Paco Mock 2015.9 - Round 1 and Packers full mock

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Paco Mock 2015.9 - Round 1 and Packers full mock

Postby paco » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 am

Sorry, not the prettiest.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston
I'm not buying into the Mariota at #1 stuff yet.

2. (TRADE)Cleveland Browns - Marcus Mariota
I just don't see the Titans keeping this pick right now. They aren't enamored with Mariota and make the smart move and trade down. The Browns look to move on quick from the Manziel debacle.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Vic Beasley
The Jags keep making smart moves. They don't need Leonard Williams. Beasley will be a better pro anyway.

4. Oakland Raiders - Kevin White
Lots of options here, but right now I see it between White and Cooper. This is a toss-up.

5. Washington Redskins - Leonard Williams
Williams "falls" a bit. Redskins aren't passing him up.

6. New York Jets - Dante Fowler
Jets don't get a QB. Don't get Beasley, don't get Williams. They think about a move down but make a smart pick with Fowler as top value on the board.

7. Chicago Bears - Alvin "Bud" Dupree
The John Fox era starts in Chicago. His teams have never taken a WR in the 1st. I don't see it starting this year. Makes the incredibly smart move and grabs Dupree. Damn.

8. Atlanta Falcons - Amari Cooper
Falcons need help all over. But in this league, they decide to grab another weapon in Cooper. Julio Jones has proven to be a bit injury prone and Roddy is on the back end. Let Ryan have someone else to target while he gets sacked.

9. New York Giants - Brandon Scherff
Giants need a lot of help here too. They would have liked one of the defense top guys to fall but they grab the safest bet on the board in Scherff. OT or OG, he'll be solid for a long time.

10. St. Louis Rams - La'el Collins
The Rams don't get anyone to drop that they wanted. They take a shot on La'el to fix their OT woes.

11. (TRADE)New Orleans - DeVante Parker
The Vikings saw the value in trading down here. The Saints wanted to jump on Parker while he was still here. Saints don't have to give up much to move up 2 spots.

12. Tennessee Titans (From trade w/Cleveland) - Danny Shelton
Why not just take Leonard Williams @2? Shelton will still look good next to Casey and they need more help than just Williams.

13. Minnesota Vikings (From trade with NO) - Trae Waynes
Vikings feel a bit more comfortable here grabbing someone to help in the secondary. Question is who? Maybe a toss-up between one of the CB's and Landon Collins. I still don't know where to put the CB's, so Waynes it is for now.

14. Miami Dolphins - Shane Ray
What do the Dolphins do here? Many focused on a WR. I'm not so sure. Could be first real landing spot for Gurley. Wouldn't doubt this is another trade spot. But I'll slot in some LB help and continue to build up that defense around Suh.

15. San Francisco 49ers - Randy Gregory
San Fran had a rough offseason. WR is possible here. But with Tomsula as head coach, I'm leaning toward defense. 49ers could be the team to finally take Gregory and pair him with Aldon Smith as a potentially dangerous pass rushing duo.

16. (TRADE)Philadelphia Eagles - Arik Armstead
Chip moves up for an Oregon player not named Marcus.

17. San Diego Chargers - Malcom Brown
Most have the Chargers grabbing a RB here (if not trading up for a QB). They have a workable set of backs and could grab Gurley and sit on him if needed. I'm going outside the box and giving them a big man in the middle.

18. Kansas City Chiefs - Kevin Johnson
CB is a very big need for them, among other things. I think they grab the CB that looks the best to them.

19. Tennessee Titans - Andrus Peat
Titans back on the board. They give some help to Mettenberger.

20. Houston Texans (From trade w/ Philadelphia) - Dorial Green-Beckham
Another tough one to guage. They could go Gurley, WR, or a big body to put next to Watt. RT is a question mark as well. At this spot they have a good choice of replacements for Andre Johnson. They take a shot on the extreme upside and grab Dorial.

21. (TRADE)Dallas Cowboys - Todd Gurley
Dallas is seeing these moves and Jerry gets antsy. McFadden isn't a starter. Gurley will be when healthy. And I finally put a RB in the 1st round.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers - Owamagbe Odighizuwa
Pitt needs corners, but they feel they can get one later on in the draft. They hold their breath a bit with Dallas moving up, but end up with the guy they want.

23. Detroit Lions - Ereck Flowers
The Lions lost Suh and Fairley. They could replace them here and give Ngata some help. Instead, they try to protect Stafford and try to allow the offense to take off again.

24. Arizona Cardinals - Marcus Peters
Another popular landing spot for a RB. But they decide to go for a CB instead and grab RB later. This is a good landing spot for Peters.

25. Carolina Panthers - D.J. Humphries
Is there anything more needed that O-line here?

26. Baltimore Ravens - Breshad Perriman
The Ravens need some weapons for Flacco. They go with the speedster. Steve Smith laughs to himself.

27. Cincinnati Bengals (From trade w/ Dallas)- T.J. Clemmings
Bengals back on the clock after trading behind most of the division. They lose out on 2 OT prospects in the process. But still a few available. They take a Pitt guy and brings him to Ohio.

28. Denver Broncos - Cameron Erving
The Broncos really wanted to get in on the OT's as well but have missed most of them. They take the top O-Lineman on the board in Erving. He's played everwhere and Denver will start him somewhere.

29. Indianapolis Colts - Eddie Goldman
Colts could use some more muscle in the middle. They like Eddie at this spot.

30. Green Bay Packers - Eric Kendricks
I did it! Kendricks back in a mock and in the 1st! I would heavily consider a trade down here. A few on the board I could see someone trading up for. But I'll go Kendricks. CB can still be had in the 2nd round.

31. New Orleans Saints - Shaq Thompson
They traded up for a WR earlier in the round. They take a shott on Shaq Thompson here and hope he plays where they tell him to.

32. New England Patriots - Jordan Phillips
Patriots are fine with Phillips medical history. He helps replace Wilfork.

Packers
1. Erik Kendricks, ILB
Yep, I did it, now get off my back.

2. CB (Eric Rowe, Quinten Collins, Ronald Darby, Jalen Collins, Alex Carter).
Take your pick. I don't know, but they'll pick ones of these guys if available there.

3. Henry Anderson, Stanford, DE
Been mocking this guy to us lately. Just a feeling.

4. Justin Cox, Mississippi St, CB/S
Good size, athletic, fast. Could be ball hawking safety.

5. Wes Saxton, South Alabama, TE
Pair him with Rodgers and we are good at TE.

6. Brandon Bridge, South Alabama, QB
Going to stick with my South Alabama duo.

6. Deion Barnes, Penn State, DE/OLB

6. Robert Myers, Tennessee St, OG/OT

7. Sage Harold, James Madison, LB
paco

Re: Paco Mock 2015.9 - Round 1 and Packers full mock

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:29 pm

I like it and I like Kendricks at 30.

Could he be drafted later? Yes, but I doubt we'll find a willing trade partner at our spot unless one of the Top 15 guys for some reason is still on the board.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby YoHoChecko » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm not a fan of Wes Saxon. At his size, I'd want to see a guy with more experience as a FB or lead blocker type. If you're gonna be a short TE, you better have good versatility. This guy right now is basically a receiving TE, which isn't ideal at only 6'3"

I can't remember why I turned off of Cox, so I should look back into that, but something jumped out at me.

I'm glad to see Robert Myers in some other mocks

And as to Ghost's statement about not being able to trade back, a team has traded into the back end of the first round at least once a year for at least the past 5 years, so it doesn't necessarily take special circumstances. We just gotta be lucky to be in the right spot to get the right calls.
YoHoChecko

Postby paco » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm

YoHoChecko wrote:I'm not a fan of Wes Saxon. At his size, I'd want to see a guy with more experience as a FB or lead blocker type. If you're gonna be a short TE, you better have good versatility. This guy right now is basically a receiving TE, which isn't ideal at only 6'3"

I can't remember why I turned off of Cox, so I should look back into that, but something jumped out at me.

I'm glad to see Robert Myers in some other mocks

And as to Ghost's statement about not being able to trade back, a team has traded into the back end of the first round at least once a year for at least the past 5 years, so it doesn't necessarily take special circumstances. We just gotta be lucky to be in the right spot to get the right calls.

I get what you are saying on Saxton. But in the 5th, I'm willing to take a flyer on the possibility that he develops into a nice receiving threat. I don't view TE as a huge need at this point, so I didn't take one earlier.

Cox has a history. Had to spend 2 years in JUCO. Was arrested for domestic violence. So there are red flags. But he's very athletic and versatile. Could thrive in the right environment. Wouldn't have to start right away with us. Without the flags, my guess is he would go a good bit higher based on potential.

I've wanted to get Myers in a few mocks. Too much talent there to not take a flyer on him at that point. May very well be gone by then.

Always tough to figure out trades. Always the potential for teams to jump back into the 1st round. I'm trying not to have us trade back. I want to most years, including this year.
paco

Postby YoHoChecko » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 pm

I'd propose looking into James O'Shaughnessy. He's an inch taller, a better blocker, very similar workout numbers (mostly better), and should be available later

Saxton:
Height: 6033
Weight: 248
40 Yrd Dash: 4.65
20 Yrd Dash: 2.79
10 Yrd Dash: 1.70
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.49
3-Cone Drill: 7.29

O'Shaughnessey: