FA Mockdraft 2.0

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

FA Mockdraft 2.0

Postby lupethefiasco » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 am

Now that we officially have Cobb and Bulaga back I guess Ill begin my next mock. All over signings will be minor or of very little value. I do expect to lose Williams and resign Raji.

With the starting offense together through 2016 this is really a chance for us to focus on defense but this time we cant miss making stupid picks on guys that were obvious busts like Worthy and McMillian and miscast players like Perry.

Round 1: PJ Williams CB Florida St 6' 195
Im glad PJ Williams ran an awful 40 and was outshined at the combine. I would much rather have Collins here from LSU but PJ I think is the 4th best CB in this class and with TT never going near Peters I think that really makes him 3rd best. PJ is very physical and has the size to match his style of play. He will definitely need to learn how to use his hands and not be so physical downfield but overall I think in the long term he is a cant miss prospect who has the potential to be a shutdown CB.
(A great Lupe Fiasco song in this one)
Round 2: Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson 6'2 245
Its tough to say where exactly Anthony is going. At best Id say hes jumped into the 1st half of the 2nd round and at the very least hes going to go early 3rd. Having him get back to us in the 3rd is wishful thinking because he did too well at the combine. Still hes worth this pick as he is very rangey, can rush the passer, and has the size to hold up in the run game. I would have liked to see more tackles out of him at the collegiate level but hes to athletic not to do at least better than Hawk and Jones.

Round 3: Tyler Kroft TE Rutgers 6'5 245
Kroft is an excellent blocker with the size and athleticism to possibly make plays in the future as a pass catcher. As of right now he would be our best blocker but also give us size and speed to be used as a receiver if he develops his route running and ability to catch the ball. With his size he still has room to grow and he can become a matchup problem when in short down and distance areas.

Round 4: Paul Dawson ILB TCU 6' 235
Ok so I know I said no sure fire bust players but hear me out. Dawson is an absolute animal on the field. His combine was awful enough that I think he will slip way down in the draft. But Manti Teo and Chris Borland blew their combines too and still have looked solid early on. Hes a tackle machine and is constantly in position to make plays. I really see him as a Desmond Bishop type player who slashes in and makes plays behind the LOS.
(Another good Lupe song)
Round 5: Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane 5'10 185
Doss is a ballhawk and I like my Ballhawks (Hayward and Burnett were two of favorites leading up to their respective drafts). Doss fights for every ball and has amazing hand eye coordination for a DB. Hes undersized but I really think this guy will be a special DB and if theres anything I have an eye for its DBs.

Round 6a: John Crockett RB North Dakota St 6'1 215
Kind of a do it all RB he ran run, catch, and block. Think Brandon Jackson with more rushing ability. I like him to be able to take over for either Starks or Lacy if either ever go down.

Round 6b: Terry Williams NT East Carolina 6'1 350
This is an immovable object. At 350 pounds he can clog a lane and push a pile. Its said he has stamina issues which is fine because he would only be here to spell Raji when he needs it.

Round 7a: Taylor Kelly QB Arizona St 6'2 200
Kelly has a strong arm and is also mobile. I would say hes similar to Rodgers in those aspects but he lacks the accuracy and instincts. Still having those two skills for a QB can go a long way if you can master the touch needed to be an NFL QB.

Round7b: Austin Hill WR Arizona 6'3 215
Hill was one of colleges brightest young receivers before tearing his ACL. He returned last year but couldnt come close to the production he had before. Im sure teams now have the buyer beware tag on his but I think hes worth a look. He has the size and leaping ability to make plays although hes never been known as a burner.
TT needs to be fired. Hire me, ya boy, Lupedafiasco- Make the Packers great again. I would have never drafted that bum Randall.
lupethefiasco

Re: FA Mockdraft 2.0

Postby YoHoChecko » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:58 pm

I swore I responded to this, I must've typed it and never submitted. Ugh

So it seems to me like PJ Williams needs to go to a cover-2 defense. His 40 time was slow, but also, that entire highlight reel had only 4 plays more than 10-12 yards downfield. Those 4 plays included 3 INTs when the WR was clearly behind him and had him beat but the ball was underthrown and another ball that hit a receiver that had gotten behind him in the hands but Williams dove at his feet/body and the guy dropped it. Williams looks destined to get torched deep if he plays outside without constant safety help. He's the same timed speed as Hyde and Hayward. I get that he seems quick and instinctive and great in run support, but if we're losing House and Williams, we need a boundary corner that can run with WRs.

Stephone Anthony, to me, is just a guy. He's good at everything, great at nothing. That was fine when he was considered a 3rd/4th round guy, but I think he's risen past his value at this point. Also, Paul Dawson "blew" the combine worse than either guy you mentioned and has character concerns. Maybe he's Vontaze Burflict (a much better comparison), but I don't want him on my team.

Doss defies TT draft reality a bit by being shorter than 5'11", also, but I nitpick that less than some other guys. The end of the draft guys I'll have to look into; some sound intriguing.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoHoChecko

Postby backthepack4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:26 pm

I disagree about Anthony. None of these ILBs are great at anything, I will take the guy who can do it all. Being good isn't a jag IMO. He reminds me a lot of d Washington. A guy that can do some blitzing up the middle along with stopping the run and some coverage skills. I like the kid.

Good evaluation of williams, I really liked him until his speed red flags. We need a guy that can play day 1 and I don't think williams can.

No thanks on Dawson. The guy half assed it at the combine, pulling up and not finishing drills. On a job interview that says a lot. I'd pass.

I love the terry williams pick
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby NCF » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:03 pm

backthepack4ever wrote:I disagree about Anthony. None of these ILBs are great at anything, I will take the guy who can do it all.

And I'll take the guy that has shown he can do it and that's Ben Heeney. I think when it comes to position like ILB, production is a huge predictor of success. There is not a huge learning curve at ILB... instincts matter. If a guy was successful at school, it tends to translate well. I'm not knocking Anthony here, just further promoting Heeney.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby YoHoChecko » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:18 pm

NCF wrote:
backthepack4ever wrote:I disagree about Anthony. None of these ILBs are great at anything, I will take the guy who can do it all.

And I'll take the guy that has shown he can do it and that's Ben Heeney. I think when it comes to position like ILB, production is a huge predictor of success. There is not a huge learning curve at ILB... instincts matter. If a guy was successful at school, it tends to translate well. I'm not knocking Anthony here, just further promoting Heeney.

Of course that's also an endorsement of his Dawson pick
YoHoChecko

Postby NCF » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:57 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:

Of course that's also an endorsement of his Dawson pick

Character aside, absolutely.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby GeMatt » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:26 am

Doss goes against every thing I want in a CB, which is players at that position 6' and over. Can't compete in the NFL at that small size (5'10").

Also I don't want a QB who is only 6'2" 200 lbs. 6'5 225 at a minimum is what I want to see in Green Bay.
GeMatt

Postby YoHoChecko » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:43 am

GeMatt wrote:Doss goes against every thing I want in a CB, which is players at that position 6' and over. Can't compete in the NFL at that small size (5'10").

Also I don't want a QB who is only 6'2" 200 lbs. 6'5 225 at a minimum is what I want to see in Green Bay.

I hate to be the one to break the news to ya:

Aaron Rodgers
Born: December 2, 1983 (age 31), Chico, CA
Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
YoHoChecko

Postby Pckfn23 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:25 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:
GeMatt wrote:Doss goes against every thing I want in a CB, which is players at that position 6' and over. Can't compete in the NFL at that small size (5'10").

Aaron Rodgers

Favre was 6'2" as well. This 6'5" minimum business is as crazy as the 6'2" CB minimum and the Thompson looking for Rodgers' replacement in 2015.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Stephone Anthony seems incapable of getting his head across when tackling. Looks good in coverage, like his instincts, but not a fan of the drag down tackler.

Dawson on the other hand likes to stick that facemask in the sternum or get it across the body whenever he can.
BF004

Postby yoop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:40 pm

this mind set eliminates a lot of quality players, size alone doesn't make a player great. :roll:
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby GeMatt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:46 am

YoHoChecko wrote:

Aaron Rodgers

You could come up with other examples if you want, but that is not the size QB I would want. I prefer the Andrew Luck size QB at minimum. Times have changed. Bill Polian on ESPN this past week commented on how the so called "read option" is used very little today. The QBs take too much of a beating with that offense. Luck is the type of successful traditional QB we always go back to once these fads pass. :D
GeMatt

Postby yoop » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 am

GeMatt wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Aaron Rodgers

You could come up with other examples if you want, but that is not the size QB I would want. I prefer the Andrew Luck size QB at minimum. Times have changed. Bill Polian on ESPN this past week commented on how the so called "read option" is used very little today. The QBs take too much of a beating with that offense. Luck is the type of successful traditional QB we always go back to once these fads pass. :D

I get that you want optimum size at every position, but if you pigeon hole yourself to those deminsions your gonna miss out on a lot of great players, and why does any QB not 6'3 automatically become a RO QB, are you going to take Luck over Favre or Aaron? some of your remarks make very little sense.

would you pass on the best CB because he's only 6' tall and instead take a clone of Richard Sherman even though he's not near as good? because thats what it sounds like your saying, and no one in there right mind would do stuff like that.
yoop
The Al Davis of PN.net

Postby go pak go » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:48 pm

GeMatt wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Aaron Rodgers

Thanks for the input. :lol:

Next Man Up
go pak go

Postby Cdragon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:02 am

yoop wrote:
GeMatt wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Aaron Rodgers

I get that you want optimum size at every position, but if you pigeon hole yourself to those deminsions your gonna miss out on a lot of great players, and why does any QB not 6'3 automatically become a RO QB, are you going to take Luck over Favre or Aaron? some of your remarks make very little sense.

would you pass on the best CB because he's only 6' tall and instead take a clone of Richard Sherman even though he's not near as good? because thats what it sounds like your saying, and no one in there right mind would do stuff like that.

If you make too many exceptions you look around one day and find you've got a bunch of Hobbits playing for you. :lol: You've got to have some hard minimums at certain positions.
Cdragon

Next

Return to 2017 Draft War Room