NCF Mock Draft 2.0

This forum will be for discussions related to the 2018 draft.

Once the 2017 NFL season is complete, we will merge the discussions into the main Packers forum to ensure all football talk will be in one forum.

Moderators: salmar80, NCF, JustJeff, packfntk, APB, BF004, mnkcarp

NCF Mock Draft 2.0

Postby NCF » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Comp Picks:4th Round Pick (Tramon Williams) & 5th Round Pick (Davon House)

ROUND 1

Jack Conklin, OT Michigan State
6'6" - 318 - rJr

STRENGTHS: Conklin is well-built with excellent core strength, using his powerful upper body and center of gravity to be a mauler in the run game. He lines up with a firm anchor and rarely plays in reverse with quick eyes and smarts to pick up extra blockers. Very quick-minded and never takes a play off.

ROUND 2

Travin Dural, WR LSU
6'2" - 192 - rJr

Speedster who emerged as the leader of LSU’s receiving corps in 2015 … Deep threat with tremendous hands who was named to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List in 2014 ... Long stride that allows him to blow by defenders ... One of the fastest players on the team with a sub-4.4 40-yard dash ... Played in 25 career games with 13 starts … Has 44 receptions for 903 yards and nine TDs for his career …

ROUND 3

Joshua Perry, OLB Ohio State
6'4" - 254 - Sr

STRENGTHS: Perry only knows how to play one speed with a nonstop motor, and his approach allows him to make stops other linebackers can't. He has strong hands and wrists to take on blocks and finish tackles, not allowing road blocks to slow him down in pursuit. According to several close to the program, he is the "consummate teammate" due to his mature mental makeup and leadership traits on and off the field.

ROUND 4A

Charles Tapper, DE Oklahoma
6'4" - 283 - Sr

STRENGTHS: He extends well off the snap and uses his long arms to generate push with his upper body, displaying nonstop effort to motor through blockers.

ROUND 4B

Jerell Adams, TE South Carolina
6'5" - 232 - Sr

He is a big-boned, well-built athlete with the natural frame to slow down defenders and the length to control at the point of attack. Adams plays with some stiffness and doesn't smoothly adjust to the football, but he has very good straight-line acceleration for his size and makes decisive 90-degree turns in his routes, picking up steam as he goes, Brugler writes. The 6-foot-6, 231-pound senior has flown under the radar on an underwhelming South Carolina offense. On the season, Adams has recorded 13 catches for 200 yards and two touchdowns. Brugler notes that Adams "is an intriguing mid-round prospect."

ROUND 5A

Kris Frost, ILB Auburn
6'2" - 240 - rSr

STRENGTHS: Has the speed to flash and the strength to hold up on the perimeter, along with athleticism and improved awareness as a junior. Displays agility and explosiveness. Athleticism can stand out in coverage at times. Has a flare for big plays, with the ability to make splashy plays in critical situations.

ROUND 5B

Paul James, RB Rutgers
6'0" - 205 - rSr

When healthy, James has a Ryan Mathews-like run style, squaring his body, lowering his pads and staying balanced through contact. Although he's not overly shifty with only average long-speed, he hits the hole with conviction and vision to find the cutback lane, finishing each run with his physical build and run demeanor.

ROUND 6

Shakiel Randolph, CB/FS Southern Methodist
6'3" - 219 - Sr

Randolph started six games for June Jones as a true freshman in 2012, making Conference USA’s all-freshman squad. He has been a solid contributor in the Mustangs’ lineup ever since. He has seen time at safety and cornerback in past years before sliding into the nickelback position. Randolph complements his physical skills with an inquisitive mind and a natural proclivity to reading people. He likes seeing how people tick. That’s the primary reason why he opted for a degree in psychology, which he picked up in just three years. He is currently taking graduate courses.

ROUND 7

Alex Huettel, OG/OC Bowling Green
6'4" - 309 - rSr

Huettel's physique (6-4, 309) isn't among the best in this class, and he likely won't test well at the NFL Scouting Combine. But as an intelligent player and flat-out mauler, he'll be a favorite of NFL offensive line coaches. MAC coaches voted him second-team all-conference the past two seasons, his second and third as a starter at guard. He has potential at center, as well, which gives him the versatility to stick as a reserve lineman as an NFL rookie despite likely being a late-round selection.

Previous Mocks
v1.0

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Re: NCF Mock Draft 2.0

Postby BF004 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Interesting, try to keep LT on a rookie deal instead of paying an average LT contract for Bakhtiari who is just that, average.
BF004

Postby NCF » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:20 pm

BF004 wrote:Interesting, try to keep LT on a rookie deal instead of paying an average LT contract for Bakhtiari who is just that, average.

Exactly. Would allow Sitton and/or Lang to be extended, as well. At this point, I'd rather keep the interior together, even at the expense of Bak.

Read more. Post less.
NCF

Postby YoHoChecko » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:48 pm

I like taking an OT. I think it's a need for depth if not replacement.

I also don't know who these people are, so that's making it tough to evaluate, really. I need to pay more attention to college football than I have been this year.

Very intriguing TE description there. I might like him.
YoHoChecko

Postby backthepack4ever » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:36 pm

Nice group! The top 4 picks would be great. Everything I've read about Perry is he is flying under the radar bc of other big names but not bc he can't play. Looks like a Ted pick.

Don't know anything about the rb but I see us finding one with questions about Starks future with us and limiting thickburgers touches bc of his style
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby OldPackerFan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Nothing prevents moving Bak inside either, should they lose either Sitton or Lang or moving him to RT if Bulaga continues to get hurt.
OldPackerFan

Postby backthepack4ever » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:00 am

OldPackerFan wrote:Nothing prevents moving Bak inside either, should they lose either Sitton or Lang or moving him to RT if Bulaga continues to get hurt.

I don't see Bak as a guard in the NFL. His game isn't in tight quarters.
Doubt Kills

"Everyone wants to be a BEAST, until it's time to do what real BEASTS do"
backthepack4ever

Postby JustisM » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:26 am

Hello friends.

Jack Conklin is overrated. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Spriggs from Indiana ends up passing him. He was a walk-on for a reason. Not really the dancing bear type, even at his size. The best pass-rusher in the Big 10 is Joey Bosa, a left end power rusher. Turay is the speed guy in the conference, and Conklin has been hurt. Not sure he should declare this season. Might end up at guard.

Charles Tapper is weird. He was running down Amari Cooper in a bowl game as a sophomore, but then they messed with his body/role at Oklahoma and he's really not impressive at all. He's going to be a late flier if he has a decent workout.
backthepack4ever wrote:
OldPackerFan wrote:Nothing prevents moving Bak inside either, should they lose either Sitton or Lang or moving him to RT if Bulaga continues to get hurt.

I don't see Bak as a guard in the NFL. His game isn't in tight quarters.
Ehh. Most thought he was going to end up at center.

Feedback on the first mock:
You have a thing for hurt dudes? LaMichael Fanning and Darius Hamilton are out. It sounds like Hamilton is going to go back to Rutgers if the staff sticks together.
Funny thing about this FB class. Baby Watt, Baby Gronk and Mualuga's cousin at USC are probably the top three guys and the best three we've seen in a while.
JustisM

Return to 2017 Draft War Room