YoHo's Second Packers Mock

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2015 draft.

Once the 2014 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

YoHo's Second Packers Mock

Postby YoHoChecko » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:01 pm

30 - Trade back to pick 37, add a 4th round pick (104)

2. 37 - ILB Eric Kendricks
Some people have him top 20; others have no ILBs in the first round. Many have Shaq Thompson now dropping farther than originally expected, which might also push Kendricks down a little. This may be overly optimistic, but it also wouldn't be overly surprising given his current ranks by McShay and/or NFL draft scout.

62 - Trade back to 77, add a 4th round pick (115)

3a. 77 - CB Josh Shaw
Josh Shaw is 6 feet and half an inch. He runs a 4.46. He played boundary CB, FS, and slot CB in college. He is said to have outstanding football instincts. He's not perfect as a boundary CB, but he's expected to have a good chance to stick there with FS as a fallback position, rather than failure, due to his instincts. He reminds me a lot of House in that he has the size/speed but lacks some physicality, but his instincts are better than House. He falls because he busted his ankles jumping from a balcony when he saw police after an argument with his girlfriend (she had left, and no on has made any claims of physical altercations). He just feared they were there to see him, so he fled, and then lied about it. The lie got too big and he went too far and it backfired on him. Prior to that he was a team captain and his interview process has reportedly gone very well. I think the whole scenario is creating outstanding value for a very solid player.

3b. 94 - OT Cedric Ogbuehi
This guy was probably on track to be a borderline 1st/2nd round pick but he tore his ACL in advance of his bowl game. Right now, we have Barclay as a sort of swing OT back-up, but he's a free agent after this year. That allows Ogbueli a medical redshirt year behind Barclay and then to fill in as the top OT reserve moving forward. His top-flight skills also create leverage/a back-up plan if Bakhtiari cannot be retained after 2016. This is another outstanding value situation, this time due to injury.

(If we miss on Kendricks early, this pick would be ILB Ben Heeney; I'm also very tempted to make this pick Preston Smith, who I love, but LBs with 3 of our first 4 picks might be excessive)

4a. 104 - OLB Davis Tull
I envision Tull as a guy who can play a very similar role to the one Matthews played last season (not at as high a level, but a similar role). He was a college edge rusher, and he has outstanding athleticism. But he also has the size to learn to play inside. While, as a rookie, he would likely be more of a situational rusher, he could eventually allow us to field two LBs that could either line-up inside or rush from the outside, keeping offenses guessing

4b. 115 - DT L.T. Walton
6'5" and 320 pounds with a high motor. Small school and needs refinement and technique work, but this could be an excellent base 3-4 DE for us. He's not built like a NT but could shift around if/when needed. He's my favorite DLine prospect in terms of size, draft value, and effort level.

4c. 129 - WR Darren Waller

Waller is a raw, under-used 6'6" 238 pound WR from Georgia Tech who ran a 4.46 at the combine. He's as much of a physical freak as DG-B, but without the natural fluidity and ball skills. He will need work and development, but I see him as more of a Jimmy Graham role (more limited). He could be as much of a size mismatch in the slot of as an H-back as Cobb is due to quickness. So it's not really a TE conversion, but also not likely a true WR. He appears to catch the ball with his hands, though occasionally deep balls are cradled. But the film shows him making contested catches and catches in traffic. Give him a year and he could be an excellent chess piece.

5. 166 - OL Jeremy Poutasi (or OL Robert Myers)

I gave a couple choices because who knows how the draft shakes out, but these are both college OTs that will have to shift inside to OG most likely in the NFL. Nice to add some versatile OL depth with potential to develop into Sitton or Lang's successors eventually.

6a. 205 - RB Malcom Agnew
This kid's CoD numbers at his Pro Day were impeccable. I think he could be an exciting change of pace that many of us are looking for once he learns the offense.

6b. 210 - DB/QB Nick Marshall

Marshall has great size and athleticism. His workout times are only average for a CB (great for a QB), but despite being new to the position, he showed very well at the Senior Bowl. He doesn't have elite speed, but he matched up nicely with Dorsett, who does. And he's 6'2" so he could at least have a niche role in the secondary.

6c. 212 - QB Brandon Bridge (or Sean Mannion)
The Packers have been linked to Bridge as a developmental QB and I like Mannion as a dependable back-up to develop in the Matt Flynn mold.

7. 247 - ILB Jeff Luc
I remain convinced that Luc will be a very solid player in the NFL. His light came on as a senior. He's not a 3-down LB, but he brings an aggressive run-stopping presence to the field. But he just continues to be settled down near the bottom of the rankings.
YoHoChecko

Re: YoHo's Second Packers Mock

Postby backthepack4ever » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 am

nice group, and seems realistic. Only guy I really dont like is Ogbuehi. I understand the value and he had higher grades before being injured but he rubs me wrong. He is red flags were effort and gets way to high. He also moved back to RT which is kind of weird for a guy that was so high touted. I just see a guy that has the tools but it doesnt seem to click. IDK maybe i see Sherrod

Davis Tull. thanks for stealing that one. I was going to put him in my next mock and have him as a ILB convert. He can move. 4.57 at his pro day but there is rumors of sub 4.5 before his injury. could be a nice inside blitzer. He has short arms, thats why i like him more as a ILB then a pure OLB in our D. Nice pick!!

Waller could be a nice weapon in our system.
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby YoHoChecko » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 am

backthepack4ever wrote:nice group, and seems realistic. Only guy I really dont like is Ogbuehi. I understand the value and he had higher grades before being injured but he rubs me wrong. He is red flags were effort and gets way to high. He also moved back to RT which is kind of weird for a guy that was so high touted. I just see a guy that has the tools but it doesnt seem to click. IDK maybe i see Sherrod

Davis Tull. thanks for stealing that one. I was going to put him in my next mock and have him as a ILB convert. He can move. 4.57 at his pro day but there is rumors of sub 4.5 before his injury. could be a nice inside blitzer. He has short arms, thats why i like him more as a ILB then a pure OLB in our D. Nice pick!!

Waller could be a nice weapon in our system.

Thanks

I was so excited about Tull when all the sites had him as like a 5th-6th round draft pick; then he shot up into the 3rd-4th round area after the combine and at first I thought, "oh, there goes that." And then I thought, "wait, 3rd/4th round is still great!" I also like him as an ILB convert, but I feel like as a 2nd/3rd rush weapon, he's still plenty useful in that role. I like the idea of moving him around, but of course you have to be slow with developing the young ones.

I'm envisioning plays when Kendricks, Tull, and Matthews are on the field with Peppers or Perry or whoever sticks past 2015. And you have 3 guys who are good edge rushers and 3 guys who are capable of pass coverage and you don't have any idea who will line up where or how many will rush. It's ideal.

And the OT is really the wild card pick. Like I said, it's good value and I like that. But I basically needed a pick where I could possibly make up for missing out on Kendricks with the trade back by taking Heeney.

I really would rather do Preston Smith if it weren't for an apparent over-emphasis on LB need. I think Smith is born to be an elephant end. He's 6'5 270 and has a lot of experience as an interior rusher on passing downs, but he also has LB movement skills that are basically exact replicas of Koa Misi's agility drill numbers. So he can play OLB in base and on the line in sub packages. He's not a guy that will take over games, but he's a guy that can take advantage of the opportunities created by those around him and can do so from a variety of places. He would be my Mike Neal replacement/upgrade (I'd hope).
YoHoChecko

Postby kampmanfan4life » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:19 am

A lot of guys I do not know. Seems like a lot of athletes who for some reason or another need better coaching, discipline or injuries. I would be happy with this draft. Do not like Nick Marshall for the little I know of him, but that late why not right.
"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."-Vince Lombardi
kampmanfan4life

Postby GeMatt » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:10 am

Don't know all of your picks Yoho, so I can't disagree with your list. However I do feel if TE Maxx Williams is available at 62 Ted will pick him. He will probably go higher than that.
Last edited by GeMatt on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeMatt

Postby go pak go » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:12 am

GeMatt wrote:Don't know all of your picks Yoho, so I can't disagree with your list. However I do feel if TE Maxx Williams is available at 62 Ted will pick him. He will probably go higher that that.

Why do you like him so much?
Next Man Up
go pak go

Postby BF004 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Don't get the concept of trading down 7 spots only to take a guy at our position of greatest need.

I could live with it.
BF004

Postby YoHoChecko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 am

BF004 wrote:Don't get the concept of trading down 7 spots only to take a guy at our position of greatest need.

I could live with it.

Trading is usually in order to get a player at your position of need. When value and need do not match up on your board, you trade. I think that there could be a handful of guys that present good value and need at 30, but with so many valuing/projecting Kendricks outside of round 1, then the value might natch up better later. And I desperately want more picks this year. I like a lot of guys.
YoHoChecko

Postby lupethefiasco » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 am

Trading down until you have 11 picks? That makes no sense to me. Hell I already feel like the 9 is too much. That means we need to make the room for them with all the players returning, a few undrafted guys, and maybe a couple free agents so we would need to cut guys still growing from last year and even draft picks from this year.

Its not like we're the 2006 Packers and needed to rebuild everything from scratch.
Ted Thompson is a nutless wet blanket of a GM. NO BALLS! NO COJONES!
lupethefiasco

Postby YoHoChecko » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:02 am

lupethefiasco wrote:Trading down until you have 11 picks? That makes no sense to me. Hell I already feel like the 9 is too much. That means we need to make the room for them with all the players returning, a few undrafted guys, and maybe a couple free agents so we would need to cut guys still growing from last year and even draft picks from this year.

Its not like we're the 2006 Packers and needed to rebuild everything from scratch.

Davon House is gone
Tramon Williams is gone
Jarrett Bush is likely gone
Richardson may be gone
Lattimore is gone
Brad Jones is gone
AJ Hawk is gone
Jarrett Boykin is gone
Bostick is gone
Matt Flynn is gone
Kuhn may or may not be gone
D. Harris is gone

That's 12 without including the guys that I think could be replaced/improved upon.

And late round picks are good PS players, too. There is plenty of room on this roster. The fact that we have added zero free agents keeps the number of draft picks that could make the team higher.

Plus the fact that next year, both NTs will be free agents, 2 OLBs will be free agents (and Peppers' status is uncertain), our best DE will be a free agent, another CB will be a FA.

If we took, for instance, 2 DBs, 2 DL, 2 ILBs, 1 OLB, 1 OL, 1 QB, 1 TE/WR, and a FB/RB, they could all make the roster. Not saying they would, but they'd be in the mix with the current PS guys for those roles.
YoHoChecko

Postby Bogey » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 am

YoHoChecko wrote:If we took, for instance, 2 DBs, 2 DL, 2 ILBs, 1 OLB, 1 OL, 1 QB, 1 TE/WR, and a FB/RB, they could all make the roster. Not saying they would, but they'd be in the mix with the current PS guys for those roles.

Yes.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff
Bogey

Return to 2017 Draft War Room