates well with subtle quickness off the line of scrimmage to shake press. Intuitive target and finds soft coverages to exploit defenses. Excellent depth in his routes and works back to the ball, always trying to get open. Terrific job with body fakes to sell patterns. Quick footwork with concentration through the process, showing the ability to refocus on the move. Natural ballskills with sticky hands and a large catching radius, attacking the ball, not allowing it to come to him. Quick-thinker and has his next move figured out before the catch. Not content with just catching the ball and took advantage of catch-and-go designed plays in college. Tracks well with easy adjustments. Plays with urgency and competes on each snap, finishing runs and improvising when needed. High football intelligence. Heady and willing blocker and more than adequate in this area. Primary punt return duties the last three seasons (63/495/7.9). Soft-spoken, but confident and always trying to prove himself. Consistent workmanlike effort with meticulous practice habits. The most productive receiver in FBS history with a record 387 career catches and his 4,541 receiving yards ranks third all-time in FBS history. Won 2014 Burlsworth Trophy as nation’s top walk-on.


ROUND 4

Ben Heeney, ILB Kansas
6’0” – 231 - SR


Image

STRENGTHS: Good play speed with fast, aggressive pursuit angles. The switch is always flipped on the field, displaying a motor that never quits and chasing down plays he has no business being involved in. Smart, instinctive player who read/reacts well, breaking down well on the move. Locks onto his target quickly and doesn't make many mistakes. Physical wrap-up tackler and throws his body around with toughness to take the punishment. Plays pissed off with a chip and violent, competitive nature. Floats well in coverage to jump passes and get his hands on the ball (eight passes defended, four interceptions in his career). Experienced with man coverage responsibilities and was often the only linebacker on the field, rarely leaving the field. Physical downhill blitzer. Try-hard motor and leaves it all out on the field with resilient mentality. Handled adversity with a handful of different coaches in his four seasons at Kansas (9-39 record over that stretch).
Productive career -- led the Jayhawks in tackles each of the past three seasons, and led the NCAA in solo tackles in 2014 with 7.3 per game.


ROUND 5

Joey Mbu, DT Houston
6’3” – 313 – SR


Image

STRENGTHS: Boasts the prototypical frame for a run-stuffer with broad shoulders, long arms and a massive lower half, including a big butt and tree trunks for thighs. Good upper-body strength to lock out and anchors well, holding up nicely at the point of attack.
Shows good balance and lateral agility to slide down the line and force the action wide. Effective swim move to penetrate as a pass rusher and has enough short-area quickness to close.
Good awareness. Gets his hands up in the passing game (eight career passes broken up, including two interceptions) and recognizes screens quickly, peeling off to locate the potential receiver rather than rushing the quarterback. Voted a team captain as a junior and senior.


ROUND 6A

Kyle Emanuel, OLB South Dakota State
6’3” – 255 – SR


Image

Winner of the 2014 Buck Buchanan Award as the top defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision…Strong, fast performer whose motor is always running…Tied the NDSU record with 41 career total sacks...Finished his career sixth in FCS history and fourth in Missouri Valley Football Conference history with 35.5 career sacks…Played in all 61 career games including 49 starts...The Bison went 58-3 in his career with four conference championships and four NCAA national titles.


ROUND 6B

Connor Halliday, QB Washington State
6’3” – 196 – SR


Image

STRENGTHS: Good frame for a drop-back passer with plenty of arm strength and while he isn't particularly elusive, he does have decent speed for his size. He typically throws in-breaking routes like slants and posts well, showing zip and good placement. At times shows very good accuracy on both intermediate and deep out-breaking routes, consistently throwing before his receivers turn. Deft touch on verticals down the sideline and when dropping passes over the defenders with their backs turned to him. Highly confident passer who performed well against top competition - including beating All-American cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu for three touchdowns in a surprisingly tight game against Oregon (38-31).


ROUND 6C

Kyle Loomis, P Portland State
6'2" - 221 - rSR


Image

STRENGTHS: Solid frame for a punter with broad shoulders and thick limbs. Quick set up, drop and kick of the ball. Impressive power. The ball simply explodes off of his right foot. Capable of drilling the ball deep and with a low trajectory for maximum distance or sending it skyrocketing up to force fair catches, something he successfully accomplished 41 times over the past two seasons. Capable of angling his punts effectively to pin rushers to the sideline. Experienced on kickoffs, showing plenty of leg to consistently generate touchbacks. Rare maturity given his age and military service.


ROUND 7

Casey Pierce, TE Kent State
6’4” – 244 – rSR


Image

Career
• Ranks eighth in career touchdown catches at Kent State with 11
• Ranks 11th in career receptions with 97
• Ended career with two or more catches in 18 straight games and three or more catches in 12 consecutive games




Previous Mocks:

1.0
2.0
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby GeMatt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:52 am

One thing for certain is that Ted Thompson would never sign Percy Harvin. He is a player with a bad reputation in the locker room. He creates problems. That's why he is no longer in Seattle, Minny, and now NY. Add his injuries to the equation and he is not someone coming to Green Bay anytime soon.

As for your draft picks Kendricks and Byron Jones are decent. And of course almost everyone now agrees the Pack will draft a QB or sign an UDFA. A punter may be signed for competition but I think they will stick with what they have. I like your thinking though. Out of the box. Creative. Original
GeMatt
 
Posts: 5760
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 am

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby Pckfn23 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:00 am

GeMatt wrote:And of course almost everyone now agrees the Pack will draft a QB or sign an UDFA.


Who didn't agree with that in the first place?
Image
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
User avatar
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade
 
Posts: 38892
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:24 am
Location: Western WI

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby BF004 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

If we lose Cobb I'd be damn excited about Harvin, I actually think he is a better player. He comes with all the rumors and baggage, but if Ted and Mac meet with him and sign off, I'll be okay with it for sure.

Looking a little too thin at CB methinks.

Also think that is an overpay for Bulaga. http://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/
Image
User avatar
BF004
 
Posts: 10672
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Galesville, WI

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby go pak go » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:06 pm

7 million for Harvin to me seems high.

I would love Kendricks.
Next Man Up
Image
User avatar
go pak go
 
Posts: 8616
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 am
Location: South Dakota

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby backthepack4ever » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 pm

BF004 wrote:If we lose Cobb I'd be damn excited about Harvin, I actually think he is a better player. He comes with all the rumors and baggage, but if Ted and Mac meet with him and sign off, I'll be okay with it for sure.

Looking a little too thin at CB methinks.

Also think that is an overpay for Bulaga. http://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/



I don't agree Ted and Mac would sign off on Harvin but I agree with your thought, if TT And Mac feel a guy is ok to be a packer I do too. They won't bring in a guy unless they feel they can keep him straight. That makes me think if they are ok with a DGB or Peters they could be steals in the draft.

As for Harvin if the sea thugs didn't want him I don't see him fitting here unless he's ready to grow up. Idk. He's a talent though
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby NCF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:18 am

The thing about Percy Harvin is he loves football and that makes him a Ted guy.

Minnesota didn't work because they didn't want to pay what his production was worth when his check came due. Don't forget, this was a guy that out-shadowed his MVP teammate for half a season until he got hurt in 2012.

Not sure what happened in Seattle and I'm not sure anyone is. So he got into a fight with a teammate. A little more background on the guy he supposedly decked and I'm not really all that surprised. Then their was the supposed clash with Russell Wilson, but the real issue was Seattle was using him as a decoy. This wasn't the Seattle that we know so well, either. This team was struggling. His argument was he could help the team win.

I don't see him as a me first guy. The way we run the offense, he would fit, he would conform, and he would be happy. This was one of the cleanest route runners coming out of college in 2009 and an explosive, dynamic player that has spent exactly one season with a worthy QB (sorry, Russell).

I would expect, like always, the Packers insist on at least a 2 year deal if they sign off on the person and that, similar to Peppers, there will be an easy out after 1 should we choose to move on. If we lose Cobb and add Harvin at a salary near what I mentioned, it would be the super rare occasion we upgrade a position with a less expensive player. In almost every measure Harvin > Cobb. Cobb is a better person, hands down, but I also think every offense needs a guy with some edge. We have Sitton and Lang and a fairly scrappy OL, but a bunch of Clark Kent's at the skill positions. We could use a little edge there.

I know most won't give it a chance and maybe you all are right, but put we down in the 100% sure category that this guy makes our team better, by every meaningful measure.
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby YoHoChecko » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:35 am

NCF wrote:The thing about Percy Harvin is he loves football and that makes him a Ted guy.

Minnesota didn't work because they didn't want to pay what his production was worth when his check came due. Don't forget, this was a guy that out-shadowed his MVP teammate for half a season until he got hurt in 2012.

Not sure what happened in Seattle and I'm not sure anyone is. So he got into a fight with a teammate. A little more background on the guy he supposedly decked and I'm not really all that surprised. Then their was the supposed clash with Russell Wilson, but the real issue was Seattle was using him as a decoy. This wasn't the Seattle that we know so well, either. This team was struggling. His argument was he could help the team win.

I don't see him as a me first guy. The way we run the offense, he would fit, he would conform, and he would be happy. This was one of the cleanest route runners coming out of college in 2009 and an explosive, dynamic player that has spent exactly one season with a worthy QB (sorry, Russell).

I would expect, like always, the Packers insist on at least a 2 year deal if they sign off on the person and that, similar to Peppers, there will be an easy out after 1 should we choose to move on. If we lose Cobb and add Harvin at a salary near what I mentioned, it would be the super rare occasion we upgrade a position with a less expensive player. In almost every measure Harvin > Cobb. Cobb is a better person, hands down, but I also think every offense needs a guy with some edge. We have Sitton and Lang and a fairly scrappy OL, but a bunch of Clark Kent's at the skill positions. We could use a little edge there.

I know most won't give it a chance and maybe you all are right, but put we down in the 100% sure category that this guy makes our team better, by every meaningful measure.

So you take a guy with questions about his attitude--you have explanations, but I'm sure there are multiple sides and we're not really sure what we've got there...

you add in injury problems--migraines, hip (labrum tear), ankle (ligament tear), shoulder....

if you're going to sign him, it has to be on one of those Woodson-esque per-game roster-bonus deals in which he only gets paid if he plays. And we have to remember that our receiving room isn't the bastion of character and leadership to allow risks that it once was. Driver, Cobb, Jones, and Jennings were all top notch humans (until they started negotiating contracts) in our locker room. Jordy is great, but admittedly not a leader or a vocal player. It's a high risk reclamation project, for sure. He hasn't really produced since 2011.
YoHoChecko
 
Posts: 15061
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby NCF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:47 am

YoHoChecko wrote:if you're going to sign him, it has to be on one of those Woodson-esque per-game roster-bonus deals in which he only gets paid if he plays.


I can get on board with that. I see the risk, character aside, with the injuries and I think the Packers would structure it to protect themselves, but also pay the guy if he does produce the way he is capable.

YoHoChecko wrote:And we have to remember that our receiving room isn't the bastion of character and leadership to allow risks that it once was. Driver, Cobb, Jones, and Jennings were all top notch humans (until they started negotiating contracts) in our locker room. Jordy is great, but admittedly not a leader or a vocal player. It's a high risk reclamation project, for sure. He hasn't really produced since 2011.


Meh, you underestimate Jordy. Classic lead-by-example guy. It goes a long way. Everything we saw from Davante Adams said he's down the right road to becoming a leader himself. Plus Harvin isn't a young pup. He is who he is. Leadership only goes so far. I think there is enough positive to suggest Harvin would fit in fine with the group, especially given an offense that is constructed to keep him happy... not so much by design for the individual player, but by basic McCarthy-Rodgers philosophy. This is the offense Harvin is meant to play in. As the ultimate slot receiver in the game, he is everything Cobb is and more, on the field, when healthy (I realize very much, the double-disclaimer, there).
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby go pak go » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:01 am

NCF wrote:The thing about Percy Harvin is he loves football and that makes him a Ted guy.

Minnesota didn't work because they didn't want to pay what his production was worth when his check came due. Don't forget, this was a guy that out-shadowed his MVP teammate for half a season until he got hurt in 2012.

Not sure what happened in Seattle and I'm not sure anyone is. So he got into a fight with a teammate. A little more background on the guy he supposedly decked and I'm not really all that surprised. Then their was the supposed clash with Russell Wilson, but the real issue was Seattle was using him as a decoy. This wasn't the Seattle that we know so well, either. This team was struggling. His argument was he could help the team win.

I don't see him as a me first guy. The way we run the offense, he would fit, he would conform, and he would be happy. This was one of the cleanest route runners coming out of college in 2009 and an explosive, dynamic player that has spent exactly one season with a worthy QB (sorry, Russell).

I would expect, like always, the Packers insist on at least a 2 year deal if they sign off on the person and that, similar to Peppers, there will be an easy out after 1 should we choose to move on. If we lose Cobb and add Harvin at a salary near what I mentioned, it would be the super rare occasion we upgrade a position with a less expensive player. In almost every measure Harvin > Cobb. Cobb is a better person, hands down, but I also think every offense needs a guy with some edge. We have Sitton and Lang and a fairly scrappy OL, but a bunch of Clark Kent's at the skill positions. We could use a little edge there.

I know most won't give it a chance and maybe you all are right, but put we down in the 100% sure category that this guy makes our team better, by every meaningful measure.


I don't know why everyone believes the Packers made a contract with Peppers with the intention of a 1 year deal. It is clearly a two year deal. Peppers cap hit this year is 12 million, but the dead money is still 5 million. Sure we save 7 million if we cut the guy, but eating 5 million IMO is a lot of cash.
Next Man Up
Image
User avatar
go pak go
 
Posts: 8616
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 am
Location: South Dakota

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby YoHoChecko » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 am

So since we got Cobb back, now we can talk about your draft picks instead of Harvin!
YoHoChecko
 
Posts: 15061
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby NCF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:22 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:So since we got Cobb back, now we can talk about your draft picks instead of Harvin!


Right on!! I'm stoked about a lot of these middle rounders and Heeney moves to the top of my ILB wish list, after Shaq Thompson.
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 pm

Is Halliday the one who broke his leg? 6-6, 130 pounds, threw 80 times a game....
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi
 
Posts: 12595
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby YoHoChecko » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:08 pm

NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:So since we got Cobb back, now we can talk about your draft picks instead of Harvin!


Right on!! I'm stoked about a lot of these middle rounders and Heeney moves to the top of my ILB wish list, after Shaq Thompson.

Wow, that high!?

I remember being very impressed with his numbers and then being not that into him after reading a little and I can't remember what gave me that impression. Is there anything about him being a hint slow to diagnose? I've been prioritizing instincts and football IQ a lot in my scouting this offseason, with some mild exceptions for amazing size/athleticism combinations.
YoHoChecko
 
Posts: 15061
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: NCF Mock Draft 3.0

Postby NCF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:55 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:So since we got Cobb back, now we can talk about your draft picks instead of Harvin!


Right on!! I'm stoked about a lot of these middle rounders and Heeney moves to the top of my ILB wish list, after Shaq Thompson.

Wow, that high!?

I remember being very impressed with his numbers and then being not that into him after reading a little and I can't remember what gave me that impression. Is there anything about him being a hint slow to diagnose? I've been prioritizing instincts and football IQ a lot in my scouting this offseason, with some mild exceptions for amazing size/athleticism combinations.


He got good reviews from the NFL Draft Scout guys and was super-productive.

Good play speed with fast, aggressive pursuit angles. The switch is always flipped on the field, displaying a motor that never quits and chasing down plays he has no business being involved in. Smart, instinctive player who read/reacts well, breaking down well on the move. Locks onto his target quickly and doesn't make many mistakes.


4.59 40, 33 1/2 Vert, 10 Broad, 4.0 SS, & 6.68 3-Cone... respectable, if not impressive. Nothing that wows you, but good enough to win with. Kind of confirms what Brugler says about his weaknesses, too.

Undersized with a maxed-out build and short arms. Limited athlete and tight in space, lacking easy fluidity to quickly recover after false steps. Plays fast, but straight-linish and needs to stop and collect himself changing directions.
Image

Read more. Post less.
User avatar
NCF
 
Posts: 10523
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Next

Return to 2017 Draft War Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest