Waldo's Mock, v1

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

Waldo's Mock, v1

Postby Waldo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Allright, I'm finished with a rough draft of my draft board and wanna give it a couple passes to tune it up a bit. I'll post a link to it early next week.

Round 1:
Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin, 6'1", 215 lb
- I've written about the general value of RB's in the late first, however there is more to it than this. This is a stacked draft for RB's, especially big backs, so I think one of the top 2 will fall and be solid value here. Also just looking over my board, the only other positions where I suspect there might be some value is either CB or OLB. The presence of Lacy sort of masks the fact that oft injured Starks is going into the last year of his deal (and not likely to be resigned), and GB has noone else. Gordon would be ideal to pair with Lacy and would give GB one of the best 1-2-3 punches in the game at RB.

If one of the top 2 backs doesn't fall, I'd look to pick CB Eric Rowe, who is what GB looks for in a CB to a T, and who has a decent chance of still being there at #30.

Round 2:
Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 243 lb
- I would suspect that he's in a decent % of mocks and it has been written that GB is real high on him. ILB is a huge need and he might just be the best in the draft; if nothing else he's the most athletic, and as recent years has shown, athleticism matters between the hashes.

Round 3:
Ibraheim Campbell, FS, Northwestern, 5'11", 208 lb
- At this point I think Hyde is definitely going to move to CB, which means that S will be a bit light (surely one reason Richardson was matched). GB has a need at both CB and S, this is a bad S class (and nothing special at CB). Ibraheim is the tallest midget IMHO. Physically he's everything you look for in a FS. He should at least be a solid backup to Burnett.

Round 4:
Craig Mager, CB, Texas State, 5'11", 201 lb
- Fits GB's CB mold, one of the only guys this draft to do so at CB. Pretty similar in a lot of respects to Davon House, who left in free agency.

Round 5:
Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma, 6'6", 252 lb
- A little on the slow side, but a big target with good catching ability. Bell used to be a QB for Ok, Mac has said multiple times that he likes those guys as pass catchers. Jordy was a QB in HS, Cobb in college, Jones was in HS. Knowing how the QB sees the field is a valuable trait. Bell seems like he can develop into that guy that is there when Aaron needs a guy to be there.

Round 6:
Mark Glowinski, OL, West Virginia, 6'4", 307 lb
- One of the G/T tweener types that Ted likes to take. A GB OL on paper no doubt, though he was a college G (at least at WVU after transferring from JUCO), not a T, Ted almost always takes college T's. But i think he's a value pick at this point, and is groomed to be an eventual heir at G.

Round 6:
Kristjan Sokoli, DE, Buffalo, 6'5", 290 lb
- This dude is a straight up physical freak; by far the most athletic big man in the draft. He can outjump most CB's!, and is faster and more agile than all other DL. He immigrated from Albania as a child. Might have been a bit miscast as a NT in Buffalo, but that experience will come in handy at 3-4 DE.

Round 6:
Marcus Rush, ILB, Michigan State, 6'2", 247 lb
- GB is probably going to need 2 ILB's to restock the position. Rush can run and is hella agile, which if nothing else should make him a good STer, though he's built to be a WILB and should be able to cover at the pro level.

Round 7:
Jordan Leslie, WR, BYU, 6'2", 204 lb
- Ted has a trend going where he takes an athletically gifted WR in the 7th. Leslie is a prime target to be that guy this year. Transferred to BYU to play another year after graduating from UTEP.
Waldo

Re: Waldo's Mock, v1

Postby Ghost_Lombardi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 pm

I don't have a problem with Gordon or Gurley at 30, but I suspect others will. I feel like we have Lacy and little else at RB, to be honest. An ACL and we got an old Starks. Also, Lacy is in his 3rd year. Will we want to pay for a 2nd contract with Lacy?

Hopefully Anthony lasts until our 2nd Rounder.

Sokoli is one of the most gifted athletes in the draft.
Meh.
Ghost_Lombardi

Postby British » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 am

I do love the logic of a late round RB and the extra cheap year just when you need it.

Double dipping at ILB is nice and Anthony or one of the other guys in that 2nd round bunch makes sense there.

Nice to have a couple of late round athletic freak fliers to keep an eye on too.

No edge rusher would worry me with Perry and Neal maybe on their way but one can't have everything. Switching one of the ILB to OLB and hoping Bradford or a beefed up Richardson makes a run at ILB would be my preference.

Loving the lack of DL up high in this mock. Obviously if there is value there then great but we have a number crunch on the line already without using more draft resources there.
G.K. Chesterton: There are two ways to have enough: One is to accumulate more, the other is to desire less.
British

Postby backthepack4ever » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 am

Love mg3 just not to us at 30. I hear your reasoning, but we aren't dead at rb. Guys can be had and successful later on. Our oline is the best it's been in a long time. They will make a later guy get the job done. The thought of Gordon and Lacy is nice, but with I don't seeing us feeding both of them enough short term.

Outside of that, everything looks awesome and reasonable. Anthony at the end of the 2nd is a major win. Get some groomable athletes that can help out and we are sitting pretty.

:AOK
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby paco » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Nice to see I was on track with Mager as a prospect for us. I could really see us going 3rd/4th round for CB instead of early.
paco

Postby YoHoChecko » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:I don't have a problem with Gordon or Gurley at 30, but I suspect others will. I feel like we have Lacy and little else at RB, to be honest. An ACL and we got an old Starks. Also, Lacy is in his 3rd year. Will we want to pay for a 2nd contract with Lacy?

Hopefully Anthony lasts until our 2nd Rounder.

Sokoli is one of the most gifted athletes in the draft.

I don't have a problem with Gurley at 30, but I do with Gordon. Gordon is one of a handful of talented bigger backs in this draft. Gurley is special. There's a reason he's being talked about in the top 15 despite coming off of an ACL tear. He has all the tools to be Lynch or Peterson. After him, I just don't see the value at RB because the class is so deep and the chances of being special are so low.

I also think that Anthony is living off of workout numbers that specifically have not shown up on the field. I've seen so many people allude to his stiffness and difficulty changing directions on the field. Waldo has written about how Hawk is a rare case where the workout numbers never translated. I believe strongly that Anthony is another of those rare examples.

I have no problem with Mager, as he does fit the profile, but I think that Darryl Roberts fits it even better and is similarly valued in the draft (and has a visit with GB). I feel like he's a guy that the Packers will find more valuable than many other teams and that makes him a good bet to be our pick at some point. I think Roberts' film is better, as well as his workout numbers. Roberts is the same height, he is faster (4.38 to 4.44), has basically identical short shuttle, but a much superior 3-cone (6.66 to 6.83). He also jumped an inch higher.

I like the athletes you scoop up late.
YoHoChecko

Postby British » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

The one guy I really want is that FB from Bama. One of the best at the position to come out for a while. He can block for his old buddy Lacy, can run a bit and catch it. I'm seeing the long term replacement for Kuhn.
G.K. Chesterton: There are two ways to have enough: One is to accumulate more, the other is to desire less.
British

Postby BF004 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm

If Gordon is the top guy on our board at 30, I'd be all for trading back ~5 slots to see if he still is.
BF004

Postby NCF » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

BF004 wrote:If Gordon is the top guy on our board at 30, I'd be all for trading back ~5 slots to see if he still is.

Waldo has been beating the drum for a while on the 1st-Round RB due to the ability to use the 5th-year option on their contracts. Use 'em up and spit 'em out. RB's aren't generally going to be worth a second contract in the NFL anymore.

It will be really interesting to see how we handle Lacy.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby Pckfn23 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 pm

He won't last that long anyway, so no need to worry.
No, every post is not secretly about wanting Capers fired.
Pckfn23
Brigade
Brigade

Postby BF004 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:00 pm

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:If Gordon is the top guy on our board at 30, I'd be all for trading back ~5 slots to see if he still is.

Waldo has been beating the drum for a while on the 1st-Round RB due to the ability to use the 5th-year option on their contracts. Use 'em up and spit 'em out. RB's aren't generally going to be worth a second contract in the NFL anymore.

That would still be a very expensive 5th year, I'd rather save the money in years 1-4 and bust out the transition/franchise tag if need be, then reap the comp pick.

Although we saw a long time, 2008-2013 how having a bad RB can really hurt our offense. A good RB, like a good TE like Finley, can really force the D's hand on how they guard us.
BF004

Postby JustJeff » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:14 pm

BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

That would still be a very expensive 5th year, I'd rather save the money in years 1-4 and bust out the transition/franchise tag if need be, then reap the comp pick.

Although we saw a long time, 2008-2013 how having a bad RB can really hurt our offense. A good RB, like a good TE like Finley, can really force the D's hand on how they guard us.

If Lacy were a 1st, his 5th year would be about $4.67M
JustJeff
Commissioner
Commissioner

Return to 2017 Draft War Room